Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 28, 2024, 06:21:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 751 Process Time, or Your Tax Dollars at Work  (Read 15670 times)
Bob S
« on: October 14, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

So, we're coming up on the time limit of the Conditional Permanent Residency.  And per instructions, as we are now within the 90 days window before card expiration, we filled out and submitted the I-751 form for Removal of Conditional Status so we can get Akiko her permanent green card (well, good for 10 years anyway).

Yesterday we get the Notice of Action.  And it reads:
blah-blah-blah as it will take a minimum of 330 days to process your application...
Eh?  Almost a whole freakin' year?!
...your conditional residency card and authorization to work have been extended for 1 year...
Well, thanks.  That helps a bit.
...If you have not been contacted by us within 11 months, please call us... blah-blah-blah.

Uh huh.  Too busy putting together an amnesty program to bother doing their job for people who entered the country legally?  Well, no problem.  We can wait a year.  Heck, by then we'll have a bouncing baby girl to bring in to the INS... er... USCIS interview.

So, my question for the group is, has anyone else recently applied for Removal of Conditional Status and had it delayed so long?  And if so, did they send a new conditional green card with an up-dated expiration date?
Thanks in advance.

Jimbo
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to 751 Process Time, or Your Tax Dollars at..., posted by Bob S on Oct 14, 2005

Bob,

The I-751 took a year for us also.  No updated conditional card was issued.  Sally had an interview and the permanent card came 6 weeks after that (they said 6 months).  She travelled overseas with the expired conditional card and the NOA extension form, no problems.

Jim

Bob S
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: 751 Process Time, or Your Tax Dollar..., posted by Jimbo on Oct 16, 2005

Akiko's conditional creen card was set to expire this December (2005), and December of next year (2006) we planned to visit her family.  If Sally's experience is in any way typical, then it's comforting to know my wife should have no problems coming back through Customs even if the face of her card shows it as expired 12/2005 as long as their computer records show it as valid.
Jimbo
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Good to know., posted by Bob S on Oct 17, 2005

Before I-751 approval and before the extension expires, CARRY the NOA that says "your conditional residency card and authorization to work have been extended for 1 year" along with the expired card.  I would make a copy and keep it in the hotel as a backup.  She may need both to get back in.

If you travel in Dec 2006 and the NOA extension for 1 year has expired, do like Ray says and get I-151 passport stamp.

Jim

Ray
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to 751 Process Time, or Your Tax Dollars at..., posted by Bob S on Oct 14, 2005

Bob,

We filed the I-751 in March, 2003 at CSC and it was approved in March, 2004. There was no interview, probably because we submitted good evidence.

After approval, we had to go in to the local CIS office with her passport, old Green Card, and 3 photos. They took the old card and stamped her passport with the temporary I-551 good for 1 year. They said it would take about a year to get the new card. They STILL haven’t sent the new card a year and a half later, but now she doesn’t need it any more because she is a citizen.

Just keep a copy of the Form G-854 extension with her old card. If the I-751 hasn’t been approved within 12-13 months, make an InfoPass appointment and get a stamp in her passport.

After the I-751 is approved, if you don’t get the new card within a year, make another InfoPass appt and get a new stamp in her passport (ask for another year, not a few months!). With a valid passport and an I-551 stamp it, she still has all the privileges that she would with a new Green Card.

Note: They never did put the I-751 file # in their on-line tracking system.

I agree that the CIS sucks big green ones (not cards) and they will probably never get their act together, Meanwhile, they are increasing fees again. If and when your wife gets her U.S. citizenship, you will probably never have to deal with those bozos again.

Ray

Bob S
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: 751 Process Time, posted by Ray on Oct 14, 2005

Very informative.  Thanks much!

Bob
(-8

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: