Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 06:37:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny message  (Read 5491 times)
jon
« on: September 18, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

A funny message to me from a pinay:

Hi there... i read ur profile and noted that u are a computer software engineer... i dont know if what will i ask has a sense or something to do with ur work... i am about to open up an internet cafe` here in the philippines, to sum up with i have 25 pcs, will be needing microsoft home xp edition, the problem? here in order that u will have a licensed microsoft is that u have to pay $100usd for EACH unit .... goshhhh... im not a big time biz woman, but i need to find a way to make it licensed cuz if not the anti piracy police will get all my units... huh! well i saw ur tempting offer that if anything i wanna ask ill just hit this message box:-)

Her profile states she has foundher man too...lol

Ray
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Funny message, posted by jon on Sep 18, 2005

LOL! Well, at least they are getting a little more original with the scams. Are you going to help her out and send her the $2,500? :-)

She probably heard on the news recently that the government is cracking down on unlicensed software (read below) and it gave her an idea for another new scam. But she should have asked for $125 (P7,000) per unit. Maybe the “Please help! My sister needs an operation” scam is getting old?

-----
SunStar Bacolod
Monday, September 19, 2005

Internet café owners ask moratorium from Microsoft
By Erwin Ambo S. Delilan

SOME Internet café owners in Bacolod City are asking for a moratorium from Microsoft Philippines, Inc. (MPI) on the use of "unlicensed" Microsoft Operating System (OS).

A source from the NBI-Manila said after the conduct of the series of raids in Bacolod and some parts of Negros Occidental, several Internet cafés and even educational institutions opted to close shop in fear that they might be totally closed or penalized with big amount.

Some 200 internet cafes in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan City have also allegedly temporarily closed down their shops for fear of being raided.

Internet café owners in the area have had asked assistance from the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) to also seek for moratorium from MPI.

They are asking DTI to appeal to MPI to give them a moratorium of three years to purchase the licensed software.

But DTI said they are not sure yet whether MPI would be amenable to this request.

Like in Bacolod, Internet cafés in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan are now using the free Linux software rather than be caught using unlicensed MOS.

For two weeks now, operatives from NBI-Manila and MPI representatives are conducting "surprise" raids all throughout the country.

About 13 Internet cafés in the downtown area in Bacolod have been padlock due to illegal use of MOS.

Some schools in the city also temporarily closed their computer laboratories for the same problem.

An official of the University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos (UNO-R), on the other hand, clarified that they are now licensed Microsoft subscriber so they were not included among the institutions that were recommended to be closed for a while.

NBI-Bacolod Special Agent Arnel Sigue said Internet cafés or school administrators can have their appeal for certain "grace period" from MPI until they could secure the licensed MOS.

The appeal, said Sigue, must be addressed directly to MPI and not to the NBI.

Sigue said NBI will only act if there is a complaint forwarded to their office.

However, if there is an appeal, probably MPI would think otherwise and will suspend temporarily the conduct of surprise raids, he said.

In Bacolod, only two computer shops are reportedly licensed distributor of MOS - Data Link and BCG Computers.

But from the original P5,000, the cost per Microsoft program now surged to P7,000, the source said.

Cesilio Salaud, former internet cafe owner in Cagayan de Oro said, they were able to purchase a licensed Microsoft software for P30,000 per package.
A package, he said, is good for one or two computer units.

Thus, he said, it would be very difficult to comply with the license for one or two computers.

Added Salaud, for this reason Internet cafe' owners cannot be blamed for not getting the licensed software because it is very expensive and the one or two computer policy for one license is not feasible for the business to prosper.

Salaud said Linux could be used instead of Microsoft but it is "not very user friendly as compared to using Microsoft software."

NBI Special Investigator Edgardo Kawada said that those who were caught using MOS illegally will be charged of violation of Intellectual Property Rights Law.

The punishment, stressed Kawada, aside from imprisonment, the violator may be charged of P150,000 cash fine for every computer unit that was programmed in MOS.
-----

senior citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Funny message, posted by Ray on Sep 19, 2005

Adctually, all they are supposed to do is email, IM and surf the web at these internet cafes, true?

Just buy one copy of SuSE (about $40-$80 US) and put it on every computer. The Linux Gnome web browser, email client and IM program are just as easy to use as Windows. If the rest of it is hard to use, maybe they won't try to insert viruses and such through those portals.

Ray
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Funny message, posted by senior citizen on Sep 20, 2005

From my experience, those Internet cafés are used for a lot more than Web surfing and e-mail. Sometimes you can’t get on a computer because everyone is playing off-line computer games.

Also, remember that very few households over there have a computer, so if you need to research or type up a term paper or such, it’s either the college computer lab or the local Internet café.

Anyway, I think it’s good that the Philippine government is enforcing some of the copyright laws.

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: