Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 19, 2024, 03:10:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4.3 quake shakes Butuan City  (Read 7039 times)
Dave H
« on: January 15, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

"The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said Tuesday an intensity 4.3 earthquake shook Butuan City, Agusan del Norte at around 3:21 in the afternoon.

According to Phivolcs, the earthquake was tectonic in origin and its possible source is described only as the "PFZ East Mindanao Segment."

Phivolcs said the tremor's epicenter was 14 kilometers northwest of Butuan City.

Meanwhile, intensity 2 earthquakes were recorded in Cagayan de Oro City and in Hibok-Hibok, while a magnitude 1 earthquake was felt in Mandawe City."

Phivolcs expects no damage and aftershocks after the quake.
abs-cbnNEWS.com monitor

We didn't hear of any damage, but heard it was quite frightening.

Dave H.

Keith NC
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to 4.3 quake shakes Butuan City, posted by Dave H on Jan 15, 2005

Hi Dave,

Do you live in Butuan City now?  I wasn't sure if you lived there part of the time or full time.  The reason I am asking is because I am going to be there on february 23.  I am flying Cebu Pacific and will be there about 11:00 am that morning.  I will be there about eleven days.  Aneicta has school during the morning so I thought if you lived there I could buy you and your wife lunch or something.  

Anecita, didn't mention anything about the earthquake at all.  I think your are right it must not phase them.  Since I have never felt one living on the east coast that would be a little too close for comfort for me.  Lol.  

Keith

Ray
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to 4.3 quake shakes Butuan City, posted by Dave H on Jan 15, 2005

“…intensity 2 earthquakes were recorded in Cagayan de Oro City and in Hibok-Hibok, while a magnitude 1 earthquake was felt in Mandawe City."

Hibok-Hibok is an active volcano, so I don’t think a magnitude 2 tremor is anything unusual.

Dave, I didn’t know you could even feel a magnitude 1 earthquake. My farts often register a 5.0 or higher! I guess I’ve been in California too long :-)

Ray

Dave H
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Shocking!, posted by Ray on Jan 15, 2005

Hi Ray,

A magnitude 1.0 earthquake probably wouldn't even get a Filipino to raise an eyebrow. LOL I've been through several small earthquakes (probably a little over 2.0 in magnitude) in Butuan City, that nobody else seemed to notice. A strange sensation came over me. =8oO Being new to earthquakes, I had to ask my wife if I had just experienced one. LOL Most of Butuan City is built upon a delta created by the Agusan River. Much of the area was under water at the time of Magellan's visit. Big trucks make the ground shake near our house, so I'm sure that 4.3 got some attention there.

I heard that Jimbo's windows rattle ever time The Ripper lets one go down in RI. ;o)))

Dave H.

Luther
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I have had recurring dreams of earthquakes my whole life.

In the late 70s I was in a bookstore in downtown Santa Cruz, a 100 year old brick building, looking at a book I'd just picked up off the rack.  My knees felt the strangest wobbly sensation that I tried to ignore, but finally something made me look up.

The bookstore was completely empty.  Everyone had left the building without a sound, except for me and a woman on a second floor balcony.  Her hand was over her mouth.  The walls were swaying back and forth with a loud creaking sound.  My memory of it is that they were being displaced by a foot of so near the top.  Maybe that is an exaggeration.  I finally came unstuck and ran outside.  The street was full of the people who had left the store without screaming or calling out or tapping me on the shoulder or dragging me along.  They were silently staring at the building, which had just stopped swaying.

In 1989 I was 80 miles away in the Stockton area when the big one came.  It destroyed this same bookstore and every building near it.  The beautiful historic Santa Cruz downtown, the "Pacific Garden Mall," was one of the worst victims of the quake that took down an elevated freeway in San Francisco.  I felt the 1989 quake and ran outside to see if anyone else had felt it.

The bookstore quake I experienced in about 1978 was a 5.7.  If it had been a 5.9 I wouldn't be here to tell this story.

We're having our first ice storm of the season here in the Portland area, the day before I am to get my flight for San Francisco and then Taipei and then Manila and then Davao.  Hopefully the rain will melt the frozen rain from last night and then stop raining or get warmer.

Dave H
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to earthquake dreams, posted by Luther on Jan 15, 2005

Hi Luther,

I hope you have a wonderful time and everything turns out GREAT! Good Luck!

Dave H.

Luther
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Have A Great Trip!, posted by Dave H on Jan 15, 2005

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: