Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 16, 2024, 02:14:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earning My "Papi"  (Read 27692 times)
Seeker
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Sounds like a lot of nonsense to me ..., posted by CartagenaPapito on Jan 8, 2005

Judging someone based on their ethnicity and city of residence might not surprise me coming from an ignorant teenager. However, coming from a 41 year-old adult is indicative of your lack of cognitive sophistication. As a Mexican-American, I have yet to experience any sign of animosity towards Mexicans in Colombia.
thunderbolt
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Sounds like a lot of nonsense to me ..., posted by CartagenaPapito on Jan 8, 2005

McAllen is not a bad place at all.  It is a fairly small town, and I would not want to live there b/c of that.  However, it is nice, clean, quiet, and really an equivalent of a nicer suburb of Houston or Dallas.  They have a very pretty hotel there and a lot of malls where wealthy Mexicans shop, sorta like outlets I guess.  Have you even been there?  If you want low class in Texas, that's Port Arthur, south of Beaumont.  Or North Florida, or Daytona Beach, etc.

I do know several Colombians, and several are actually close friends.  I have never probed them on the subject of their feelings towards Mexicans, but I never heard them say anything bad about them.  Besides, it is a rather low class thing to do to speak bad of a whole country (at least, unless yours is at war with it or something).

doombug
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

My wife (a Peruana) dated a Mexican and a Colombiano in the past.  She seemed to hold no grudge against either.  The Mexican wasn't in any rush to commit, and the Colombian was already married.

Rivalries abound.  My wife says that Peruanos and Chilenos are very bitter towards each other.  But there is a historic basis for it:  Chile fought two land-grab wars with both Peru and Bolivia in the 1800's.  It's not necessarily an ethnic hatred, though I've noticed some of their feuds reduce to such juvenile levels.

If a woman from Colombia tells you that she hates Mexicans, what's to say that--behind your back--she isn't telling a Mexican tourist that she hates gringos?

Frank O
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Sounds like a lot of nonsense to..., posted by doombug on Jan 9, 2005

I think the problem lies more so with "Papi" here & not with his chick. He does appear to have some severe problems HIS racism aside. I'd be my left nut he's never been to McAllen. Not that it's all that but there is a reason why we continue to awards for our city. Oh well, it's don't make a wart on a ducks arse. ;-)
Frank O
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Earning My "Papi", posted by CartagenaPapito on Jan 8, 2005

Being Latina & having dated numerous Latina ladies most would think of this as a sick thing bordering on an incestual fetish on your part. Not sure where you arrived at your conclusions etc regarding how important that term is TO YOU but to the ladies it would seem like a lot of mierda. Seems like other guys here MARRIED to latina ladies seems to say their ladies feel the same way. Just my dos centavos.
Pete E
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I have been enjoying my "Don" status here but you don't want to hear it from a girlfriend.
To one of my girl friends I am her "Mi Osito",little bear.
ME Amor seemsto be the most commonly uttered phrase in a passionate situation.I even get in to it myself,but probably need to augment it with some otherwords of amor in a little more convincing spanish.Amazing what the verbal will get you in response,not to be ignored.Missed by alot of gringos including this one alot in the past.

Pete

Chris F
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

In private..........my novia and soon to be wife refers to me as "Daddy"

She used to call me "Papi".......but calls her own Father that.......when she learned the word "Daddy" in English she switched....

Whose your Daddy?HuhHuh??

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CartagenaPapito
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Earning My "Papi"...I unde..., posted by Chris F on Jan 8, 2005

Exactly Chris. You got it going on brother!  Congrats on all. You have a sweet, pretty future wife that loves her "papi"
You have two kinds of novias/esposas as you have found out, those that call you papi and those that make excuses why they can't call you that.
Glad you see you in with the right group. Get ready to be spoiled like all get out!!!!!
ENJOY the ride ( yes pun intended) ja ja ja
Gator
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

My Colombian wife of fifteen years, who by the way is from an upper-class family, said no self-respecting Colombiana would use this term.  My wife favors mi vida or mi corazón or, if times are bad, perro gringo.
OkieMan
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Earning My "Papi", posted by Gator on Jan 8, 2005

Hey Gator,

To help the rest of us who don't know what any of that translates to;please clue us in.  Also, since we are talking about meanings and connotations of words and phrases; do you know any others that would be appropriate for this thread? I just think that it is very fascinating to learn all of these types of things, so that when the time comes, I will be much better informed and can make a positive impression on the lady in my life. Certainly, I would want to be very receptive when she would be paying me a compliment or getting romantic!

OkieMan

Heat
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

it's low class to use it.......
Red Clay
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Upper class women think......., posted by Heat on Jan 8, 2005

Interesting, my wife (Peruvian) said the same thing.
Heat
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Upper class women think......., posted by Red Clay on Jan 8, 2005

I know latin people
Red Clay
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Your wife is a smart women...., posted by Heat on Jan 8, 2005

Based on this thread I would say you do, Heat.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: