Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
May 21, 2024, 12:20:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Good Deeds"---FARC style  (Read 42306 times)
Michael B
« on: December 20, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Andres died yesterday. He did not get to see his father.
Pete E
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to "Good Deeds"---FARC style, posted by Michael B on Dec 20, 2001

The FARC and ELN need to be snuffed from the earth,just like Osama Bin Laden.I hope they are high on our list after we take out Saddam Housien.

Pete

Raptor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: "Good Deeds"---FARC style, posted by Pete E on Dec 20, 2001

One of the best posts I've seen here.  Kill them all.
beattledog
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: "Good Deeds"---FARC style, posted by Pete E on Dec 20, 2001

I was watching the fox channel 24 hours news channel a few evenings ago and one of the former Secretariies of the State was saying that Colombia may be our next target of terriosm. Beattledog
El Diablo
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: "Good Deeds"---FARC st..., posted by beattledog on Dec 20, 2001

Don't misunderstand this, the terrorism in Colombia is horrible and I wish it would end someday soon.  I know President Bush has talked about going after terrorist groups around the world and I applaud that.  Despite the FARC, ELN and AUC being on the recent short list, for all practical purposes I think it's more likely we would concentrate our efforts on Islamic terrorist groups that are exporting their terror to the United States and elsewhere.  The FARC and ELN, are terrorist groups of a different sort. I think there would be a fire storm of opposition in Congress if we involved ourself in Colombia's internal civil war.

El Diablo

Pete E
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to "Good Deeds"---FARC style, posted by El Diablo on Dec 20, 2001

HD,
Of course the middle eastern terrorist threat is number one priority right now.Just like we should get a little more done in Afganistan before we take on the big threat,Iraq.
And I´m not suggesting that the US get involved with troops in Colombia,but we should give them all the support they need,including air support.
I agree with the guy below who thinks drugs should be legalized.I think our "Plan Colombia"was using the drug issue as a reason to help the Colombians.That was the
Chickens---Clinton approach.Drugs are a problem because they finance the rebels,but the real problem is the rebels.After 30 years they have turned a cause into a business and a criminal way of life.Perhaps we have a little more determination to help wherever we can to get rid of terrorists before they bite us on the A-- again also.Maybe we finally got some cojones in the white house.Maybe after our recent experience we can get a little more honest and agree to help the Colombians because it is what is needed for their country and the Americas.First the Colombians have to face the issue.Are they going to let a small group of people terrorize their country and wreck their economy or are they finally willing to do something about it?I was recently observing what nice people Colombians are(I´m in Cali Now).The 98% who are victims seem unwilling to take on the 2% who are the problem.
Latin America,our closest neighbors,need our support,both economically and militarily,and we need them to have a free democratic government.The downside could be worse than it already is and its pretty bad already.

Pete

Pete E
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: "Good Deeds"---FARC style, posted by Pete E on Dec 21, 2001

nt
Hoda
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to "Good Deeds"---FARC style, posted by El Diablo on Dec 20, 2001

imports should be considered a terrorist threat. With all due respects to those who have lost family & friends to terroristic acts (myself included). How many lives have been lost because of DRUGS exported throughout the world! I'm talking about lives on both sides, here & in Colombia.

We all know, that FARC & the ELN are pissing in their pants, after seeing what happened to the Taliban. When the U.S. REALLY GET'S PISSED OFF!!! If the U.S. was to give the Colombian Army 20% of the effort it gave the Norhtern & Eastern alliances in terms of air & intelligence support, FARC & the ELN would cease to exist....

Hoda....

El Diablo
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to DRUG....., posted by Hoda on Dec 21, 2001

Hey HODA,

Interesting point you make.  I think an argument could be made for some types of imports being considered a terrorist threat but in the case of drugs it might be a hard sell.  I personally look at the whole drug business as primarily a domestic problem here in the States.  Is it the supply of cocaine in Colombia and Peru that creates the demand or is the demand for cocaine in the United States that creates the supply?  I think it's primarily a demand problem and therefore we may in fact be more culpable than the Colombians.  Did you see the movie Traffic?  I thought it was an interesting look into the complex problems of the drug trade.

I was watching one of those news talk shows recently.  I think it was the O'Reilly Factor.  Anyway, William Bennet (former drug czar from mid 80's) was the guest talking on some subject I've forgotten.  At some point though, the discussion moved to the war on drugs.  Bennett made some kind of throw away comment indicating his hands were often tied when he was czar.  He indicated he had more ambitious plans but they were never acted on because other cabinet members believed the political fallout would be too great.  O'Reilly picked up on this statement and began pressing him for some details.  Bennet was reluctant but he did finally offer an example which I found fascinating.  He talked about a plan he had to bomb every cocaine manufacturing facility in Colombia with U.S. fighters.  He claimed that he had the support of the Colombian government and the intelligence to identify where all the facilities were.  He further claimed that the strikes could be accomplished quickly and would eliminate the cartels ability to manufacture for an entire year. He said the intelligence is there today also but as before the political will does not exist to do anything.  

Although this interview was pre Sept 11th, I agree and don't believe there is the political will to enter into any conflict with Colombia.  Any conflict with Colombia is likely to be perceived as entering into the domestic politics of a sovereighn nation.   I agree totally with Cali Vets assesment and as much as I'd like the U.S. to go in and kick butt, I think the Colombians will have to solve this one.

El Diablo

Hoda
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to DRUG....., posted by El Diablo on Dec 21, 2001

have U.S. personel on the ground (Remember, my trip to Tumaco?). Let's release the hounds "Daisey Cutters, F-series jets & C130 Gunships)...end of story, KISS THE BABY FARC, ELN & AUC!!!

Hoda....

El Diablo
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to We already...., posted by Hoda on Dec 21, 2001

Hey Hoda,

This is just my opinion but we have troops all over the world and in many countries but that doesn't necessarily mean that we'd directly enter into one of their internal conflicts.  We might provide training and some weapons but I personally would be really surprised to see United States soldiers at war with the FARC and ELN.  You and I have friends and loved ones in Colombia, for us it's not a civil war but a trajedy of greed and terrible injustices.  But is this the view of your ordinary American, probably not. The typical American views Colombia as a drug country ONLY and has little sympathy for their plight.  

The Republican party which is in control of foreign policy for the most part, has two primary camps when it comes to waging war.  One camp has always been somewhat isolationist but made an exception for communism. They were willing to take on the Soviet threat wherever they perceived it to be around the world.  With the Soviet collapse this group is rather isolationist today.

The other group, the Country Club Republicans if you will,  are less isolationist and see an active involvement were U.S. interests are perceived to be.  The best example of this is the Middle East.  Our interests here are Isreal and oil.  The unfortunate thing about Colombia is that is not perceived as a vital U.S. interest and because of this there's really not much support to involve ourself in their internal affairs.

Maybe things will be different after September 11.  I hope so!!

El Diablo

WarPig
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to We already...., posted by Hoda on Dec 21, 2001

incredible thought process you have.  lets murder Colombian peasants so drug gangs in the US don't kill each other.  

lets destroy the Colombian forest and agricultural land so there is less cocaine available for our greedy little noses.  and we ruin the Colombian economy while we are at it.  By the way, less cocaine=higher demand=more violence.

lets not even mention the practical political ramifications of bombing civilians in a Hispanic country which is the largest minority in the US and where each party is desparately courting the Hispanic vote.

how about this idea.  legalize cocaine.  drive down the price. undercut the criminal business end of it.  remove the criminality, remove the violence.

Hoda
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Kill, Kill, Kill    violence the solutio..., posted by WarPig on Dec 21, 2001

I'll have to check, but I don't believe that Colombians are the largest latin minority in the U.S. Colombia has so many other natural resources, that haven't been tapped in regards to it's economic power. Here's a little fact, that I wasn't aware of til some time ago. Colombia provides anywhere between 27 & 41 percent of the fresh cut flowers, that are sold in the U.S. We've only scratched the surface of the jungles, which are rich in medicimal treatments. So destroying the jungles would be counter-productive to the human race (I wish, those fools in Brazil, would realize this).I know, you see what I'm trying to say.

Peace....Hoda

p.s. the "Warpig" handle is definitly not appropriate to your point of view.

WarPig
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Another thing..., posted by Hoda on Dec 21, 2001

I am not sure I understand what the "largest latin minority" means.  I would think  that the largest nationalities of latin people in the US are of Mexican, Puertorican, and Cuban descent.

I was aware of the flower business in Colombia.  I have an American friend who grew up there and his parents "farm" flowers if that is the correct term.  

yes, the handle Warpig seems more suitable for your point of view in the previous posts as well as other people who posted in this thread.  it is sarcasm.

Hoda
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Another thing..., posted by WarPig on Dec 21, 2001

I mis-read your post. I thought you were saying, that Colombians were the largest latin minority.

Mal, is that you....LOL!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: