Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 25, 2024, 01:49:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Colman!!! - Gift ideas....  (Read 25761 times)
KnowledgeIsPwr
« on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Dude,

I totally read your other post, and I thank you once again.

I'm a person who really likes to understand a persons culture, and I really appreciate it if I could continue to get as much feedback from you as you'd like to give.

I know that Latins are very family centric, I would welcome some additional ideas/thoughts about the familia as a whole?

-What did you get your Mom, or your woman's mother?

Also, I would welcome any really good food recipes that you or your family are willing to share.  I've scoured the Net, and there isn't really anything to be found.

Thanks Bro, and if you'd like, or need anything from Los Angeles, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Wishes,

KIP

colman
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to For Colman!!! - Gift ideas...., posted by KnowledgeIsPwr on Dec 25, 2002

.............I just started a new job and the overtime is suffocating. I have been posting less than usual but I will get back at your questions and genuine input asap. Type in colombia on your keyword section--it will take you to Colombian news but also to recipes-they have decent ones for ajiaco (Bogota specialty-cremed corn, potatoes,...etc..) sancocho, empanadas, natilla, arepas. Maybe you can go to barnes and noble bookstore go to cookbook section and although their probably wont be an esclusive book on any one south american country they do have decent ones with many recipes from south american as a whole. The family?--well that can be tricky since each colombian, south american, latina family can be different but the best advice is to remember that latinas as with asians or middle eastern people have thier cutoms and idiosyncranicies pretty much set and although we americans like pragmatic solutions to everything (including myself) its best to not try to "suggest" to them a "better" method-in general------ON THE OHTER HAND--Latinos I believe and to a larger extent colombians love for a non-latino to feel welcome and they love even more for somebody who is genuinely interested in thier culture. The best thing is to be patient and consume as much info when you observe them in a family gathering or social function---learn how the young ladies and men were raised--(you can tell for example--if the young lady or male is very talkative or always smiling and joking they most likely have been raised in a unsheltered, unreserve, good upbringing and vice-versa). Best gifts for a latina girlfriends mom--well, again you can use clues subconsciously set forth in a social event or family gathering--for example if the future "suegra" remembers many religious events when she was a child (happen to me once)--for mother's day I gave her a scapular and a very nice nativity set--all hand-crafted wood from Belize (her b-day is in Dec.) or if the future "suegro" recounts to his guests that he remembers beating a rival "pueblito" team in soccer with a "golden goal" you can research some old newspapers with pictures of old soccer players in the 50's, 60's, 70's with a soccer shirt (old soccer newspapers are kept and prized in Colombia by die-hard, hooligan style old men soccer fans) ---Again the object is to be differnt and connect that gift with something congruent with their personality--it can get frustrating--but with a little imagination the sky is the limit--again the secret is to be differnt and unique--the gift does not have to be necessarily expensive---KIP--and all who is reading this I DARE YOU to ask your Colombian gfs, female friends, translators if Colombian women like "hombres detallistas"--(thoughtful men who give unique gifts sometimes unexpectedly) and I guarantee you all of them will tell and explicate to you this cultural idiosyncracy between suitors is VERY APPRECIATED--or my name is not Colman--help this helps--God Bless --Colman
KnowledgeIsPwr
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to no problem but..........., posted by colman on Dec 26, 2002

Dr. Colman,

I can not thank you enough for your feedback!

Really good stuff!

It is my belief that we're cut from the same tree.

More then half of what you've suggested, or mentioned, to date, I've either done, in the process of doing, or thought about it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from you, and all that you have to contributed because it's SCIENCE, hence your new Title of Doctor (Dr.), and I hope that more of our AM brothern are taking notes, and paying attention.

For Christmas,

-I had to guess, no pun intended, on her sizes because we're still in the correspondence stage, but I'm pretty good with sizes, and I got some additional advice from realible sources.

I got here a matching Guess Outfit, Capri Pants, Guess Branded Top, and some Italian branded shoes.  I include a portable CD Player, w/Shakira's latest (Laundry Service), a home made CD of some current American Popular songs, i.e. Justin Timberlake, J Lo's "Jenny From the Block", and a few others, and a pair of Guess Sunglasses, along with a couple of other items from the heart. You know?!?!?!

I missed her birthday because we met after it, but I'd like to get her an item or two, and thus, why I was seeking some additional insight.  As well, AFTER THE FACT, I realized that I neglected to include anything for her sister, whom she's really close too, or her family in my Christmas package from the States.  I did mention that she could share her gifts with her family, but I'd like to send something for her familia as apart of her belated Birthday present. Hence, the indirect question about the Familia, as I don't know that much about them.

As for your new job, congraulations!!!!, but don't tell me how much you make!  I wouldn't want you to think I was out for your GOLD!!!!....lol.... '-)

I as well just started a new gig about two months ago, so I am TOTALLY feeling your pain.  Thanks for the heads up, and let's continue to just share what we can, when we can.

I really, and sincerely appreciate your feedback!

Best Wishes to you and all whom you love, and God Bless!!!

KIP

ps.  For those in the crowd.  "When and if you give because you want to, and not because you're asked, or feel you need to, it's not Gold Digging,....I think it's called...........................CARING!"

DallasSteve2
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to really good stuff...Dr. Colman......, posted by KnowledgeIsPwr on Dec 26, 2002

Disclaimer: Don't try this at home!  Mr. K.I.P. is a trained gift showerer.  You bank account can be seriously hurt if you invert your wallet in the presence of certain women.

I've been on vacation so I couldn't comment on this sooner.  I direct this message to newbies looking for a foreign bride, not to Mr. K.I.P., as he is sure that what he is doing will work for him, and maybe it will.  For the rest of you I would strongly advise against sending gifts before you meet the lady.  Furthermore, showering a woman with gifts may send the wrong message, and for those of us with limited resources, may create expectations that cannot be maintained.

You can group the women looking to meet US citizens into 2 categories:  Sincere and Scammer.  If you send many gifts to a scammer, she will be very happy.  Eventually you will not.  

If you send many gifts to a sincere woman she may see you as either desperate or arrogant.  Desperate as in the message "I don't want to lose you.  I will do anything to keep you.  Since I'm not worthy of you I will try to win your affection with gifts".  This is not the message you want her to hear.  Arrogant as in the message "I'm a gringo.  I've got lots of money.  You don't.  I can buy whatever I want.  I want you."  This is not the message you want her to hear either.  Many Latinas have this slanted impression of gringos.  Don't play into that stereotype.

I have said this before, but it bears repeating: until you meet the woman in person, you don't have a relationship.  What you have is a dream, or maybe better put, a hope.  Sending gifts at that point makes you look very desperate indeed (repeat: desperate, not generous).  If desperate worked most of us would have already paired up with an AW.

Steve

JunFan
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to really good stuff...Dr. Colman......, posted by KnowledgeIsPwr on Dec 26, 2002

You haven't even been down to Colombia yet and you are showering this girl with all these gifts?

Some gringos insist on using their "drivers" when they should be using their "sand wedges"....

Damn the torpedoes!!

JunFan

http://www.sparhard.com/colombia.htm

JunFan
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Are you kidding?, posted by JunFan on Dec 26, 2002

And your profile says you started searching two months ago?  Get hold of yourself!!!
KnowledgeIsPwr
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Searching Since October 2002???  WHAT???, posted by JunFan on Dec 26, 2002

Hey JunFan,

I checked out what I assume is your site: http://www.sparhard.com/.  Please see additional comment below.  I like the dhtml you're using, although I'd change the look and feel of the site a little bit.  Just my VERY humble opinion!

As well, I read both of your replies, and I would welcome a little dialogue instead of a few quick/short SHOUTS!  

What I think you're trying to suggest to me is that it's a big world, and that I should slow down, to which, for me I'm proceeding with a great deal of caution, yet purpose.

I'm not the Donald Trump, Huge Hefner kind of guy.  Been there, done that, and I'm not looking to have two to four chicas (chicks) under each arm, but for some, this works and I respect that.

My approach may seem a little foreign to the untrained eye, but I'm pretty confident at the end of the day that I'll be standing where I want to be, so thanks again for your feedback.

Additionally, and since it appears that you might have some expertise regarding Colombia, and the women there of.  If you have any Music suggestions, or insight into the country and culture that you'd like to share I would really appreciate it.

*** I really liked the quotes section of your web site, but, I felt you should know.... ***

I'm not a super religious person, nor do/am I attempting to push anything.  I just wanted to let you know that your Gen. Patton quote originates from the Bible, and thus, I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

"As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest mother fu@k3r in the valley!"
~Gen. George Patton

Psalms 23:4 - "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

one of a hundred sources to verify: http://www.justbible.com/Chapters/B19C023.htm

Best Wishes, and Happy Holidays to you and those you love.

KIP

JunFan
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: JunFan, please read!!!...., posted by KnowledgeIsPwr on Dec 27, 2002

Well, sounds like you have everything under control...

I think I'll just kick back, watch & learn while you show us how it's done.

I am by no means an expert at this, not sure if there is such a thing...but experienced?  Yep, I think have a little in this department.

JunFan out.

And thanks for the quote tips...the reason it was sited as Patton's was because he was the one who said it, not the Bible...but I'm not gonna waste time debating that with you.

PS~Lenny Kravitz is a no-brainer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: