Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 25, 2024, 08:43:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: for knowledge is power in case u did not see  (Read 17282 times)
colman
« on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Born in the states with Colombian heritage. Usually when I go back to Colombia with parents to visit family we bring them "cosas tipicas"--typical things found in the city or region you live in the states. For example, many Colombian Floridians take Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat, and other city/state sports apparel for (this is especially true for the 12-20 yr. age group). For little girls they take those glass bottles novelties that when you shake snow or confetti spread inside the liquid filled scene of dolphins in the ocean or any character from Walt Disney. We're from Chicago so we take them Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, Fire sports apparel for the males or a $20-$30 Timex, Coleman sports watch (it might be a lower end brand but greatly appreciated in Colombia.) Anything "new" in the states that is relatively inexpensive such as toys, walkmen, and sunglasses--you know go to "toys R us" get the kids (10-18) an electronic "simon says" or an electronic hand-held game--these usually dont go over $25 in price. Listen all these gifts are about $25-$35 dollars. The point is dont go overboard but the more "raro" or "differente" the better, (rare and different) be unique. For the future suegras--get them you know a porcelain "plate" showing a scene of your city--GOD THEY LOVE THIS--like a downtown scene of Chicago or "liberty" bell of Philly or is it Pittsburgh?--anyway dont go over $30 dollars--Here's a tip--I was in charged of the gift selection and there were many people in the list but I got nice leather belts or sports hats or shirts--or watches--for all the grown men--everyone appreciated the gifts even though they got the same type of gift (thier men)--all these gifts cost about $25 each at Sears, Marshall's, Target, Wal-Mart. For the ladies be more picky in choosing gifts--maybe a Tommy Hilfiger shirt, Polo, Gap--something kinda what a clothes-conscious college student will wear or something they can use like an organizer--about $40 (and they do have them in Spanish if you look close enough) a CD walkmen, (sony, jvc, emerson, panasonic) this is probably going to set you back aobut $50 dollars and give her a couple of your CDS that you like--she would be the envy of her friends. GREAT GREAT gift might be (saw this in Miami on vaction one time) an authentic coat of arms or ensignia of her family last name and an explication of where her name came from and some history on a very elaborate, delicate engraved paper..about $30 at the time--DUDE--seindo detallista---"the little details" Colombian women (women in general) love this--it shows you took the time to search something different, rare for her.---Anyway can give you lots more examples but I can smell the lechona Tolimensa and arepas de choclo--help this helps--God Bless--Colman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KnowledgeIsPwr
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to for knowledge is power in case u did not..., posted by colman on Dec 25, 2002

Colman,

Your feedback was superb!

As I mentioned, I'm just wanting to get some ideas, and you have given me a ton of them.

Thank you, and I wish you and your family a blessed Holiday Season!!!

KIP

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: