Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
May 01, 2024, 10:29:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need A Notary In Cali  (Read 5294 times)
DFWGuy
« on: December 18, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

My 16 year old step-daughter went to Cali in November. She decided not to get on the plane when it was time to return (LONG STORY).

Anyway her father and mother have decided she needs to return here. The problem we have is that you need a permission letter for anyone younger than 18 to leave Columbia. Her father completed his document. We didn't need one for her mother before because she was traveling with her mother.

I did some research and downloaded the letter and filled in the blanks from the Columbian Embassy web site. The letter is and must either be in Spanish or translated to Spanish.

The problem is that if it is not notarized in Columbia it has to be notarized here in Dallas, then go to the Secretary of State for Texas, then to the Columbian Embassy for authentication.

We are sending the signed document which includes a finger print, along with copies of her mother's passport and Columbian ID card to my wife's mother in Cali.  

If we can find a Notary in Cali willing to notarize it we can avoid the other route which I am told is expensive and takes 6 weeks or longer. If we have to do this it would effectively stop her from returning to the states for the total future and she has missed so much school that the school said if she is not back on the 8th of January she would not be able to complete this year and complete high school here. She is 16 and they put her in the 9th grade because of her English skills. They told us that it would not be possible for a 17 year old to start out next year in the 9th grade here. If she stay in Cali she will not complete school at all as her father has refused to pay for her to go back to school (ANOTHER LONG STORY).

If anyone knows someone that can help us (obviously for a reasonable notary fee, please email me at gene_webb@msn.com).

Thanks all

DFWGuy
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Need A Notary In Cali, posted by DFWGuy on Dec 18, 2001

Found one thanks all.
Michael B
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Need A Notary In Cali, posted by DFWGuy on Dec 18, 2001

Try the counsolate in Houston, can't he authenticate it just as well as the embasy in DC? Isn't that why they have counsolates? You may not even have to go to Houston. Sometimes (2 or 3 times a year) the counsolate comes to Dallas for a weekend to do official business for Colombians who live here. Telephone a resturant called 'La Casa Vieja' in Carrollton, they should know when his next visit is, because he coordinates his visits through them and uses the storefront (The Hispanic Yellow Pages) right next to them when he comes.
DFWGuy
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Need A Notary In Cali, posted by Michael B on Dec 19, 2001

The problem is one of time. Before it goes to the Columbian embassy it has to go to the Secretary of State of the state you live in. This process alone can take two weeks.  She is returning on the 29th. There is not time to go thru this process and get her the documents.  The only solution for the time we have is to find a notary in Cali.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: