Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 16, 2024, 11:07:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rules for driving in the R.P.  (Read 6801 times)
Bear
« on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

1.  When on a one way street, stay to the right to allow oncoming traffic to pass.
2.  Never, ever stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself inder the wheels of the car.
3.  The first parking space you see will be the last parking space you see. Grab it at any cost, u turns in middle of the road and backing up in traffic are normal procedure and should be done if necessary.
4.  Double-parking is OK, unless triple parking is available.
5.  Learn to swerve abruptly.  Places like Cebu City is home of slalom driving, thanks to the strategicaly located potholes, installed by organizations like LTO, to test drivers reflexes.
6.  Never take the right away from an vehicle needing extensive body work.
7.  Always look both ways when running a red light.
8.  Honking of horn the instant a light turns green is compulsory, You can lose your driving privaleges if if apprehended in violation of this rule.
9.  Never use turn signals if your real intention is to make a turn.  This only warns other drivers to spped up and not let you in.
10. Making eye contact revokes your right of way.
11. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right.
12. Whenever possible, stop in the middle of the crosswalk to ensure as much inconvenience to pedestrians as possible.
13. If a pedestrian steps into the road in front of you, speed up, honk your horn and yell loudly so as to scare him back to the curb.
Peter Lee
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Rules for driving in the R.P., posted by Bear on Feb 7, 2004

After my wife got her drivers license at the police station and was driving me on our motorcycle through Cebu city she asked me what the red light was for.
[True story]
I said it is a break and rest time to give one side a chance to rest for the big traffic problem up ahead LOL.

Green means the break time is over and the rush to the next break begins.  

I have wondered how dogs over there are not hit by traffic?

I wonder how no cars or jeepneys pull out without looking first and don't get hit?

I wonder how so many cars can meet at an intersection with traffic lights and all get by without anyone getting pissed off?
I wonder how the jeepney drivers know who paid, when so many are coming on and off.  They just hand the money to someone and pass it on to the driver.  It is an amazing honor system that seems to work.

The honking of the horns by others was my radar to know where everyone was as I was driving.  It made me feel secure and I returned the favor so traffic in front of me would know I was coming.  

As I was driving in the PI and then back in the USA there was a notable difference in the attitude of driving there and here.  

I felt safer there than here on the motorcycle as the attitude was to respect my space and expect me to do something I shouldn't.

Here when I drive if I want to pull into a lane and traffic is coming to a red light for example even though they know they have to stop they will not let you in.  The rule is "don't respect anyone's space don't let them get away with passing you and if they are slower that you they are Axxhols if they are faster than you they are maniacs.

We depend on good roads, signs lights and police that actually help the flow of traffic.  
They seem to do with out any of that and I don't know what the accident rates are there but I didn't see any in the 2 months I was driving.

Oh and for handicap extra points you have to demonstrate driving a motorcycle with flip flop sandals changing gears breaking and slide stopping with out losing them.

Another nice feature over there was the check points so see if you have a license and insurance plates and a helmet was always in the same place months at a time.  All you had to do was take note and avoid those places [usually going over bridges]

The most people I seen on a single motorcycle was 5, the driver two in the front and two in the back.  They all went by the checkpoints without a problem coz the driver had a helmet LOL.

I had to stop for shelter in a rainstorm in Cebu, I pulled into a nice dry place and was told to turn off my motor coz it was inside the church and the choir was singing.

Where else could you just pull over and drink a couple of coconuts or suck on  mangoes?

So don’t wonder why you like to visit the PI so much, it is an amazing place and I loved every minute I stayed there.  

DanAndChed
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Sounds like driving in Northern Virginia.
Stephen
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Rules for driving in the R.P., posted by DanAndChed on Feb 7, 2004

It's good to hear from you again.  Don't stay away so long.  You're family here.

Stephen

DanAndChed
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Hey Dan...., posted by Stephen on Feb 7, 2004

Yep we're all hear.  I don't know if I passed it on that Mares had our second child in Sep.  Life has been busy for the us.

Dan and Maes

greg
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

to the Filipinos. Rather take  Taxi, bus, tricycle. Shocked)
Humabdos
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Just yell "HOY BOBO TAGA BUKID KA!"
HUM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: