Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 06:38:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ball is rolling now ....  (Read 19977 times)
Windmill Boy
« on: December 12, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Hello everyone

Since the board has been rather dead in the last week or two  I thought I'd share some good news. I called the Department of State yesterday  and we found out the Kat  will have her  interview on January 18 th at 8 am.  Even though I was running on 4 hours sleep and I was a little grumpy  when I called her -  the excitement in her voice when I told her that the Interview date is set  was priceless.

Now I will send the I 134 form to her by DHL so it will arrive within the next week and it is tracked. Though  it will cost  twice as much  I  feel safer  using DHL  than  sending these important documents to her during the holidays using US POST and CHINA POST.  I suppose for China  we have done pretty well in that it has only taken 8 months to the day fom mailing the fiance application to receiving the Interview date.

Now  It is time to plan a trip to China in late march early april to help her move her belongings. Now we have to decide our marriage options. We  would like to have  a religious  wedding sometime in june,  but but we recently realized that  Kat will not be able to do anything towards getting assimilated  until she is legally married to me. She is basically a tourist until we are married  so we cannot  start her driving instructions, pursue her adjustment of status so that she can possibly work,  she won't be covered by my health insurance,  we  cannot jump over the border for a visit to Toronto to the nearest china town etc.  So we are looking into our options for getting married with a justice of the peace to get  the process  rolling and a religious wedding later.  Or is it more appropriate for our conciences to just wait  until June and do things the traditional  way.  Kat  may be very bored then as I have to work, my mom doesn't drive any more, and the nearest bus stop, or library or shopping is a mile away from us.

If any one has any ancedotes on what your wife did during this "tourist period" before your marriage while you worked  please feel free to share it with me.

Finally a light at the end of the tunnel

ERIC & KAT

Ray
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The ball is rolling now  ...., posted by Windmill Boy on Dec 12, 2004

Hi Eric,

“ONLY” 8 months to get an interview appointment? Holy Cow! That’s slow. I guess you better hurry up and finish enjoying your freedom as a bachelor (LOL!).

There is really no big hurry to get married legally right after she arrives. She can work during the first 90 days and if she has a driver’s license from China, she should be able to use it here until she gets a new one. If she doesn’t drive, then don’t worry about the license yet. Just get her started on studying for the driver exam. If you want to marry in a civil ceremony to get her medical insurance, go for it. Just be sure that both of you are ready :-)

You can show her how to use the public transportation, but be sure to give her the full personal security lecture soon after arrival (be wary of strangers, don’t open the door for strangers, don’t give personal info on the phone, etc…).

Ray

Michael B
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The ball is rolling now  ...., posted by Windmill Boy on Dec 12, 2004

Hey, congradulations. Actually, she CAN work and get a Social Security card while on a K-1 visa.  In Texas she can also get a DL (assuming that she knows how to drive, if not, she can still get the 'State ID Card')....don't know about your state.

In order to work, she will need a work authorizition from La Migra, form I-765, fee $165.00. You might as well bite the bullet and apply for it as soon as she gets here, because they are going to take 6 to 12 months after you get married to process the adjustment of status anyway, and without the completed AOS she can't work (unless of course, she has the I-765). You mentioned going to Canada too. Well, she can't leave the US (well, she can, but then she can't RETURN) until the AOS is finished, OR, you get a form I-131, fee also $165.00. You can apply for the I-765 the day she gets here, but I don't think you can apply for the I-131 until you have had your marriage and filed your I-485 (adjustment of status).

Well, bet luck to both of you.

Ray
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: The ball is rolling now  ...., posted by Michael B on Dec 12, 2004

Good info Michael.

Just to clarify about the employment authorization, she can work without the EAD during the 1st 90 days while the K-1 visa is still in effect. She should apply for the SS Card very soon after arrival. If she finds a job but the employer insists on an EAD Card, she may be able to get a temporary one free from CIS on a walk in basis. She could apply for the regular EAD with a Form I-765 during the first 90 days as you suggested, but it would expire after she has been here for 90 days and is not renewable and it often takes 90 days to process. Then she would have to apply for a new one and pay the fee again. But you are correct in that she will need the EAD to legally work after her 90 days is up, until the AOS is approved.

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: