Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 28, 2024, 06:55:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any problems with one way airline tickets?  (Read 6236 times)
Surigao Ken
« on: September 14, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hey all!

We'll we are finally settled here in Idaho so now Uncle Sam says it's time for me to race off to Afghanistan and defend democracy. I'm sending the family to the Philippines for a nice long ( one year) visit. My question is, do you think my wife and two kids will be hassled because they have one way tickets? I have the letter of permission typed up and all the documentation she will need, but if any one has some suggestions please feel free to comment.
Well, Idaho sure is a nice place, just we haven't had much time to see many sights and now this deployment ( after about 15 weeks train up time at Fort Hood and various other places). I still have this web link on my favorites and I'll be visiting back time to time.

Take care,

Surigao Ken

Dave H
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Any problems with one way airline ticket..., posted by Surigao Ken on Sep 14, 2005

Hi Ken,

My wife, daughter, and I have been in the Philippines for a month. Our daughter is not registered as a Philippine citizen (dual) yet, so she and I had to get round trip tickets. We bought tickets with a return date of 4 months. My daughter and I availed the Balikbayan privilege so we can stay for up to one year. Our passports are stamped with an expiration date one year from our arrival. As Ray said, "the kids can stay up to a year without any visa as Balikbayans." Also very important "but make sure immigration annotates their passports on arrival in the Philippines." We told the Philippine immigration officer upon arrival that our daughter and I wanted to take advantage as Balikbayans. He was hesitant at first and acted like he would be doing us a very special favor (hint...hint...bribe!) When he realized we knew the law and were not falling for it, he processed our request, but with a bad attitude!

The environment can be a bit rough for kids, as we have found out the hard way.  According to our Filipina pediatrician, small children (under the age of 7) born in the US are especially susceptible to illnesses and the unsanitary conditions that commonly exist here. Although, I have seen plenty of sick local kids too: viral infections, amoebiasis, bad intestinal bacteria, typhoid, etc. Despite various precautions our daughter just spent 3 days in the hospital with IV fluids and antibiotics for amoebiasis. Our nephew was just admitted today with the same thing. The smoke and vehicle pollution can trigger respiratory problems. Our daughter spent a week in the hospital last year with very bad asthma.

Take care and Good Luck in Afghanistan!

Dave H.

Surigao Ken
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Any problems with one way airline ticket..., posted by Surigao Ken on Sep 14, 2005

[This message has been edited by Surigao Ken]

Hey All,

I'm scrambling between getting settled here in Idaho and planning a year long "vacation at the same time. Nancy has her " removable of conditions", plus I'm making copies of every document I can think of for her traveling portfolio.
I'm no longer active duty, I took a D.O.D. job providing  logistical support for the Idaho Army National Guard's 1/183rd AVN BN. ( AH-64's). So if my sorry a** has to pick up a weapon we are losing the war!!
 I will keep up with the board as time and internet connection permits. Thanks all.

Take care,
Surigao Ken

Rota20
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hey Ken are you active duty?  If so which branch?
Jimbo
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi Ken,

Good luck, and watch out for those damned helicopter ambushes!

Jimbo

Ray
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi Ken,

I don’t think they’ll have any problems unless she pays cash and wears a burka to the airport. The Philippine government requires a round-trip or forward continuing ticket for visitors, but Filipino citizens can use a one-way and I don’t think the kids will have any problem. The kids can stay up to a year without any visa as Balikbayans but make sure immigration annotates their passports on arrival in the Philippines.

Also, make sure she doesn’t stay out of the country over a year without a re-entry permit. If the wife is planning to apply for naturalization, continuous residence is normally broken when she stays out over 6 months, but I think there are some exceptions for spouses of active military members. Did she already do the Removal of Conditions?

Keep your head down over there!

Ray

Beattledog
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Thank you for your service to our country

Beattledog

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: