Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 19, 2024, 08:59:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Dumaguete in Negros safe?  (Read 6013 times)
jon
« on: February 06, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I was planning to go there or Boracay next week.  And I just was called by a pinay that broke my heart here in the US (5 years ago, she's married now) and she said Dumaguete is dangerous.  She wants me to go stay with her mom in Cebu City or go to Bohol.

Comments?

Jon

DanAndChed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Is Dumaguete  in Negros safe?, posted by jon on Feb 6, 2005

I've never been to Dumaguete, but Mares says it's safe.  We spend most our time in Bacolod or Escalante, in Negros.  In my opinion, it's safer than Manila.

As for Boracay, nice beaches, great resort, kinda like the Carribean, but your money goes farther, and people are nicer.  My favorite part of our trip there was the ride across the island of Iloilo.  It was beautiful.  Of course, I'm easily amazed.  I still enjoy the ride between Escalante and Bacolod. During the daytime that is.  

I still remember the bus ride Mares took me on from Bacolod to Escalante, where the bus broke down and we had to go back and take another bus.  By the time we left it was night time and she told me it was dangerous to travel by bus at night because of bandits.  All I could do is close my eyes, sweat and pray.

Dan And Mares

Ray
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Is Dumaguete  in Negros safe?, posted by jon on Feb 6, 2005

Jon,

Except for central, Southern, and Western Mindanao, Jolo, Sulu, and Tawitawi Islands, the rest of the country is safe for anyone utilizing a little common sense. If there were to be any kind of terror attack, the likely targets would be popular resorts and large cities.

Dumaguete is a college town and is generally peaceful. You can always rent out Larry for bodyguard duty. His hands and farts are registered lethal weapons :-). Anyway, he’s our local expert on Dumaguete and surrounding environs.

Do yourself a favor and get out of the big cities. Life out in the provinces is so much different and you’re sure to enjoy the experience.

Relax and have fun…

Ray

Stephen
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Is Dumaguete  in Negros safe?, posted by Ray on Feb 6, 2005

I agree.  Certain parts of Mindanao are "off-limits" for Yankees.

But I don't think Dumagette is considered "dangerous" territory.

Stephen

Surigao Ken
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Is Dumaguete  in Negros safe?, posted by Stephen on Feb 7, 2005

I agree with Stephen; that certain areas of Mindanao are "off-limits" to Yankees with the exception of our Special Forces guys working the with PH. army tracking and killing those "bandits".

Take care,
Surigao Ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: