Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 24, 2024, 07:11:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 21 day visa plus extension  (Read 6994 times)
Luther
« on: January 04, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I just discovered that the passport is stamped with a 21 day visa when I arrive in the Phils and I will need an extension to stay the full month.  I have heard every kind of advice: 1) get it now to prevent hassles overseas; 2) get it from the guy who stamps my passport when I arrive; 3) get it from the immigration office or consulate while I'm there; 4) just pay the overstay fee when I leave.

I think to get it now I have to Fedex my passport and itinerary to the San Francisco consulate and include a prepaid return Fedex envelope, and beg them to hurry so I won't be without a passport.  Right?  Because my plane leaves on the 16th of this month.

A little voice kept telling me I was missing something on the visa requirements and I only just now listened to the voice and found out about it.  Good thing I hear voices, huh.

Now what should I do?  About the visa, not the voices.

Luther

Ray
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to 21 day visa plus extension, posted by Luther on Jan 4, 2005

Luther,

There is no visa required for 21 days or less. I think a single-entry 59-day tourist visa is $30 from your friendly Phil consulate.

This is where a good travel agent comes in handy. I let my travel agent handle all the paperwork hassles. If you have a Filipino travel agent near you, they will usually be able to get your visa for a reasonable fee. Mine had all the forms and charged me $25 and I saved more than that in gas alone by not driving to L.A. They had all the forms and they make a trip to the consulate at least once a week. They needed my passport, a photo, application form, bank statement, and copy of my travel itinerary. If you bought a ticket from them, they may even do the visa for free(?).

Since you’re leaving soon and time may be a problem, I wouldn’t worry about it now. Like you mentioned, you can get the 38-day extension (59 days total) over there. I don’t know if they will do it at the airport on arrival, but Philippine Immigration has offices around the country where you can get the extension. If you don’t want to waste your valuable time messing with the Filipino bureaucracy over there, again use a reputable travel agent in the Phils. Most major travel agencies can get your visa extension for a reasonable fee in a few days. Maybe Don2222222222222 (OOPS!) or Larry can give you more info on how/where to extend your stay while you’re there.

Yes, you can pay the fee for the extension on departure, but I wouldn’t personally put myself in a position of being out of legal status while I’m there. Remember, you will be in a foreign country and you have virtually NO rights!

I also recommend that you take a photocopy or two of your passport and carry one with you at all times.

As far as hearing those voices in your head, my best advice would be to get off the pot and register Republican (LOL).

Have a good trip!

Ray

don2222
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: 21 day visa plus extension, posted by Ray on Jan 5, 2005

You can go to almost any travel agent  in Cebu or Manila (not sure about the other cities) and they can get your visa extended. They will have your passport back to you in 2 or 3 days.  Yes, they will take your passport for a few days, but I have never had a problem. The agent typically charges P300 to P500 in addition to the cost of the visa.  You can save a few hundred pesos by going to immigration yourself, but it really isn't worth the hassle, IMHO.

Don Smiley

Luther
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to don222222222222222222222, posted by don2222 on Jan 5, 2005

Thanks.  I could probably Fedex my passport to the SF consulate now and get it back in time to leave on Jan 16, but probably isn't good enough at this late date.  Does anyone have personal experience with a travel agency in Davao City or Panabo City?

I wonder if there is someone in the San Francisco airport like a consulate mini office or something where I could get it done on my layover.

My main concern is that they won't consider me negligent for showing up in the Phils without my extension already taken care of when I get there.  40 years chained to the walls of a dungeon for missing one subtlety of international travel requirements.  It sounds like getting it done there is almost as routine as getting it done beforehand.  But last night when I told Jovie what I had to do she thought I should get it done here because she is worried about "fake people" in the Manila airport who would be scamming me.

don2222
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to travel agents in Davao or Panabo City, posted by Luther on Jan 5, 2005

Hi Luther,

I arrived here on a one year open-ended ticket, and they just gave me the normal 21 day visa at the airport.  I then just have my travel agent handle the extensions.
They do not care about your return date, they only care that you have a round trip ticket.
Do not worry about how many days you will stay, just make sure you have your visa extended before you depart from the Phils.

Don

Ray
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to don222222222222222222222, posted by don2222 on Jan 5, 2005

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: