Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 27, 2024, 11:42:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 2624 times)
Cecil
« on: January 19, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

I have been writing to the philippines for over two years and i can say that I have never witnessed the type of chaos which exists over there.  I am sorry to be negative but in the past very few ladies would ask for money.  Now I am being asked for assistance by virtually every filipina.  The businesses over there are laying off and firing workers everywhere.  The current impeachment of President E. along with the fear of terrorism had created a sense of panic.  I was talking to a filipina in Manila who was telling me that they were impeaching their president.  i told her that President Clinton was also impeached.  She asked me if we were going to send Clinton to jail.  I said no in America we find it cheaper to pension him off.  Would someone who knows tagalog be kind enough to tell me what "nakakahiya" means.  Thanks again!

Cecil

Willy
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Random Thoughts, posted by Cecil on Jan 19, 2001

Nakakahiya means, I believe, a sense of shame..
cc
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Actually, nothing much has changed in the Philippines at all. It always was poor and chaotic, and its Presidents and other Officials corrupt. Some more, some less. Remember the People's Revolution? Remember the days when not only the MORO were active in Mindanao, but also Communist Rebels?

You are right, I also observed that more and more penpals are asking quite upfront about money or cell phone or... I think this is in part because there are so many foreigners now communicating (via e-mail or internet) with Filipinas, that word has spread that penpals are a convenient source of income. Most Filipinas will never end up married to their penpals, but they may be able to get some cash on the way....

Jimbo
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Cecil,

nakakahiya - very shameful

Erap could be done today.  The AFP and PNP just pulled their support, the peso jumped from 56 to 47, and a march to the palace this morning will attempt to force Erap to resign and then swear in the VP, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.  If People Power 2 can accomplish a lawful constitutional transition without bloodshed, it will be amazing.

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: