Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 28, 2024, 03:38:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ray or anyone know how this works?  (Read 6481 times)
Heat
« on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

If I were to meet a girl in the U.S. who is legally here on a tourist visa and we marry here in the U.S.  What happens and is it a pain to change her status?

Thanks in advance.

Michael B
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ray or anyone know how this works?, posted by Heat on May 1, 2005

I did that, back in 1982, didn't have any trouble. No doubt the rules and policies have changed since then. Follow Ray's advice.
Ray
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ray or anyone know how this works?, posted by Heat on May 1, 2005

If you first meet while she is here as a tourist, then you can get married and apply for Adjustment of Status. It could get messy, especially if they suspect that you two used the tourist visa as a means to bypass the normal visa procedures. I’m not sure how they look at these cases now but in the past they used to sort of follow a 90-day rule, where they would look upon your case with suspicion if she married within 90 days of arrival. I guess the thinking was that if she married that soon, it was likely pre-arranged and not a spur of the moment thing.

Generally, if there is no obvious evidence of visa fraud, they will approve her Adjustment of Status and she would be able to stay. The worst that could happen is that they require her to return home and make you file a petition for a spousal visa (CR-1/K-3). If her visa expires and they won’t renew it before you can process the AOS, there could be other problems. For someone in that situation, I would advise a consult with an immigration attorney before tying the knot.

Ray

Stephen
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Ray or anyone know how this works?, posted by Ray on May 1, 2005

Agreed.  I was reading an article by an immigration attorney on this issue several months back.  He said that the most important issue to NOT TO MARRY HER as soon as she gets to the States.  IT MUST LOOK LIKE IT WAS NOT PLANNED.

S

Heat
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Ray or anyone know how this works?, posted by Ray on May 1, 2005

Thanks Ray,

You da man!

You knowledge of this process never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks again

Stephen
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Ray or anyone know how this work..., posted by Heat on May 1, 2005

Yeah...I personally don't know how Ray keeps up on this stuff.

Most folks are just like me.  I went through the process with Tess back in 2000.  It got done.  AND I FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT.

S

Keith NC
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ray or anyone know how this works?, posted by Stephen on May 1, 2005

I forgot all of it too.
Stephen
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ray definately knows his stuff., posted by Keith NC on May 2, 2005

Hey....where are the pictures of your trip?  Ray and I like photos.  Lots of them.

S

Keith NC
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Ray definately knows his stuff., posted by Stephen on May 2, 2005

Stephen,

I have some pictures but I wasn't sure how to post them.  What do the other guys do about this?  You now Butuan is alot more laid back than Davao City.  It is almost like a small town.  It seemed that way to me anyway.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: