Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 28, 2024, 06:04:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: School  (Read 25963 times)
Dave H
« on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

You can't learn about life in school. You have to live it!

I know first hand. I went to college for many years (while I worked). I have several degrees, licenses, and many certifications. It seems the more I learned in college, the more common sense I lost.

I taught at a junior college. I also taught doctors, nurses, and paramedics at a university medical simulation lab. About as real an experience as you could ever hope for, in the "sterile" environment of a university. Still it was only "make believe." Most professors I know don't have a clue about the "real" world. They have never lived in it.

Dave H.

Jeff S
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to School, posted by Dave H on Jan 23, 2001

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Dave, life teaches you about life, not school, however I also agree with Westerngirl, having a formal education is not just a fun way to piss away some of daddy's money, it does offer some very valuable learning and life experiences for young people. I wouldn't have traded my five years away at engineering school for anything. I worked my way through, though, doing all sorts of jobs from truck driver, security guard, commercial fisherman, construction work etc, etc. That was pre "student loan" days.(actually they had them but they were means tested and if your folks made too much, you were SOL)

Just curious, Westerngirl, what behooved you to post here, and continue to post, bordem? You haven't been like many of the young women who just come on to call us neanderthal MCPs - but have offered polite, thoughtful responses, considering your age and experience.

-- Jeff S.

Westerngrrl
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: School & Western Girl, posted by Jeff S on Jan 23, 2001

I'm working on an independent project,
shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: School & Western Girl, posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 23, 2001

Why do I get the feeling there is another up and coming one sided story to hit the press about fat, ugly, bald, old perverts taking advantage of innocent MOB's? Larry.
Westerngrrl
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to UH-OH!!, posted by shadow on Jan 23, 2001

It's basically a thing on interracial dating.  No biggie  Dunno if I'm going to finish it.  not for school or anything
Jeff S
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Uhhh noooo, posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 23, 2001

My wife is Japanese, from a well-to-do family, and a couple of years older than I. I'm mixed hebrew and southern white bread American.
Jeff S
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: School & Western Girl, posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 23, 2001

Can you fill us in on it?
Westerngrrl
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to School, posted by Dave H on Jan 23, 2001

Oh so it's good to sit around and watch television, only understanding the "dummy" jokes?  You know, going to school and studying history, politics, etc...can help you understand "The Simpsons" a whole lot better than your average person.
Dave H
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: School, posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 23, 2001

Formal education is great. For many occupations it is beneficial or required. Just don't be mistaken into believing that it teaches you more about life than understanding the Simpsons. May I suggest entering the military? Get an education and learn about the real world.

I think that you will be disappointed when you get your degree. Just because you have a degree, you are still no better than anyone else. Who is going to grow the food that you cook for your kids? Your PHD'd professor? If everyone had a degree and refused to work at jobs beneath their level of education, crap would literally pile up. Thank God for the "little" men and women. Your children's nanny might be a poor uneducated woman from Mexico. Your kids will love her like their mother. She will teach them all you believe to be unholy. They will probably be happy.

I know my points are mute. You have already been brainwashed and are now an "academic zombie." Junior, right? Ring the bell...salivate. Push the button or get a shock. Thank God (who I believe in) I awoke from the coma before it was too late.

"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal."
                      Leo Tolstoy

That only took me about a grand to learn. Well worth every penny.

Professor Dave H.

Westerngrrl
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Understanding The Simpsons, posted by Dave H on Jan 23, 2001

Do you know how to compare people's reaction to art work to modern day comparisons to the media?  Can you write a 2000 word paper on the benefits of Hong Kong being a British Colony?   Do you know why some artists paint/create what they did?  Maybe the political goings on at the time influenced them!  

For example, if you want to understand why politics in 20th century China was so corrupted, you must understand China's history and their relatively late adaptation of western style politics compared with Japan (that's why Japan's relatively stable now). If you went to school, and studied you can also argue that the early women's movement in Canada, at least was actually quite conservative.  Women's groups in late the late 19th century, for example were not asking for enfranchisement, but for prohibition.  These groups are much like the anti-violence groups of today. If you have any more questions, feel free to post.

Dave H
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Do you know art history?, posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 23, 2001

Hi Westerngrrl,

I don't pretend to know much about Asian art work or art work in general. I have little interest in it, other than its historical significance. However,I did spend several years studying art work on beer steins in the ratskeller. Often with my brother and our Korean professor, friend, and mentor Dr. C. Shocked) Another friend has a Master's Degree in Asian and Korean art. He lived in Asia for 5 years studying. He now owns a string of small gift shops that sell Beanie Babies. Shocked)

I was a history major (1 degree). Chinese history was one of my major areas of interest. As for 2,000 words...I have always had a hard time keeping papers and posts that short. Check the archives. Shocked))

Dave H.

Pete
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Do you know art history?, posted by Westerngrrl on Jan 23, 2001

So, you can impress your friends at parties by  
blathering on about Dali's motivations for painting the
"Metamorphoses of Narcissus," or by discussing
China's invasion into Tibet. That's all well in good but
how practical is that in real life? If you're traveling, sure,
it's good to have an understanding about how a culture
is affected by its history. But, don't think for a minute that
you can get all you need through college and
books...it's a solid background but you really won't start
taking shape in your career or as a person without
practical experience in the real world.

As far as the Simpsons go...I'd much rather hang with a
girl that  can hang and watch the simpsons as well as
discuss deep topics, than some girl who has to talk
politics and all these lofty topics all the time....can't
stand lofty people out to prove something with their
schooling.

Btw, just to throw a wrench into things...I went to a
community college as well as a trade school for audio
engineering. I found audio wasn't what I wanted to do
for a living and studied graphic/web design on my own.
This led to my current career as a web designer. When
I started out I was working with a bunch of people
(marketing) who graduated from Brown with honors....I
was making more than them so don't think that a
college degree is everything. In today's society, you'll
find experience is just as important. (My experience is
that an employer would be more apt to hire someone
who has the experience over some college grad who's
still wet-behind the-ears...less time training).

humabdos
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Does it really matter?, posted by Pete on Jan 23, 2001

Pete can you recommend a good free web page designer I can use to make a web site for my Philippine trip pics? The AOL free web page I have loads painfully slow if you don't have cable hookup. Thanks P.s my pics are scanned at 72dpi
Pete
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Good post Pete!, posted by humabdos on Jan 23, 2001

Maybe try geocities. All the free ones are going to be
pretty slow, though.
Westerngrrl
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Does it really matter?, posted by Pete on Jan 23, 2001

Depends on who you are, and where you went to school.  I attended a high school where 100% of its graduates go on to some sort of a degree program.  Not getting a degree is something that you just don't do.  For me, the ideal man must be from a good family with a decent income and a decent job.  I actually wouldnj't really consider a rich man who made his fortune at 24 if he was from the trailer park, no matter how good looking he is!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: