Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 10:12:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend Update ...............  (Read 7438 times)
Windmill Boy
« on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Flash !!!  this just into our news desk ....  Windmill Boy reaffirms that he is still alive and kicking ..... News story at ll:00 pm !!!!!

Aww  what the heck, if you can't have any fun why bother participating in life at all Ha Ha Ha ?

Well as I am closing in on 3 months of being married I find that I finally have the chance to participate here, I read regularly but I've  been so busy  that I haven't had the energy / motivation / or time to write until now.  

Things are slowly progressing for us. Kathryn and I got married June 25 th. It  was  a nightmare to throw together the weddding in about 2 months time  and most of the work  fell on my  shoulders but  we  pulled it off and it was a nice  ceremony.   Then I had the honor to write all the thank you cards since  she did not know most of the people.  I did this in a relatively timely fashion  but it kept me busy  throughout July and into August.

Kathryn got fingerprinted and photographed on July 5 th, and we had our AOS "Green Card" interview on july 28 th.   She was  so nervous preparing everything and ensuring that every T was crossed and I  was dotted. We came armed to the hilt with evidence but the interview took only 10 - 15 minutes. They verified that the information she wrote on a form was correct, they kept one of my paystubs, maybe photocopied her passport, her social security card, and possibly our marriage license and that  was  about it. I do not even think they asked any questions about our  relationship and here we  brought pictures, e-mails, love letters, phone bills, etc. -- all of that junk for nothing.  The  immigraton officer  told us that we  were part of a new trial program starting after May 1st in the Buffalo field office to speed things up.  We aint complaining - she arrived here april 11 th  and she was awarded her Green Card on july 28 th.   We  fill out a form in 2 years and send it in to remove the conditions and after 3 years she can apply for citizenship.

We wrote a letter  back to the office in Chicago that collected our filling fees for the Advanced Parol and EAD work permit to see if we can recoup the fees that we paid for these.  The Green card effectively made these  unneccesary  but since we never even heard a word from the government about these applications other  than that they received the checks we are hoping that we get refunded the money --  but I kind of think we have a snowball's chance in Hell  to see these fees  returned  even though they never took any action on these forms.  Kathryn said that  when she worked at the Austailian Consulate in her city in China  they  would  refund the filing fees for situations like ours if it was requested so that is why she  wanted to try to get a refund for our  filing fees.

The next day after  receiving the stamp in her passport for recieving her green card  we  did the proper thing of going to the social security office to apply for a new card  that did not have the words NOT ABLE TO WORK  printed on it.  Well they confiscated the old card as soon as they entered the request for the new card.  This really screwed us up  because we  wanted to apply for Kathryn's written test for driving  but  we had to wait for 4 weeks before she received another new correct card  so she could physically show it at the DMV.  Kat finally took the test and Aced It.   Now  she is going tomorrow for her second lesson at  the  driving school ($ 79  for 1 1/2 hours) and I am practicing with her 3 -4 mornings a week.  She is doing pretty well so far so there is hope.  The pressure is on her  however  as  we are hoping that  she  can take the road test  by the  end of October.  This way she can drive on her own a little before the Snow starts to fly.

Speaking  of  Snow   that  was  another  expense  that  I  recently had to incur -- winterizing my  woman.  She  has never even seen snow yet.  But New York had a Tax free week on clothes around labor day  so I had to buy her Levis jeans, Courderoys, Fleece Jackets, a light winter fleece jacket / parka, sweaters, sweatshirts, Gloves, boots, sneakers, and she bought a goofy looking Dr Zhivago looking hat  that looks like some one killed a woodchuck on top of her head  but it will keep her warm though.   She is knitting herself a scarf  and someone we know is making a knitted hat for her also.  I still have to buy her the feel no pain Jacket  that  she will wear  when it gets bittely cold in January / February.

Once Kathryn gets her license and is able to drive  than the last piece of the puzzle  is to get her into the work force. She is itching  to get a job. But until she can drive she is stuck.  She has started to circulate some resumes and is begining to interact with head hunting agencies but we are uncertain how her education and experience from China will transfer over to here.  She is begining to worry  that  she wont be able to get a Job  but I have to continue to reassure her that she can and she will. I remember when I was unemployed how much your self worth goes down.  It has been hard for her to leave a good job in China to being house bound in the burbs and having to start over again.

Here is a funny ancedote ...  tonight when I came home from work she had cut our  some ads from the newspaper  for job prospects  that  she  wanted me to review.  Being that she is an accountant and that they  have all kinds of creative titles in that field -- Tonight I had to tell her  " Honey, a corrections officer  does not mean that you are  reviewing someone elses work looking for mistakes like an Auditor   --- It means  that you are a police officer in the prison".   Ha ha ha That is why I married someone from a different culture  It  is never  a dull ride.   It is not a stove  or an oven   It is a Stoven.  It is not  Cross Stitch  it is Cross Snitch.

It  has  been a bumpy ride  so far,  She has gotten used to Rochester somewhat.  She says it is a village here, but appreciates that it is quiet and safe in the suburbs.  She misses her family but does not miss Guangzhou so much.  Tonight we went for a Full Moonlight walk in the new development close to us and she was telling me which houses would have good Feng Shue for us according to our signs  and which houses were innappropriate. She is already focusing and dreaming on buying a house within the next 2 years  then she says she will be more content living in Rochester when we truely have a place to call our own.  

It seems that I am non stop on the go between being the Chauffer for both of us, being a problem solver as they arrise, and working alot to try to earn some Dinero.  I  find that I have had very little down time just for myself to accomplish the things that  what I would like to.  But I guess those Bachelor Days are over. However all things considered  so far I think I've made a good choice so far and I would not trade her in for a differnt model.

Windy

Dave H
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Weekend  Update ..............., posted by Windmill Boy on Sep 19, 2005

Hi WB,

It sounds like married life is good...and...well very "interesting"! ROFLMAOCUML!

Good to hear from you!!!

Dave H.

Bear
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Weekend  Update ..............., posted by Windmill Boy on Sep 19, 2005

...of course, you could always come south and save money on that winter stuff (just to spend it on the A/C).  Marissa is still mad because last years once-every-in-ten year snow here in our area actually went all around us and missed us almost completely.  People 50 miles south got a foot and we just got a few flurries.

Glad too see things going well.

The Bear Family

Ray
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Thanks for the update Windy.

It’s good to hear that things are working out for the two of you. That has to be one of the fastest AOS processes in recent years. It’s a shame that the CIS is so damn slow. If the State can make a driver’s license in 2 weeks and the State Dept can make you a passport in 4-6 weeks, what’s the big problem? And why do they charge you an arm and a leg? Anyway, good luck on getting a refund for the unused docs (LOL). My wife applied for the Removal of Conditions 2-1/2 years ago and still no Green Card in sight. But since she is a U.S. citizen now, it doesn’t matter any more. Do you think we could get a refund for the Green Card that they never made? ROFLMAO!

It is sometimes difficult to get that first job if all of your education and experience is in a foreign land. One option is for her to take an entry-level job at minimum wage for 6 months or so mainly to get a good local work reference. If she is a hard-working reliable employee, most bosses will be glad to provide a letter of recommendation, which can open a lot of doors. Working with the public is one of the best ways to overcome any language difficulties and become proficient in English, even if it’s a little tough at first.

Learning to drive isn’t too tough if she isn’t in a hurry. Let her do it at her own pace without deadlines. It’s great that you have the patience to take her out on the road. I found that early Sunday mornings are great for driving practice because there aren’t many cars on the road. Just try not to do the practice driving when there are kids out walking to or from school. If you are near the Motor Vehicle office where she will take the road test, try to do a lot of practice within a mile of the office so she will be familiar with the neighborhood and the roads.

Keep us posted,

Ray

senior citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Weekend  Update ..............., posted by Ray on Sep 19, 2005

One suggestion: Don't let her drive a motorcycle. I had a Honda Gold Wing and Honey wanted to learn to drive it. Teaching her to drive a car wasn't too bad at all. I gave up after five tries on the bike. A GW or a Harley is NOT a Vespa scooter. Get her a Vespa and have her make due with that.

I have never been so frightened outside of a combat zone as I was sitting behind her on the bike. You've all heard of the "pucker factor"? Well, I had to have the rear seat surgically removed after her final attempt. Honey is a wonderful woman and a tremendous wife and mother, but I will never allow her to drive a motorcycle again as long as we're married.

senior citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

If you want to pony up the money for a winter parka that will last her at least 10 years, and be very warm as well in upstate NY conditions in January, get the LL Bean catalog. Not cheap but very, very cozy. I was raised in a cold climate state and my LL Bean Maine Warden's parka is STILL in good shape, and I can still wear it (Granma bought it a size too large, but it still worked when I was 18). I had to send it back to them once to fix the main zipper and some of the snaps (old days before velcro was common). They repaired it at no cost and sent it back to me. I have had a pair of insulated Bean Boots for 10 years, and before that I had a pair of Maine Hunting Boots for ten years. If your wife is one of the average who have cold feet in the summertime, I can personally recommend Bean's Wicked Good slippers, clogs and moccasins. They are shearling and very warm. My wife loves her Wicked Good mocs.
Windmill Boy
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Weekend  Update ..............., posted by senior citizen on Sep 19, 2005

Senior

Good Advice.  I'm not one to really buy from catalogues though.  I was thinking of buying her the Female version of my navy P coat which is awesome (bought it in atlanta on a 95 F day).  but I figured the coat will weigh almost as much as she does.  I think we will just keep our eyes open in the local stores.  I have been trying to explain to her the Idea of wearing layers.   Moccasins  is something to consider for her though.

Windy

Jimbo
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Weekend  Update ..............., posted by Windmill Boy on Sep 19, 2005

WB,

Get the Dr. Zhivago dvd and watch it with her - great movie!  Now that's winter!  She'll be glad she didn't marry a russian :-)

I've got a P coat too.  The collar on those things blocks the wind nicely.

Sally has driven through five New England winters without an accident.  No speeding tickets either... not yet.

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: