Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 01:23:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divorce Rate for Colombian/Gringo Marriages?  (Read 13195 times)
Just Curious
« on: November 01, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Since I'm getting more serious about marrying a Latin girl, I had to ask if anyone knows about the success rate for Americans marrying Colombians or other women in Latin countries, in this case Colombia.

You hear both horror and success stories, so what's the truth.  I think it's something worth exploring since every American probably has wondered about this at some point.

Thanks,

Tim

michsteve09
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Divorce Rate for Colombian/Gringo Marria..., posted by Just Curious on Nov 1, 2001

Here is an address for world divorce rates

http://www.divorcemag.com/statistics/statsWorld.shtml

One of the reasons why I chose to look in Brazil was their low divorce rates. I know everything changes when she comes to America but I think most South Americans have more family values because of their culture. Brazil also has more women in the major cities than men so that is probably why they are looking outside their country for love. Sao Paulo supposedly has 100,000 more women than men? No wonder men treat them as sex toys they have the advantage. I also saw another report I can't remember where, but Brazilian wives have the highest rate of Aids in Brazil. It was higher than single women and prostitutes. The husbands who cheat are transferring the diseases to their wives. Machoism is very strong in Brazil you would be ridiculed by other men if you don't have a mistress. I haven't been there yet so this is just what I researched so if it's true or not I don't know but maybe someone else on this board may have more info. Good luck to everyone in their search.

H2-Oh
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Divorce Rate for Colombian/Gringo Marria..., posted by Just Curious on Nov 1, 2001

Your question is a good one. The truth is,Marriage is what you make it. I mean that if you really understand who you are marrying and the culture she is from you will have a better chance of success with the marriage.
Many guys go south to find their dream and don't look at the responsibilties that go along with the opportunity of having her as your wife. Yes, she is a gift and should be given all the love you can give. This is your job. She ,on the other hand must be honest and forthright as to why she is marrying you and wanting to leave her family and friends to come here.
 I know of couples that are here and married that are neither honest nor honor the vows they took. These marriages may last but will not be happy and will go on through the years with little or no real love. I know gringos that have married Colombians because they want "trophy wives" and the ladies  are looked on as a possesion. I know Colombian women that are here to better their lives with little regard for the man they married.
 So as I said, Marriage is what you make it. Keep your eyes open, take your time, and first find an honest and sincere lady. The rest is up to you.

H2-Oh

briloop
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Go to this URL:

http://www.planet-love.com/doj/doj5/

The INS report says that MOB marriages have a 80% success rate compared to 50% overall in the U.S.

The full report starts at this URL:

http://www.planet-love.com/doj/

Patrick
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Read this INS report, posted by briloop on Nov 2, 2001

Yes, but I believe the data is as reported by agencies if I remember the report correctly.  I would expect them to be at least as biased as the anti-mob crowd in gathering and reporting statistics.

I really don't believe there is any credible statistics to be found on this topic.

Hamlet
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Patrick,

About a year ago when I first began viewing Planet Love, I filled out a survey here by a PhD candidate or professor doing research in this very area.  I emailed him asking if I could read his dissertation when completed but he did not respond.

Could you track this guy down and get him to share his findings?

Hamlet

Patrick
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Patrick, what about that university stud..., posted by Hamlet on Nov 1, 2001

It was so full of pranksters with so few real responses that it was pretty much worthless.
Aaron
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to I never gave him the data, posted by Patrick on Nov 2, 2001

Patrick,

If you are interested in collecting data about the success rate of MOB marriages, then maybe I can help you.

I'm working on a M.S. and Ph.D. in psychology, and a concurrent master's degree in statistics. I could provide some help for you with drafting an online survey, data analysis, and interpretation to follow.

However, it wont be for free. There will be a small fee. Given the quality of the information collected, we can use the results to write a book about the MOB industry, supporting our experiences with hardcore data. This would be some good ammo against those that consider the MOB industry is a form of women trafficking and prostitution.

Contact me if you're interested.  

Aaron

Sol
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: I never gave him the data, posted by Aaron on Nov 2, 2001

Aaron and others,

I think that what would be much more meaningful and helpful than statistics on how many MOB marriages succeed is what are the qualities of the men and the women in the relationships that succeed. While it's mildly interesting to know, for instance, that lots and lots of Americans are fat, unhealthy and miserable I'm much more interested in knowing what the healthy and happy ones do to stay that way. Likewise I'd find it much more helpful to read a book that gave me insights on what I might do to improve my chances of having one of those successful ones.

It might be the case that men who succeed with Latin brides do so because they have a healthy self-esteem and a knowing that they deserve a spouse that will love them. These men might do just as well with good American brides but they're just not interested in AW. If that's the case then of what use are the statistics? Maybe some of the men who fail with Latin brides are immature and would fail with American women also? Maybe Latin women in a foreign country won't give up so easily even if they're not happy in a marriage because the shame of giving up and going home is too great?

I think there's way too much room to read what you want into the MOB statistics to have any value for me. For what any of us would be interested in I don't think planet-love could provide it; it's too new a list to provide any significant number of data points on successful (or failed) marriages. I'd like to see insights gathered from American/Latin couples who have been together for 5 years or longer who are still very much in love. How many of you guys out there are in such a relationship?

Sol

Aaron
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Successful MOB Marriages, posted by Sol on Nov 4, 2001

Sol,

Good points. Let me share the communication I had with Hamlet about his idea for researching this topic. You can chime in if you want. I'm sure he would appreciate your comments.

"Yes, I did ask you to write to me about the idea of collecting data for MOB
marriages.  I have been taking notes of my experience in the search for a
MOB, which has been and is extensive.  I would like to publish a book about
my experiences in an effort to inform the (mostly male) public.  But all my
experiences, extensive though they may be, are still anecdotal.  What I
really need to make a truly helpful publication is statistical data on
marriage and divorce rates, occupations of the men, educational levels of
the women, age disparities, etc, etc." (Hamlet).

"If I were you I would start off by conducting interviews of the women within agencies. These interviews should consist of a short survey, and a question/answer session of about 30 minutes. Try to collect data on their perceptions of the MOB experience.
Make sure that you will provide something in return for their participation.

Also, collect information from reputable owners/managers within the MOB business, particularily agencies managed and owned by the citizens within the foreign country. For example, Luz Amparo of Latinbest.

As for an online survey to capture the opinions of men, forget about that idea. It's not worth the hassel because many will view it as an invasion of privacy, or as a joke. Also, many women from the third world do not place as much importance on the internet/email, and even regular postal mail for that matter.  

To capture information from the men, you will need to do just about the same thing. Conduct interviews with the guys who are present at particular agencies, for about one hour each. Also, give them a short survey to fill out. If all goes well, and if there are guys that are really interested, see if they will agree to longitudinal follow-ups of their progress for finding a wife for about a couple of years. The follow-ups would be anecdotal to capture their experiences. Another key point, the identity of ALL participants should be confidential. I would shoot for 50 to 100 women, and 50 to 100 men.

If the information is any good, it should lead to publishable results. However, this kind of study will be costly and time consuming. There will probably be allot of travel involved. Plus, you will need to provide some type of compensation for ALL participates. Then, once the data is collected, you will need to conduct analyses (i.e., transcribing interviews and entering the survey data into a spreadsheet for statistical analysis). Data collection and analysis can take as long as you want it to take. It depends on the type of information you want to collect. Probably within two to three years, you'll have more data than you'll need.
Then, after you have your results, you will need to interpret them, and include them within the book.

Another approach that you may take is to conduct some research on the data collected by the government, but I don't know where you would find that information." (Aaron)

Hamlet
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: I never gave him the data, posted by Aaron on Nov 2, 2001

Aaron,

I would like to talk to you.  Please contact me at rmjoe@compuserve.com.  Thanks.

Hamlet

Patrick
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

I found world divorce statistics a while back that are useful in determining how various cultures compare on divorce rates within their own countries, but haven't integrated it into the rest of the web site yet.  While it's not going to indicate the success rate for marriages between Americans and foreign women, it will at least give you an idea about how women in various countries may view divorce.  Unfortunately, it doesn't include Colombia.
pack
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

i dont have any statistics but just going by the people i have met  i'd say its about 50/50. i know several people who have married a latina and are very happy , yet i also know many who are unhappy and even devorcing.
Patrick
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Divorce Rate for Colombian/Gringo Ma..., posted by pack on Nov 1, 2001

Pack,

Any information on the age comparisons in these marriages?  All (both) of the ones I've seen fail were between men in their 40s and women in their early 20s.  It would be interesting to see if there's any correlation in success rate vs. age differences.  I don't think a 20 year age difference between a 55 year-old man and a 35 year-old woman are as significant as they are between a 42 year-old man and a 22 year-old woman.

I think this is an extremely difficult thing to really get a handle on.  You'd need RELIABLE information on quite a few marriages for it to really be significant.

pack
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Any info on ages?Huh, posted by Patrick on Nov 1, 2001

it would really be interesting if someone had or could get hold of some statistics in this area,people are always asking this question, i'd like to know the answer myself. going back to the couples that i have known (gringo/latina) you are correct about the ages. it does seem that a 55 year old gringo and a 35 year old latina have a much better success rate that say a 40+ gringo and a 21 year old latina. this is not always true but it does seem to be a high percentageat least among my friends in this situation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: