Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 05:09:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Philippine dual citizenship  (Read 26450 times)
Jimbo
« on: August 16, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hello All,

We've started the process.  The application can be made at any Philippine Consulate in the US and they process it through the Immigration Commission in Manila.  But the hitch is, Manila requires proof of being a natural-born Filipino and that record must be a certification from the NSO (National Statistics Office) in Quezon City.  Municipal or city birth certificates are not accepted.  So if the NSO has no record of the birth, or there are discrepancies, it's trouble.

The NSO has a website and you can apply for the certification online, $20 per copy.  We've done that but because Sally's original birth certificate had errors I don't know if we will get the certification.  We found those errors during the K-1 process and had them corrected in Butuan City.  It took an official affidavit with two witnesses (from the time of Sally's birth) to fix it.  The NSO probably hasn't got those corrections and I think we will need to get Butuan City to forward the corrected documents to the NSO.  This is shaping up to be a nightmare.

Filipinas magazine has a good article on the process in the August issue.  Once you've got the NSO certification, they say you can mail it to the Consulate along with the application and then make the trip to get sworn in soon after that.

Jimbo

Ray
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Philippine dual citizenship, posted by Jimbo on Aug 16, 2005

Hi Jimbo,

From my experience, MOST Filipino birth certificates have errors, so they expect those things. Migs’ BC had the wrong sex and her name spelled wrong, which isn’t that uncommon I found out. She also had a notarized joint affidavit registered with the Local Civil Registrar, which I think was also registered with NSO but I’m not positive.

The accepted secondary evidence of birth is the baptism certificate if she has one. They usually prefer a recently certified copy from the church where she was baptized. With the joint affidavit, her baptismal certificate, and her Filipino passport, they will usually accept the NSO birth certificate with errors, as long as all of the other docs are consistent. Remember, the Philippine government already accepted her birth certificate as evidence of her citizenship when they issued her a Philippine passport. If they require her to have her birth record legally corrected, then it requires a court order in most cases and can be a hassle.

Why is she going for the dual citizenship? I have asked dozens of Filipino-Americans if they will apply for dual citizenship and every one of them said no. They seem to think it’s a plot to get them to pay Philippine income taxes. I guess if she wanted to move back to the Phils permanently or run for political office back there, then it would make sense.

Migs takes the oath tomorrow.

Ray

Jimbo
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Philippine dual citizenship, posted by Ray on Aug 17, 2005

Hi Ray,

Sally's BC had wrong sex and name spelled wrong also.  The affidavit might have been registered with the NSO but I'm not counting on it.  We will find out when we receive it 4 weeks from now (I hope).

I'll check on her certificate of Baptism from the church - thanks.  We have 3 notarized affidavits, not copies, with signatures, from the time that we did the K-1.  She's got her old passport.  So maybe this won't be so bad.

Why do it?  To keep the options open.  If my high-tech job goes away I won't look for another one, I'll go into the dive industry and the Philippines is a great place for that.  Sally will be able to buy property and I'll be able to apply for a permanent resident visa.

Good for Migs!  Take your camera.  I forgot mine, used one of those disposables and none of the pictures came out.  Too bad because Sally was sitting/standing in Faneuil Hall between "two smelly European men" and making some funny faces :-)

Jim

Ray
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Philippine dual citizenship, posted by Jimbo on Aug 17, 2005

"two smelly European men"? ROFLMAO! Probably stinking Frenchmen…

Hey, it’s too bad the pics didn’t come out. I’ll bet Stephen is very disappointed :-)

A former Filipino citizen can still purchase and own property in the Phils, but there are some limits to how much property. I know you can stay for up to a year as  balikbayans with no visa if you are traveling together, but I’m not sure about the permanent resident visa requirements. As long as you are still in good health and don’t need any serious medical care, I think it would be a great place to retire to. Let us know how the dual-citizen procedure works out.

Ray

Keith NC
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Philippine dual citizenship, posted by Ray on Aug 18, 2005

Speaking of being from France.  There was a Frenchman living with his Filipina wife close to my Fiancee's home.  The odor on this guy was awful.  I don't know how his wife could stand it.

I felt sorry for him though because I think he had Parkinsons disease.  He was shaking so bad he couldn't hold anything in his hands.  His wife had to pick up his cell phone about six times while he was standing there talking to Anecita and I.  I should say trying to talk to us.  I didn't understand most of what he said.

stefang
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Philippine dual citizenship, posted by Jimbo on Aug 17, 2005

Are you sure you guys didn't marry men that had sex changes? Sorry couldn't help the opportunity:)~

That's pretty bad when they can't even get the sex right on the birth certificate.

Ray
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Philippine dual citizenship, posted by stefang on Aug 17, 2005

LOL! I think the reason why there are so many errors on those birth certificates is partly due to the fact that they are recorded in English and many of the parents and midwives are weak in reading and writing English. Lots of Filipino babies were and still are born at home because hospitals can be expensive.

Ray

Jimbo
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Philippine dual citizenship, posted by stefang on Aug 17, 2005

[This message has been edited by Jimbo]

..maybe tonight I'll have to ---- - ------ ----
stefang
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to hmm... Ok then,, posted by Jimbo on Aug 17, 2005

Yes you better check. Get yourself an anatomical chart for a woman and inspect her all night and all week until you are satisfied hehehe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: