It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Building a House in Bohol Philippines  (Read 36527 times)

Offline stevjulietb

Re: Building a House in Bohol Philippines
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 05:37:13 AM »
DaveH,,,,,when you leave panglao island in Bohol....if you turn right instead of left...left goes to tagbarliarn(sp)...to the right there are a couple of small coastal towns....i would be interested in your opinion of them,,,,If you get the chance...I know the land on panglao is high...I Like tag a lot more than Cebu city...

Steveb

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 06:50:04 AM »
Re:

>>left goes to tagbarliarn(sp)...<<

Dave, you need to get down there, as I've mentioned before, (nah nah a boo boo) and get them to fix that name so it's spelled correctly! It's obviously an ongoing problem. Both our wive's family's are from Panglao Island and except for that stupid 's' in 'Island' which I've finally adjusted to (what the hell were they thinking?) Panglao is easy on the tongue. I hear it's quite nice there and if our family doesn't move when I get there, well--I can always borrow a left handed bacon fryer, or something else I forgot to bring from the states.

That is if they don't put that darn airport they're talking about on our family land on Panglao, which is a real possibility. Then again, if they're still talking about it, it will probably be 40 years before they get around to building it...

But until they get it changed to Tagabilarian, I can't even fathom spending a lot of time there!

>>Look, I heard you're going down that way and I need you to tell them to change the name to TAGA BILARIAN, because that's the way it should actually be pronounced. I think we might be living around there sooner or later and that would help bunches--tell them I told you so. Thank you very much in advance, Dave.<<
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 12:31:43 PM »

Ray,

Is that your way of generously offering coconut, mango and papaya and some fresh tuba to everyone on this thread?  

Gee, what a nice guy!!

The tuba is on me, but…

You have to climb the coconut trees to harvest the nectar yourself.  ;D

Ray

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 12:31:43 PM »

Offline piglett

• your porkness
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 01:18:14 PM »

wow I never knew about philippine mobile homes  ;D ;D
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
I spoke to Ahay about this topic again today & asked her what would be her "ideal" choice of a place to live in The Philippines.
Her first choice is Pangasinan (her home province) followed by Tagaytay & then Bagiuo City. She said that she is open to almost anywhere in phil but she would prefer somewhere with a cool climate & she also said that there are certain provinces that she wouldn't want to live in but she didn't name them.

She also said (again) then she would rent first to make sure that she like the place.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
I spoke to Ahay about this topic again today & asked her what would be her "ideal" choice of a place to live in The Philippines.
Her first choice is Pangasinan (her home province) followed by Tagaytay & then Bagiuo City. She said that she is open to almost anywhere in phil but she would prefer somewhere with a cool climate & she also said that there are certain provinces that she wouldn't want to live in but she didn't name them.

She also said (again) then she would rent first to make sure that she like the place.

Some of my research had indicated that living too close to ur in-laws in the PI "can" lead to big problems.The good news is that you have over 7100 choices at high tide to choose from.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »
It's a real good sign I think, when a a Filipina you're going to wed wants to live, or return to live, in the Philippines sooner or later. It usually means that she looks at you as more than a 'ticket to ride' outta there.

If money wasn't the sticking factor, we'd be back over there now--my wife would just love it, back closer to family, the food, culture, etc.

That said, you guys still better count on her still wanting to see Disneyworld--and not just the Hong Kong version!

Offline z_k_g

• Gimingaw ko sa akong uyab!
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »
You have to climb the coconut trees to harvest the nectar yourself.  ;D

This is an excellent metaphor for getting a foreign bride!
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other -"sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful-just stupid.) RAH

Offline z_k_g

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »
SIP construction is just beginning to appear in my area (Mindanao) for commercial buildings. It looks very promising!

Dave

Guys,

The main advantages to SIP is the electricity savings for cooling, its over 60% of conventional building!  That's a huge savings over the life of a house and on your monthly electrical bill.

I also want to integrate some PV panels to power my AC units and possibly the refrigerator (These are the largest consumers of electricity in the home).  Tie into the grid for lights, washer dryer, misc items.  Get an instant on electric hot water heater also.

With a SIP panel house and just a set of 1KV panels for AC and Fridge, and some other tweaks in house design, you could save loads a month on electricity during the hottest months of the year and keep your house at 76 F year round.

This potential savings is another reason I want to build instead of purchasing.  Is building from the ground up a hassle, yeah, but it should be something you look at if you want to live in the Phil or eventually retire there.

Rent first in Bohol? 

Yes, that is probably necessary for all of the reasons shared and excellent advice!!!

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other -"sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful-just stupid.) RAH

Offline z_k_g

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »
It's a real good sign I think, when a a Filipina you're going to wed wants to live, or return to live, in the Philippines sooner or later. It usually means that she looks at you as more than a 'ticket to ride' outta there.

I totally agree!! 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 05:21:54 PM by zulukong »

Offline z_k_g

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »
Some of my research had indicated that living too close to ur in-laws in the PI "can" lead to big problems.The good news is that you have over 7100 choices at high tide to choose from.

Interesting viewpoint Piglett, but what about baby sitters, safety and having a whole village watch your back?   Advantages and disadvantages abound, I think its also a function of you and your wife's relationship with the family.

Your point is well taken, I will look for red flags when I visit, but who knows where things will end up!!

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Offline z_k_g

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »
Hey Zulukong,

I will be in Bohol in a few days. We will be relaxing and checking out land on Panglao Island and other areas of Bohol. If we move there, we will be neighbors.  ;D

Dave,

That would be awesome, but I gotta tell ya, my kids will be great in all of the sports so your kids better be ready!!

Oh yeah, and we need Ray as a neighbor also, he gives away free Tuba!!  I'll provide the shaded porch!! 

Offline Dave H

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »
Hey Rob,

I can't say or spell Tagbilaran City very well either! No matter how hard I try, I always seem to screw it up!  ;D Everyone there seems content with the name, so I don't think they will listen to me.

Actually, my wife's family is from a small town in Bohol, that has just a few letters and is spelled just like it is pronounced. (in Boholano, Cebuano, English, Tagalog, Spanish, German, Dutch, Swahili, etc.) ;D She is not from Panglao Island, but they do own a small piece of land there.

Dave

The developmentally disabled madman!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »
Interesting viewpoint Piglett, but what about baby sitters, safety and having a whole village watch your back?   Advantages and disadvantages abound, I think its also a function of you and your wife's relationship with the family.
Your point is well taken, I will look for red flags when I visit, but who knows where things will end up!!
Thanks for the heads up!!!

I think it's a 2 edged sword. I am a member of another board that shall remain nameless & at least 1 member there had to move after living rite down the street for his wife's family for a couple of years. Even his wife concured that another province is where they needed to be. I guess you could rent a small house as close as you could to her family & test the waters for a year or two. If everything checks out then forge ahead. If I remember rite Bear said he had "wife's family trouble" too & he doesn't live in the PI. It may depend on the family. If you are perceived as the meal ticket Kano then, you will definitely need to pack your bags after a while of all that. 

good luck
piglett

Offline Dave H

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
Hey zulukong,

I have lived in the barangay surrounded by my wife's family, and I really miss it! In my case there were more advantages than disadvantages. Sure, there sometimes were minor annoyances, like more tsimis and lack of privacy when we just wanted to hole up in our cave.  ::) I just didn't answer the door and waited for the "A yo's" to stop, then started up where I left off.  ;D You are right, there was always plenty of family around that were happy to help with anything we wanted, including running errands, baby sitting, cooking, maintenance and fixing things, protection, etc. Whenever I go to my wife's barangay, I am surrounded by 10-20 children who give me "the mano" and carry everything I bring. One day when they are bigger and I am less mobile, I really expect them to grab a plastic chair and carry me.

As to safety, anyone that messes with the family (including messing with me) won't make it out alive! It kind of sucks if you like an occasional brawl like me.  ;) The police and military talk to the senior family member (my father-in-law, when he was alive) to get their blessing (approval) for any operations first. A family member in the PNP or military are always present at such times.

If one can't stand their mother-in-law then LOOK OUT MAN!!! Your wife will probably turn into her clone somewhere down the road...I have seen it happen time and time and time and time...again!

Dave
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:49:00 PM by Dave H »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 07:19:10 PM »
Most of my family lives about a 1000 miles from me. We get along great.

My wife's family lives about 11,000 miles from her and she gets along even better with them.

Offline z_k_g

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 07:23:07 PM »
If you are perceived as the meal ticket Kano then, you will definitely need to pack your bags after a while of all that. 

I think that this will always be the case, we ALWAYS be seen as the rich Kano!  That is an issue whether you live in PI or not.  

I think if you live there however you become a more accessible potential "meal ticket" so that's a possible BIG negative.  

This is where my ignorance of PI shows and one of the major reasons I joined this forum.  I have no clue how to handle this real time!  I mean I know that I will not tolerate the constant help with anything imaginable, but some assistance is expected and tradition because there is no Social Security in PI for the parents.  Plus I'm family oriented and not a selfish person.

But where to draw the line?  This is a serious discussion topic with my sweetie and I really want to do engage this subject in person and not over chat/cam or email.

Any thoughts?  

Guys, have you had this talk yet, got any input?

Offline evoltnvii

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »
Guys, have you had this talk yet, got any input?

I Actually just talked about this with my girl and her thoughts are this. In the same province is good because your close enough to interact with family on a regular basis BUT...... not so close they can just walk over anytime and impose on you or involve you in any of their hassles day to day.
I drank what!!!!!!

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
I Actually just talked about this with my girl and her thoughts are this. In the same province is good because your close enough to interact with family on a regular basis BUT...... not so close they can just walk over anytime and impose on you or involve you in any of their hassles day to day.

so something that is 10 or 20 miles away mite work?

Offline z_k_g

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »

So how far you talking? across town, 1 hour away, a days trip?

Are you thinking of moving to PI?  Is your sweetie coming here?

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »

No she will want to move here so that she can make some real money as a nurse.
She wants to be able to send money back to the PI so that her younger sibling can attend college. her 17 year old brother will start in Sept. this year & she also has a 10 year old sister who will want to attend in a few more years.
I was just think about way out in the future ....maybe 20 years down the road.
who knows what this country will look like at that time. maybe the PI will be a 1st world country & the U.S. will be even further on the decline.

piglett

Offline evoltnvii

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 12:36:09 AM »
so something that is 10 or 20 miles away mite work?

in my situation her family lives in Bulacan near san ildefonso so something in the northern part of the province, baguio city, or tarlac is ideal. close enough that visits can be fairly frequent but far enough they cant just drop in.
I drank what!!!!!!

Offline evoltnvii

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 12:43:37 AM »

Not too far but far enough they need to plan on coming not just show up.

We have plans to buy property there and retire eventually.

Our petition was just approved on the 16th so she will be here by august im hoping.
I drank what!!!!!!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 12:43:37 AM »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 12:55:34 AM »

Hey zulukong,

Maybe 2 tricycle fares (2 rides = across town). When they get there don't answer the door and they will have two pay 2 fares to go back home.

Seriously, Filipinos will usually never ask a Kano directly for money, they are too shy or "embarrassed." They will ask your wife or fiancee. In my less than humble opinion, I have found that 99% of Filipinas and 99.9% of Kanos have created their own problems in this area.

Filipinas because of utang-na-loob ("reciprocity," sometimes taken to the extreme), guilt, amor propio (saving face), hiya (shame), a genuine sense of helping the less fortunate, putting others first, making others happy, etc. You cannot entirely blame Filipinas, as much of this is cultural and it is easy to not distinguish when it is taken too far or not socially acceptable to refuse. They have to learn creative ways to deal with these situations that won't cause them guilt and shame. Sort of like getting the Kano to throw away the spoiled, uncooked rice to avoid misfortune.  ;D On the negative side, there are some ladies who want to appear "rich," be respected, a big shot, and make others jealous. Philippine cultural traditions are usually very beneficial to the society and people in general. But rest assured, there is always someone standing by who is willing manipulate matters and take advantage of the situation, just like in any other society (advanced or primitive, First or Third World) on earth!

Kanos are another matter entirely!!! Most will blame Filipinos and their culture and never accept any blame themselves! They come to the Philippines acting like a rich, powerful, big shots. They want to impress their lady, her family, and friends! "She has a very rich and generous Kano!"  Many Kanos throw money around while in the Philippines, brag about their wealth and all of their material possessions, and everything that they will buy in the Philippines. They make all kinds of promises...a huge new house with a swimming pool for mama and papa (who don't even swim), a new expensive vehicle, advanced private school education and college for the siblings, expensive cellphones, motorcycles, multi cabs. dining out at McDo with the entire family  ;D, lavish parties, expensive trips, expensive jewelry, and on and on. Many Kanos start out doing some of these things...until the money starts to run low or out and the "requests" quite understandably continue and often begin to increase. What started out as "gifts," quickly turn into expectations and maybe even demands! Then the Kano often gets pissed and bad mouths all of the "evil, greedy Filipinos" and calls them derogatory names to anyone who will listen!...and even to those of us who don't care to hear it! These are the very same "loved ones (in the beginning)," that they helped create into greedy monsters! Many Filipinos believe that a Kanos' wealth is endless, that they really do pick the money off trees in the US, or that the ATM machine prints them an endless supply of money. They have never seen such a display of wealth, which is often a fancy facade to their real lives in America. To be fair, it is quite easy for a foreigner to spend money doing nice deeds, since so little money can go so far. Having $20,000 (approximately P 1 million) makes you a "millionaire" here. Besides the ladies are so beautiful and sweet. But, most Kanos  need to keep a rein on their spending, lest it gets out of control and becomes expected by the wife and/or her family. I think it is usually a case of a good family, that gets accustomed to and enjoys their new privileged lifestyle, rather than a bunch of miscreants looking for a Kano to victimize. Who can blame them?

I have noticed that many young Filipinas today are considering Kanos a commodity rather than a human being, with feelings and a heart that can be broken. I have also noticed many foreigners (some quite repulsive in demeanor and/or look) who act like they are God's gift to Filipinas! They walk around with their young (many are underage) "arm candy" and act like their she-it doesn't stink!

The solution....Don't ever let this get started! It is OK to give sometimes, just not to everybody and for everything. Don't give the impression that money comes easily to you and that you have an endless supply. Learn to say "no." Teach you wife the same, it can be done in a polite way. "I am sorry! I really wish that we could help! But we don't have any extra money now" "Walay quarta (We have no money), I was going to ask you if we could borrow money from you!" Eventually people will get the picture and stop knocking at your door with their hands out.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Many of these "leeches" were created by the very same people who now complain about them! I have found that the poorest Filipinos are the most humble and the least likely to ever ask you for money, even in desperate times of life or death.

Good luck!

Dave
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:25:55 AM by Dave H »

Offline z_k_g

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 02:55:35 AM »
Dave,

My sweetie does want to help her mother and father, I know this much.  Her parents never expected her to even meet a kano so I wasn't in that equation in terms of donations or support.  

I want her to help her parents but not overdo it.

I will definitely use your other pieces of advice also, some very sound and pragmatic stuff and it applies to wherever your live on this planet.

I think I got the info to build the house economically in PI, the hard part is actually living there and adjusting to the new neighbors, family and friends.

Thanks for the info!  This conversation really produced tons useful info for me and hopefully those that have followed it!  We should be able to put most of this advice to use immediately!!

Great thread!!  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:57:12 AM by zulukong »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345