Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 19, 2024, 09:48:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Citizenship test - she passed!  (Read 24102 times)
Jimbo
« on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Sally is to be sworn in at Faneuil Hall in Boston on January 26.  That should be a fun day.  It all started when she arrived in the US in May of 1999 and we were married two months later.

She said there were ten oral questions on civics and history, two English writing exercises, and a number of questions on the present state of her marriage.  They also looked over the materials in the N-400 package and the documents that they asked us to carry in: marriage certificate, birth certificates, my divorce decree, latest tax returns.  One more time, prove to us you have a legitimate marriage.

Then they asked where I was.  Sally told them I was walking around somewhere (but I was actually upstairs in the cafe having lunch).  That was ok, they didn't hunt me down.

For all the Asian ladies out there, here is a portion of what they asked Sally:

-Who was President during the Civil War?
-What is the Constitution?
-Can the Constitution be changed?
-What do we call changes to the Constitution?
-How many branches are there in the US Government?
-For how long do we elect each US Senator?

-Write this sentence: "Today I came to Boston."
-Read this sentence: "For how long do we elect each US Senator?"

No so bad, huh?

Jim

Febtember
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Citizenship test - she passed!, posted by Jimbo on Jan 9, 2005

Everything is your fault now!remember everything goes wrong the whole world love to blame it to america.Anyway congratulation.
I will apply for my american cetizenship sooner.I too love being blame I mean love to say I'm american now.Raquel
Stephen
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: congratulation, posted by Febtember on Jan 13, 2005

Good to hear from you again.  I'm sure you're busy now with 2 kids on your hands.

But don't forget about us.  We always enjoy hearing from you.

Stephen

Jimbo
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi Feb,

How's the new addition?  Keeping you very busy I bet.  I hope you don't drive the tractor with the little one on your lap :-)  Did you get your license yet?

Jim

gregory03
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

sent you an email
Howard
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Citizenship test - she passed!, posted by Jimbo on Jan 9, 2005

Sally,

Welcome to the club! Hheheehehehehe

Gerlie and I have talked about her becoming a citizen, but that's so far off right now.  We're still working on our AOS :-O

Keep the Faith!

H

Jimbo
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Congratulation!, posted by Howard on Jan 12, 2005

congratulation to you Howard and Gerlie, finally she's here with you.:-)  

Time flies so fast look at me I never thought am now a US citizen. Tell Gerlie if she really wants to become a US citizen someday, she must have to learn and study about the US history and US government.  The US citizenship test it was really easy if you know the answer. :-)) So goodluck to you Gerlie and Howard.  I wish you both a long day of happiness.  Also goodluck with the AOS.

Best wishes!

Sally

gennye406
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi Jim and Sally!!!

Congratulations Sally & Jim!!! Guenter and I are thinking of what to give you na merong stars & stripes (hmmm oops baka sabunutan mo ko.. haha)  
well happy to have gotten to know you (thanks to Ray!) and on Sunday... we shall SEE each other!!

kudos!  
gene

Jimbo
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Citizenship test - she passed!, posted by gennye406 on Jan 11, 2005

to introduce you to Tess, she is also from Butuan City. She's a regular poster here. She lives in California.  So don't be shy to post here if you have a chance, because this is not only for men forum. There are plenty of Filipina also posting here like: Peaches, Honey, sorry i forget some of them I am not good in names.  Also the gentlemens here are all very nice and friendly.

Welcome to the board again Gene.

Sally

Jimbo
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Citizenship test - she passed!, posted by gennye406 on Jan 11, 2005

Thank You Gene that's sweet. Okay tuloy sa Sunday. American time ha!:-))
Huwag kang mag alala hindi kita sabunutan, kukurutin lang kita.LOL  See Ya! Say hi to Guenter. Thanks!

Take care

Sally

Bear
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I wonder how many Filipina wifes actually want to be American citizens?  I have heard in the past that there are a lot who don't?  Can you tell us some of the benefits you now expect because of this change?  I know that taxes are a great deal higher for non-citizens should the spouse die but I only know this from hearsay - I have no record of it.

Congradualations Sally - Welcome to the new American!

The Bear Family

Jimbo
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Citizenship test - she passed!, posted by Bear on Jan 11, 2005

Hi Bear,

You're right, not all want to become citizens.  The decision was hers and that's what she decided.  She'll be able to vote and travel with fewer visa retrictions, I guess.

Actually it makes for more work for us because we plan to semi-retire in the Phils in a year or two.  My company may move this year and I've already decided not to follow them - or the business in general.  I'm going to switch careers and work for myself.

So now, Sally will have to apply for dual citizenship so we can live over there and own property.  We will start the process with the NYC consulate soon.

Thanks and Best Wishes for your happy and growing family!

Jim

Jeff S
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Citizenship test - she passed!, posted by Bear on Jan 11, 2005

Not higher taxes, it's just that the inheritance taxes have lower minimum before the taxes kick in and they're assessed upon your death. They're concerned that the non-citizen will return to their home country with the inheritance before the US gets their mordida. If your wife is a US citizen, they wait for her to kick off before assessing the inheritance taxes.

It's not much to worry about unless your assets are will into the 7 figures - not so hard these days, though, with what's happening with real estate prices. There are also ways around the problems, with special family trusts. Consult your CPA.

- Jeff

Jay
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Jay]

Hi Jim and Sally,

Guess I better get into this publicly, rather than just by e-mail. LOL!

Hail to the NEW Americans!! Hail to our soon to be, newest Patriot! Are you a New England Patriots fan by any chance???

Conratulations Sally!!!!!! I don't even know all those answers off the top of my head.  If you haven't already, check your mail!

You Go Girl,
Jay

Jimbo
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Citizenship test - she passed!, posted by Jay on Jan 11, 2005

Thank you Jay, I am proud to be a new american and I am a patriotic too.  When I first arrived here in USA I heard this patriot song "God Bless The USA" since then I fell in love with that song. I even bought a Karaoke system so I could sing it, but still struggling though.:-)) When Jim heard me singing he was laughing at me because I was not an american at the time.  But now I can sing it out loud. Oh no, don't run awaaaay.:-))

Yes,yes I am a big patriots fan. Go Pats!

Say Hi to Criselda.

Sally

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: