Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
May 16, 2024, 10:13:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a Social Security number ...  (Read 9149 times)
Windmill Boy
« on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hello  Everyone

Kathryn and I seem to be having trouble  in obtaining  a  social security number for her in a timely manner.  

Yesterday  we  went  down to the local SSN  office  and we  were told that without  employment authorization  from the INS / Homeland Security  office   they  cannot  issue a number.  We  are  about  to submit  our  Application  for  permenent resident, permission to work, G 325 form again, advanced parole, and affidavit of support forms  hopefully by this  weekend.  But  this  may cause us  to  have  to  wait a few  more months to receive   the permission  to  work   grinding our  process  to a screaching  halt.  I  called  the national Social security number  and  basically got  the  same  answer  that  without  permission to work  or  for reasons of  attending  school  a non citizen cannot get a  social security number.

I have  seen  web sites  that  indicate that  upon entry to the  US  at  different  ports of entry  the officials  can stamp the I 94 card  authorising  immediate working possibilities.   we  entered  in LA  and  apparently  Sandiego  and  San Francisco  also  do not  do this.  But  it  is possible  to  have  this  occur  in other ports of entry  like  Boston and  Atlanta and  sometimes JFK.   What  is  the  scoop on this  process?

Please  can  some one tell  me  if I am missing a loophole in the law so that We  can get  the  Social Security  number  much  Quicker.   I  have  heard  many  stories  of  getting  the  SSN  rather  quickly upon  arriving.

Also Last  friday  we  Got  married  by  the  Justice  of  the  Peace  thinking  it  would  expidite  the legal  process  rather  than  having  to wait until  the  real  wedding  which will occur on  June  25  th.  are  we  still considered  K1  Visa  or  has  our  status  changed?

Thank you for your Help

ERIC and KATHRYN

Bob S
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Getting a Social Security number ..., posted by Windmill Boy on May 5, 2005

Ran into a similar problem with my ex back in 2000.  I was told (too late to do anything about it) that getting authorization to work can be done as a walk-in procedure down at the local INS office (at the time was in Westminster where I used to live).  But that is BEFORE you are married and have filed for adjustment of status.  If you already filed, you may have to wait for her green card.

So if you got a local field office of the INS (or whatever it's now called), you may be able to walk in when they open and get her I-94 and passport stamped off.  But be prepared to wait a while (typical gov't office).  At least they can answer your questions directly.

nealt
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Getting a Social Security number ..., posted by Windmill Boy on May 5, 2005

just tell them she is Mexican she will get it on the spot
Keith NC
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Getting a Social Security number ..., posted by nealt on May 6, 2005

LOL.  Thats the truth.
nealt
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

just tell them she is Mexican she will get it on the spot
Ray
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Ray]

Hi Eric,

The SSA people you talked to obviously don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground, which is about par for the course.

K-1 visa holders ARE authorized to work by virtue of their visa classification and DO NOT need written authorization from CIS. Here is the reference to the official SSA policy. You need to print it out and stick it in their faces.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

If you read down to section C, you will see that K-1’s are clearly authorized to work and also authorized to receive an SS Card. However, you may have waited too long to apply. You should have brought her down to the SSA office right after her arrival. The implied work authorization for K-1’s is only good for the 90-day period after arrival. Since it usually takes a couple of weeks to process the SS Card application for a K-1, the SSA isn‘t going to process her application if she has been here for about 75 days or longer.

Since you are already married now and she will need an EAD from CIS to get a permanent SS Card after 90 days anyway, you should just wait until you file the AOS and include an application for Employment Authorization Form I-765.

Even after marriage, her K-1 status still applies for the first 90-days. After that, she is in kind of a limbo (awaiting adjustment of status).

Ray

Windmill Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to SSA people full of krap..., posted by Ray on May 5, 2005

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your advise and comments, I am Eric's wife Kat, we are now in the process for handle the AOS, we need to prepare the vaccination statement to attached with the I 485 form, this morning we go to visit a couple of the civil surgeons, they request us to take at least 6 injections, for I know I only take MMR and Tetanus is fine since I already taken the Chicken Pox in China when i was young. so How to proved to the doctor that I just only need to take the MMR and Tetanus is enough?

We are looking forward for your prompty reply

With Best Regards
Kat

Ray
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: SSA people full of krap..., posted by Windmill Boy on May 6, 2005

Hi Kat,

Welcome to America!

Usually the best way to handle the vaccinations is to submit a copy of your vaccination supplement with your I-485 and wait to see if CIS tells you that you need more vaccinations. When you had your visa medical exam in China, did they give you all the required shots? They should have given you a copy of the vaccination supplement also.

During the medical exam, the examining doctor determines which vaccinations you need based on several factors. They consider your age, question you about your health history, look for smallpox vaccination scars, etc. They can also tell which vaccinations you likely had by where and when you went to school. They also test your blood sample for certain antibodies, which can help determine which vaccinations you have already had.

Six injections sounds like a lot, but the designated civil surgeons are the ones who are supposed to know. “Normally”, they usually give 2-4 shots. I think my wife had 2.

So how do you like the USA so far? Did Eric buy you a rice cooker and rice dispenser yet? :-)

Ray

Windmill Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: SSA people full of krap..., posted by Ray on May 6, 2005

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your advise, the doctor in China did not copy me the medical exam as they said this is not allow to copy. can you pls let me know the link for the find out the documents which can proved that I only take the MMR and TD is enough? since the dotor want to earn more from us, K1 visa and other visa is different.

We are appreciated for your prompt reply

Thanks and Best Regards
Kat

Ray
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: SSA people full of krap..., posted by Windmill Boy on May 6, 2005

Kat,

There is no way to prove in advance which shots you will or will not need. Each person is evaluated on a case-by-case basis and only the designated civil surgeon can tell you which ones you need. If you have any personal vaccination records, they will consider those but they should be translated into English. If you don’t like the doctor’s opinion, you can always see another doctor.

I think you should have been evaluated for required immunizations during your visa medical exam and given a copy of your Vaccination Supplement. If you didn’t get a copy, there should be one in your immigration file, which is why I suggested that you first file your I-485 for AOS and wait for CIS to notify you that you need any required shots.

Did you receive any shots during your visa medical exam? If you had all the required shots during your medical exam, then you may be O.K.

Ray

Windmill Boy
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: SSA people full of krap...., posted by Ray on May 7, 2005

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your advise so much, the K1 visa not require for the vaccination injection in China, the medical exam has been done but the doctor did not copy for medical record for me they siad the American consulete not allow them to do this. So do you mean I mail out the I 485 first, the vaccination supplement can hanld later on. when I go to have the PR interview, I bring with the vaccination supplement record is fine? I think this can save the time.

Thank you for your advise again!

Kat

Ray
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Thank you Ray, posted by Windmill Boy on May 7, 2005

Yes, that's what I would do. Submit the I-485 package for AOS now and wait for further instructions from CIS. They will probably send you a notice for a fingerprint appointment, and later an interview date with additional instructions for completing the vaccination requirements.

You are correct, the vaccinations are optional for K-visa applicants, but it is highly recommended that the applicant get all the shots at the time of the medical, especially if the fee for the med exam includes the cost of vaccinations.

Ray

Windmill Boy
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Thank you Ray, posted by Ray on May 8, 2005

Many thanks again, Ray.  Today is Eric's brithday but he is busy as today also is the monther's day, he will work overtime and I will let him know your advise after he back home.

Wish all the best wishes to you and your family!!

With God's blessing
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: