Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 24, 2024, 09:15:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not so Christmas cheer  (Read 30814 times)
lswote
« on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

My fiancee and I were at Unicentro Mall in Bogota today shopping for my shoes for our February wedding and we went to the third floor eating area for lunch and she got her purse stolen right out from under our noses.  I don't know exactly how it happened but she leaned forward over the table for a second so we could talk a little more privately and when she leaned back it was gone.  The sad thing is there was hardly anything of value to the thief in her purse, but many things that will take time and money to replace.  I had all the money with me, and while she had ATM cards, she didn't have the PIN numbers in her purse so they will be of no use.  But she lost all her documentation, her social security card, her driver's license, her address/phone book and her makeup which you know how long it takes a woman to collect all those things she likes.  Ironically she normally carries her keys but had accidently left them at her office the day before and she had been carrying our English/Spanish translator all day which is our lifeline for communication, but for whatever reason I had put it in my backpack about 10 minutes before her purse was stolen so we didn't lose that.  She also lost the receipt for the 100,000 pesos deposit we had just put down on the tuxedo we are renting for our wedding, but fortunately we went right back to the store and they made us a duplicate.  She was very concerned that her lost documents might affect our getting married or her coming to the United States on the spousal visa, but we called Nelson at LAI and he said that it shouldn't be a problem, at least in that regard.

It could have been a lot worse, so I am grateful for the fact it wasn't.  There was no physical violence or threat to her person and if they had taken my backpack or wallet I would have been in a world of hurt.  And I know Bogota has certain risks and this could even happen in many cities right in the United States, but it sucks that people can't even enjoy a meal without the predators being out there looking for an opening.

wizard
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Not so Christmas cheer, posted by lswote on Dec 30, 2002

Just got back from Bogota... Similar thing happened to me too... I keep a "C" note hidden in my wallet just for emergencies... I don't like to carry my wallet when out on the town, so I put it in a hidden pocket in my suitcase... Well, I go to retrieve the bill to pay my exit fees and it's gone... Whoever got it had to have searched my bag VERY WELL to find the hidden pocket...

This was at the Bogota Plaza Hotel...

wizard

lswote
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

The thief that took my fiancee's purse called her later the same day they took the purse offering to return her documents to her for money.  I am happy to report that today, for $20,000 pesos (about $7.50) she was able to get back her address book, all her documents and her ATM cards.  She didn't get back the purse, her make-up or other miscellaneous things in the purse, but it saved a lot of trouble that she didn't have to replace the documents and ATM cards.
Michael B
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Update, posted by lswote on Jan 2, 2003

and the pin of the atm cards
Patrick
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I was in Tijuana a few years ago walking down Revoluccion with a friend when a "woman" dressed like a hooker walked up to me saying hi and made a grab for my crotch.  I instinctively cupped my family jewels for protection with both hands and "she" put "her" other hand in my pocket and came away with three $20s.  Fortunately, I saw the bills in "her" fist and was able to grab "her" from behind and hold "her" while my buddy pried the cash from "her" hand.

I use quotes because I have some doubt as to whether this person was a genetic female or not.  Whatever it was, it was damned ugly.

Michael B
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Happens all over the place, posted by Patrick on Dec 31, 2002

I was riding a very crowded a city bus in Mexico City with a friend of mine. Tall guy, German ancestory, beard, 'gringo' written all over him....looked like an easy mark. I was standing next to him and face to face with a pretty decient looking 20 something woman. I was thinking "Maybe I can chat up this lady, get a date or something" So I gave her a big smile. She started to smile back, then her face changed, from smile to panic to PAIN. Just then I heard a loud POP! and she fell to her knees, then half crawled, half ran out the open rear door, holding one hand in the other and crying. John said "Dam* *itch! Had her hand in my money pocket! I think I broke two of her fingers"
Cali vet
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Happens all over the place, posted by Michael B on Dec 31, 2002

Similar story in Sosua, Dominican Republic. Girl started walking alongside my friend and I then tried to shove her hand into his front pocket where he had his wallet. He caught her in plenty of time. She just laughed and moved away. I looked at her closely and realized she'd been too slow because she was drugged up.
Red Clay
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Happens all over the place, posted by Michael B on Dec 31, 2002

Good thing that hot date never happened. Imagine what she might have tried to steal while you were in a "compromising" position, lol.
wizard
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

That's tough no matter where it happens... This kind of crap can happen anywhere and always when you least expect it... It happened to a gf of mine in the French Quarter, not a block from where we lived... She set her purse on the bar in between us and the next thing we know it's gone... Like magic... Miss F always wears her purse around her neck on a strap, always...

Hope you don't have too much problem getting the essentials replaced... I'll probably see ya tomorrow...

wizard

Cali vet
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Sorry to hear it..., posted by wizard on Dec 30, 2002

Last year me and my (very poor) campesina were riding back to Bahia Solano from El Valle in a Jeep. Our bags were in back and we were in the front seats. Mine was locked but some b*stard in back got into her bag and stole her little change purse. He probobly got three thousnd pesos. The poor robbing the poor!
Red Clay
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Sorry to hear it..., posted by wizard on Dec 30, 2002

Sorry about that setback. In Lima, many restaurants have a small chain attached to the chairs that a lady can hook her purse to for that reason. Strange and sad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: