Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 19, 2024, 03:29:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 months and all is well  (Read 42057 times)
lswote
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to 5 months and all is well, posted by Peter Lee on Oct 12, 2004

I can't answer any of your other questions Peter, but I can tell you that you can probably purchase the 7000 miles you are lacking to get you up to 70,000 if you want to.  I did it last year when I was a few thousand miles short with my AA Advantage miles.  You might want to check the Delta Airlines website to find out how to do it.  I won't cost you much, at least not as much as the ticket you will be able to get if you have 70,000 miles.
senior citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to 5 months and all is well, posted by Peter Lee on Oct 12, 2004

Whomever told you that at the AFB was so full of dookey their eyes are brown. They have survivor benefit plan open enrollment periods at intervals. I retired single and I got Honey in on an open enrollment period. You need to talk to DEERS as well. Does she have her military ID card yet? That makes her eligible for Tricare, BX/Commissary privilidges and all that, even after you die (so long as she does not remarry or go back to the Philippines, and maybe even if she does, I don't know about that). Tricare for her costs you $300 per year but that is better than nothing. When you get medicare, add part B and you get to keep your tricare for life instead of the VA care, which is usually substandard. You can still choose to receive VA compentsation for your disabilities and it is tax-free (so far, I don't trust Kerry on that one). You do not have to get your care at the VA to get comp, you can use your tricare benefits. VA comp is also usually more than what you draw in retirement pay, too, depending on the rank you carried when you retired and the level of your disability. If you retired with 20 years of service, you can draw BOTH VA compensation AND retired pay, depending on circumstances (I do). That is a new law. You should have gotten that poop in your periodical retired pay newsletters. You have to be examined by the VA, but it would be worth your while. The VA may rate you higher than the military did, they have different guidelines, but at 50% with a spouse, you would draw about $709 per month along with, or instead of, retired pay (depending). Go to www.va.gov and you can find out a lot of stuff, get pamphlets, electronic application for benefits and all that. Then go to your nearest VA facility and talk to one of their benefits counselors. There is way too much stuff to go over here. The VA also does have special Agent Orange programs and compensation. Several diseases you may have now or may get are linked to AO.

And talk to someone who knows what the &*%$ they are talking about at the AFB, or else contact DoD directly. Ask them when the next open enrollment period is, and also when the last one was (if they say there hasn't been one in a long time they are lying through their teeth). DEERS may also be able to assist you in that area. The AFB people can give you the toll-free number to DEERS.

I am a Viet Nam vet and retired, with a service-connected (combat) disability. Don't let the AF give you the run around. They're trying to protect their budget. If the VA gives you rating trouble, you can authorize the VFW or another organization to represent you at hearings. It is also important to get these things done (military ID for wife and VA compensation), because if you have kids they are eligible for all sorts of benefits from a retired GI dad, even (and in some cases especially) if you pass on while they are still minors. College living expenses,outright college grants and other things not only from the feds but also from your state government. You'd be surprised at the benefits to a disabled vet's/retiree's children.

** senior citizen **
(retired Marine and in receipt of disability pay)

Ray
SBP
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: 5 months and all is well, posted by senior citizen on Oct 13, 2004

Hi Señor,

Overall, I didn’t think SBP was that great of a deal when I retired, so I didn’t sign up for it. Those SBP open enrollment periods are not regular options. There have been a few, but it wasn’t a good deal for everyone. In the last one (1999-2000), I think you had to buy in with a cash premium to make up for all the years that you didn’t pay, essentially requiring most guys to pay back premiums with interest. For some, that wasn’t much help at all. There are no more “scheduled” open enrollment periods and there may never be any unless specifically authorized by congress.

In Peter’s case, it would be really nice if he could now cover his wife at 55% (or 35%) of his retired pay, for the rest of her life, which could be 50 years after he croaks. However, that wouldn’t be fair to the people who have been paying premiums all along because the participating members are supposed to bear the majority of the cost.

I think Peter already got her ID and DEERS enrollment taken care of. We have Tricare Prime for $460/year and it can’t be beat. The wife recently had major surgery at the Naval Hospital here in San Diego, and the total bill for EVERYTHING, hospital stay, surgery, lab tests, pre & post doctor visits, prescription drugs, etc., etc., came to exactly $26.70.

I think in Peter’s case, he really needs to sit down with a retired affairs expert, a VA counselor, etc. like you suggested. Those quarterly retired newsletters that you mentioned do list all these benefits in detail. Peter should be on the mailing list for the Air Force publication.

Ray

senior citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to SBP, posted by Ray on Oct 13, 2004

Yeah, but open enrollment dates are mostly for those who got married, or remarried, since retirement. Especially those who were single when they retired. Since I was single (never married) when I retired, I did not have to pay the cash premium, so it made sense for us.

I agree that SBP isn't all that hot, but every little bit helps and he did ask about it by name. I recommend he begin a real retirement account right now, pay it up to the max, and also get her into a money-market or index fund of some sort.

However, being able to draw retirement PLUS VA is attractive. If he is of the Viet Nam era, his disability retirement is non-taxable, and if he had 20 years in he should be able to draw both pensions. In my case the VA money eventually became more than the retirement pay, so I put the retirement pay straight into Honey's retirement account.

I also suggest he get good term insurance. Military Benefit Association has decent term insurance, and they are the ones I use, but it could be any of several.

I got prime for Honey but I use the old Tricare For Life thing for me. Because, since I also draw Medicare A & B, I can go to a civilian hospital if I want.

Ray
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: SBP, posted by senior citizen on Oct 14, 2004

Senior,

That sounds like you made out great on SBP if you didn’t have to buy in. You’re right. Those who were single when they retired had an excellent opportunity in the last open enrollment period, especially if you had been retired for many years and then married a much younger woman. I don’t think there is any commercial life policy anywhere that could give you that kind of a deal.

Ray

Bear
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: 5 months and all is well, posted by senior citizen on Oct 13, 2004

...that I am missing something?  I served during Nam but I was stationed in Fuerth, Germany (Darby Kaserne, 1/94th FA, 2nd Armored Div.) the whole enlistment (3 years).  I've never tried for any benefits other than education (i is now an kollege eddumacated engamaneer).  Unfortunately I've been told my credit is so bad that I can't use the VA Home loan guarantee (the heart attack and following 11 months of unemployment caused me to declare bankruptcy).  

But is there something I should be qualifying Honey and AJ on?

Bear+

Ray
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Is it possible..., posted by Bear on Oct 13, 2004

Hi Bear,

Most of that stuff he was talking about applies to retired and/or disbled vets only.

Ray

Stephen
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Hello Peter:

It's good to hear from you.  I wondered where you had been.  Glad to hear things are going so well.

Stephen

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: