Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 28, 2024, 08:45:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Safe Roads to Cartagena/Santa Marta?  (Read 20322 times)
John O
« on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

I'll be spending 2.5 weeks over Xmas in Barranquilla, but I'd like to get to Santa Marta and/or Cartagena, too.

Back in Sept. I hired a taxi for an all-day trip from Bqlla. to Ctga. The road seemed safe enough, as there were a few police checkpoints. But I heard that the road from Bqlla. to Sta. Marta was less secure. Any news on these routes, best forms of transport (bus/taxi/plane), etc? Thanks.

By the way, I hope to spend my time with a TLC lady I've been corresponding & conversing with for about 3.5 months. So far, so good, but these things are always a mystery. Especially the 1st meeting.

Mucha suerte to all, not least to myself!

John O.

JunFanTX
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Safe Roads to Cartagena/Santa Marta?, posted by John O on Dec 16, 2001

John,
I will be there for a week, between Christmas and New Years...in BQ as well as Cartagena...We will be making the drive between BQ and Cartagena and back...Mike
briloop
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Safe Roads to Cartagena/Santa Marta?, posted by John O on Dec 16, 2001

I took a day trip from Cartagena to Santa Marta and back in August 2000.  The route in between the two cities is a toll road.  I remember seeing Colombian soldiers on patrol.  I was in a tour bus with approxmately 40 other passengers.

If you travel the same way as I did, you should be safe.  If in doubt, go by air.

Cali vet
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

John I took the bus a month ago from B/quilla to Parque Tayrona about a half hour past Santa Marta and it was fine. Sometimes there have been problems south of Cienaga which you pass through on the way to SM (but you don't go south) and about a week ago the ELN kidnapped people off an intercity bus at kilometro 48 between Santa Marta and Riohacha. I don't know where on the route that is. I've traveled between B/q and SM three times. It's pretty heavily traveled and I myself wouldn't hesitate however if you want to be 100% sure (not counting falling out of the sky) there must be some small plane air service. By bus round trip is about $8. The view from the bus is interesting as you pass through what remains of the mangrove swamp (cienaga) but you'll also witness the huge destruction to the mangroves the highway construction wrought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: