Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 20, 2024, 02:40:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife Making Friends  (Read 30330 times)
caliphile
« on: December 31, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Hello All,

My wife recently put it to me that she is having a hard time making friends in this country. We talked about the language barrier, gentrification, etc., etc. I finally volunteered to check the message boards and see if anyone had a wife, girlfriend willing to reach out to her. We live in Southern California, but she is able to use e-mail, chat and long distance.

You can post your replies on this e-mail list or reply to my e-mail at caliphile@adelphia.net and I will help to make arrangements.

Yours truely,

Caliphile

DaveyRich1
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Wife Making Friends, posted by caliphile on Dec 31, 2003

Caliphile,
We live in Las Vegas my wife has been here 2 1/2 years from Cali our # 702-496-4896 Call anytime
                     Good Luck
                            Dave
PS My wifes name is Zuleima
caliphile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Wife Making Friends, posted by DaveyRich1 on Jan 1, 2004

Great to hear from you.

I will give you a call this weekend. Hope that is convenient.

caliphile

caliphile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Wife Making Friends, posted by DaveyRich1 on Jan 1, 2004

Great to hear from you.

I will give you a call this weekend. Hope that is convenient.

caliphile

bigbdm4
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

The real problem is never what it seems to be.  If you can put your finger on it, it disappears.  The problem is always something other, something unknown or unrealized, it's never what you think it is.  I think it's interesting that you said she put it to you.  How did she do that?  I mean, how does a sweet girl put it to her husband?  Just curious.  

As an outsider, perhaps I can see from far what is difficult to see from up close.  She is missing her friends.  Why?  What did she lose when she came here?  Obviously, she lost something that she misses now.  Why can't she regain it here?  If she does not get out, or work here, that could be a big part of it.  Working is more important than most people realize.  If she does not have co-workers she can talk to, she is probably feeling isolated.  Unless she was an Internet junkie before, substituting it for live contact could do more harm than good, in my opinion.

The rule is simple.  Communication is the key.  The more you can communicate, the more you can live and the more life fills you with affinity and reality.  My free advice is to try to communicate more.  Also my opinion, language has very little to do with the actual problem, especially for a Spanish speaker in southern California.  If you were to ask me to guess, I would answer that she needs a job, a car, membership at the local YMCA or other fitness facility near you and that you see to it that she goes and keeps fit, a credit card with just a little credit, but enough to make her proud, and the responsibilities to manage all of that in addition to the gringo, you, that she married.  

I hope you share the house work.  Who cleans?  Who cooks?  If you expect her to pick up after you, don't expect her to be so happy about it.  What if the shoe were on the other foot?  Do you ever take her out?  Do you dance with her?  Do you surprise her with little gifts, and do you ever tell her that you love her?  

Good luck!

Big B

caliphile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Wife Making Friends, posted by bigbdm4 on Jan 1, 2004

Thanks for your important input.

I have considered your important questions as others have also posed important and realistic looks into the soul.

Yes, there is room for improvement. But, no, the relationship is not in trouble. Rather, my wife wants to spread her wings and fly. She looked to me for guidance and I, in turn looked to you.

Thanks again for your sincere inquiries.

caliphile

JBond
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Correction:   email: bondjames@attbi.com
JBond
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Me and my colombia wife live in west Los Angeles, She is on her way home today from Cali Colombia. I will gave her your email address and see what happens.

Our email is jamesbond@attbi.com

caliphile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Wife Making Friends, posted by JBond on Dec 31, 2003

Thanks,

I will forward it and see if there's a match.

Caliphile

Kiltboy1
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Be careful about who she "Networks" with
There is a so called "COLOMBIAN NETWORK" that both my wife and i have heard about here in America. These are basicly people that will befriend a person and help them to " asimilate" into the population. I have heard horror stories about wives getting persueded to leave her husband with talk of " American men are bad, you need to live with your own kind, ect , ect." They try to bascily brainwash a person that they do not need the American man for a husband , a visas or anything.

My wife was approacd at her English class and was asked "ARE YOU HAPPY BEING WITH AN AMERICAN" ? , AND WAS TOLD THERE WERE OTHER OPPORTUNITIES FOR HER.

Now that my wife and i are seperated, she has talked about moving to California or Arizonia if things do not work out with me. She knows no one there and i presume she has network names there of people to help her.

This is all true and none made up. Colombians stick together and help there own

CaliAdvisor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Wife Making Friends, posted by Kiltboy1 on Dec 31, 2003

Caliphile.. I wouldt listen too much to what this guy has to say. Your most important concern in this moment should be helping your wife assimilate into what can be a very lonely situation for her. Colombian people need good friends much more than americans. In Colombia, friendship are much stronger and friends can be relied on for everything. For this reason, your wife is almost certainly going through withdrawal from the warm, loving atmosphere that her friends and family provided her with in Colombia. While you can help create this atmosphere for her by caring for her, women need other women to do things with... Shop, gossip, go the beauty salon etc.. I would help her by putting her into situations where she can meet ppl of her age and posibly backgroud. While it is true, there is a strong colombian network in many cities, this is not somehting to be afraid of if you are confident in your marriage. Just make sure your wife picks her friends wisely. If your wife befriends a colombia that doesnt impress you as a good friend, your hunch is probably correct and you should express your disaproval early on in the relationship so that they dont become good good friends. There are plenty of colombians in the USA. Just my 2cents..
caliphile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Wife Making Friends, posted by Kiltboy1 on Dec 31, 2003

I have not heard about a "COLOMBIAN NETWORK" in CA. Although there is a yearly salsa festival around the time of Columbian Independence Day. We have not yet attended, although my wife and I did stop and look in, one year.

'Gringos' are more stable mates and they have the USA earnings power. This is usually enough to make a relationship work. Columbian men are good role models for their families. But it is impossible to survive in their economy.

My wife has not shared your comment with me, however, I do not think she is taking steps to go back to her native land. Instead, I think she expressed a desire to have friends and do things.

If you want them to network, that would be OK. Drop me a line and let me know how to get in touch.

caliphile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: