Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 20, 2024, 12:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help please  (Read 3571 times)
AZBuckI
« on: April 18, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a longtime reader but rarely post to this board.  I'm going to be in Lapu-lapu City later this summer.  I've been involved with someone for a little over six months now.  We had been planning to go through the fiance visa process, however, now it seems she may want to get married there first (I think she's getting pressure from friends).  We both agree that we just want to do whatever will allow us to be together the quickest.

Can some of you tell me if there is any difference between the fiance visa process, or the spouse visa paperwork?  I've been told numerous times that the fiance visa is a quicker process.  However, my lady says that she's been told by friends that the spouse visa is quicker.  I told her I would check into it, so I'm starting here.  If there is no difference then we have some things we need to discuss.

If no one hear can difinatively answer this question, can someone point me in the direction of a lawyer or someone else who can?  Thanks in advance.

AZBuck

Ray
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Help please, posted by AZBuckI on Apr 18, 2005

If she wants to get married in her home town with her family and friends with her, then why don’t you just do whatever it takes to make her happy on her wedding day? Believe me there are some things more important than being together the quickest.

When you say that you both agree that you want to do what is quickest, are you REALLY sure that is what she wants? The reason I ask is because these girls will often agree with your wishes because they don’t want to disagree. ‘Most’ Filipina ladies will want a nice church wedding and I am a firm believer that a guy should do whatever he can to make his bride happy on her wedding day, even if you would really prefer a quickie wedding in front of a judge. But if that is truly what she wants, to do whatever it takes to be together faster, then the fiancée visa will “usually” be a little faster, but not always. A lot depends on where you live and where you file the fiancée visa petition. For example, if you file in Texas then you could probably get a spouse visa faster. If you file in Vermont or California, then the fiancée visa should normally be faster.

In the long run, the paperwork requirements and the processing fees are very similar. The big advantage of the fiancée visa is that it gives you both a little more time to be absolutely sure before you make the final legal commitment. The spouse visa may take a few months longer, but it has definite advantages down the line with respect to immigration processing procedures and other benefits of permanent residence and eventual citizenship.

My advice would be to find out what she REALLY wants for a wedding and then decide together which method is best for your case. How long you will be separated should be of secondary importance IMHO.

Good luck,

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: