Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 23, 2024, 10:02:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youngish Asian Women and Older Western Men  (Read 49045 times)
Westerngrrl
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Age vs. education., posted by shadow on Jan 22, 2001

Daddy's sending me to London and Paris this summer
shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Nah..., posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 22, 2001

to get Daddy to send you to the philippines instead, to do volunteer work with the poor for a month.  I guarantee you will learn more there than a year in college. Got the guts?  NAHH!! Larry.
Dave H
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to I challenge you..., posted by shadow on Jan 22, 2001

Larry,

You are right! They could sure use the help. It could change one's own life forever also. I only went to visit my fiancee and I will never be the same. Every time I see a show on TV about the people in the Philippines, I get choked up. Then I see the people walking through the mud, ragged clothes, the nipa huts and I get tears fill my eyes. I would really like to take my sons for a visit. Looking at my photos and video doesn't have the same affect as actually being there.  

I met several groups of missionaries on my way to and from the Philippines. They were some very nice people. Some were first timers, others had been there many times. They had a good time, learned a lot, were humbled, and helped many people. I thought about going back one day as missionary. However, for now it looks like I have found my mission in Barangay 17. Some families can't even afford rice.

I spent 20 years picking up the pieces of what used to be humans and tried to save their lives. The Philippines cut deeper into my heart than that. It brought me out of my hardened shell. These people suffer every day. They also suffer the same traumas and illnesses that occur in the west and don't receive adequate medical treatment because they are poor.

Dave H.

shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Europe can wait. Please accept!, posted by Dave H on Jan 22, 2001

change ones life forever. I spent a year studying the PI before my first trip, but nothing could have prepared me for what I found. The street people here haven't a clue how well off they are to be in good ol' USA. I intend to donate as much time there as I possibly can toward helping the people. I think in that way I can find inner peace and satisfaction to this date unknown to me. I know I can't change the world, but if I can make a difference in one or two families lives it will be worth ANY amount of effort it takes. I think everyone should take a trip to the philippines, because NO amount of reading, movies, or pictures can really depict the hardship and poverty. Only by seeing and experiencing it first hand does one get the real picture. Odd part is, as a people they seemed so much happier and at peace with the world than most anybody I know here. I want some of what they have. Larry.
Westerngrrl
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to I challenge you..., posted by shadow on Jan 22, 2001

He wouldn't like it.  When I told him that a friend of mine joined a convent and went to South America for missionary work, he told me that she was crazy.
shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: I challenge you..., posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 22, 2001

you could convince him. You obviously are very strong willed and intelligent. It would be a learning experience like you couldn't imagine. It would cost less than half what you would spend going to paris and london, and fun too. I intend to spend 1/4 of my available time this year working with the poor there in one respect or another, and I must support myself while doing so. I doubt you would have to worry about the financial end of it, so what's keeping you from doing something? You must have some interest in what makes these women marry older men or you wouldn't be on this board, what better way to find out for yourself than to immerse yourself in their culture and hardships for a few weeks? Think about it. You would be doing something good in the world, what good is your paris and london trip going to do? Come on, show the world that you are a caring and compassionate person, instead of a narrow minded selfish one. Larry.
Westerngrrl
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ahh, but..., posted by shadow on Jan 22, 2001

Maybe when I graduate.  I'll be spending this summer worrying about grad school applicatons!
Westerngrrl
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Ahh, but..., posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 22, 2001

I'm actually spending the spring semester there.  Be back here in July. :-)
shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Not the ENTIRE summer, posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 23, 2001

left to do what I am suggesting. Get a REAL education, instead of just a piece of paper. Larry.
Westerngrrl
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Then you'd have plenty of time..., posted by shadow on Jan 23, 2001

No.  July and August will be spent prepping for my GRE's and GMAT's
shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Ahh, but..., posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 22, 2001

Smiley
Nathan
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Youngish Asian Women and Older Western M..., posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 21, 2001

You say you  "fail to understand". That is OK, we all fail
by times. With some experience in life, you may see it from a different point of view. Your assumptions about people being Fat Old Ugly Bald guys is kind of funny though, rather telling about the shallowness of your mind,(In your mind, it seems you really value this stereotype, it seems you are a bigot) though perhaps your do want to know. Whoever you find to please you is really none of our business...as they say, the world is a big place. Don't you value diversity?
Westerngrrl
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Your failure, and lack of respect for di..., posted by Nathan on Jan 22, 2001

I value diversity when it comes to ethnicity, religion (unless it's some sort of cult), etc...but not when it comes to age or education.  No respectable girl with a BA degree should date a man who dropped out of high school, for example.  Same said person shouldn't date a man who isn't making a simlar amount of money either.  It is the way the world works.  A man dating a much older, "wealthy" woman is only after her money.  Ditto with a woman with an older man. Hate to break it to ya, but that's the way it usually works.
Paulv
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Your failure, and lack of respect fo..., posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 22, 2001

Actually -- the way that the 90% of the World that isn't American or American controlled Works is this:

Take American "so called" norms, throw them away, that's how the World works.

And it's been doing that for a million years of so...

Funny, once upon a time America resembled the Rest of the World.....until about 30 years ago.

Saddest part is, people caught up in your "rules of the norm" are usually the unhappiest, saddest people in the world....

And anyone who has actually traveled to see and experience the non-American world, who has opened up their eyes and ears and tuned into another culture knows this is true ...

Good Luck to you.

Paulv

Nathan
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Your failure, and lack of respect fo..., posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 22, 2001

You are telling me the way the world works? Well I have traveled in over 60 countries and lived in 6 and it seems that it  is YOU who needs a lesson on the way the world works! You are looking at the world through a cultural and educational pinhole. The stereotypes you draw are pretty accurate for the USA, about 4% of the world's population.
You obvously don't know much about the other 96% of the world. I would rather not put you down, but encourage you to check the rest of the world out, travel with open eyes and an open mind and you could learn something. Without that
perspective you just come across as another American bimbo, looking at the world through the keyhole on her mentally LOCKED front door.

Regards,

nathan

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: