Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 07:16:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Affidavit of Support Questions  (Read 31360 times)
Peter Lee
« on: December 27, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Affidavit of Support Questions

Yes, I have a question on preparing my Affidavit of Support for my wife who is now in Bansarvil in Kapatagan in Mindanao Philippines.  

On filling out the I –184 and or the I – 864 I wonder which one is the one asked for at the Interview in Manila I have filled them both out just in case?

I noticed there is no place in the form to add my Disability Retired Checks from the DFAS from the USAF.   It is not taxed and I do not know where to put it,.

I have notarized copies of my latest tax return and a notarized copy of my orders for my monthly statement from the DFAS for USAF disability retired income attached.

Left of the line for $  last income if self employed I have entered
*Includes $ XXxxx in USAF non-taxable retirement payments

So I have added my 1040 yearly income with the non taxable retirement yearly income.

Once it is determined it is filled out correct I intend to send it Fed Ex.
I know this is expensive but I know it will get there in about 5 days for sure

The other question was “when should I send this Affidavit of Support?”
I am concerned that sending it too soon may cause problems as I can’t imagine too many safe places on the farm where it is kept dry and safe.   Curious relatives could disturb the package not knowing what it is and get lost or misplaced.   The more I instruct them the more I feel it may get damaged or misplaced.   Also seeing my yearly income from Bansarvil would make me  look like I am a millionaire.  Does any one have experience with this situation?   Maybe I am just paranoid but I had to ask as I plan to send it off next week.
What else could I be sending with this package as the cost for a few additional papers would probably be the same?  
I could send copies of my email to her as I am sure my printing is easier than if my wife does it in the town of Maranding where she emails from.   I have access to her mailbox and password and can print my mail to her from here and send it to her in the package.  I may be doing things a bit wrong so before I send anything I am asking for any corrections or better ideas.

I hope I am on the right track any advice or confermation would be appreciated.  
Thank you
Peter Lee

Ray
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Affidavit of Support Questions, posted by Peter Lee on Dec 27, 2003

You send her the I-134. You can combine your taxable income and your disability income where you list your annual income. It sounds like the way you did it will work fine. Just make sure that all income is documented. For the disability, include a copy of your 1099-R or whatever they send you for an annual statement. Tax returns should include all attachments!

Note: You don’t have to notarize anything but the affidavit itself!

Send the affidavit when she has her appointment schedule. Technically, it’s good for 6 months.

If you are afraid that she will lose the paperwork, then why did you marry her??? If you are worried that someone over there will see your income, then you can send the affidavit direct to the embassy, but be aware that it will probably get lost in the shuffle. Relax and start learning to trust your wife! You’re married now…LOL!

Instead of bothering with the hassle of printing out reams of paper with e-mails, I would just have her submit about 6-12 snail mail letters or cards in original envelopes with postmarks. Try to cover the entire period of your relationship up to the present time. Also, send copies of your telephone bills showing calls to the Phils, family photos, and receipts for money remittances.

Ray

Peter Lee
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Affidavit of Support Questions, posted by Ray on Dec 27, 2003

Ok will do the I-134 the income is documented including the DFAS retirement check

Note: You don’t have to notarize anything but the affidavit itself!
Yes ok

Send the affidavit when she has her appointment schedule. Technically, it’s good for 6 months.

This is a good idea even though I like to get things done ahead of time I feel it is safer with me right now.  

Well Ray as usual you joke around and it is funny.
But I went on that long motorbike trip for 2 months and on my return my other baggage and stuff I had stored in her Aunts’ house was all looked through and not carefully put back.   Papers I carefully put in plastic was disturbed and wet.  No one admitted looking through my stuff.  It could be the kids looking for candy or just curious but it was not in control of my wife who I regard as fairly responsible.  

Ok Ray I know you advised this before but unfortunately I did not send a lot of snail mail at first.   Lots of email and chats though and I was thinking of printing them up for the times not covered in the snail mail.   I have receipts of noble.com for phone card bills to the Philippines and some AT&T I guess I can send that too.   But I get the point of having selected mail quality not quantity right?
Thank you for confirming my intentions, it is nice to know that I am at least on the right track.  ‘Being able to write to you gives us a feeling of confidence and a place to go for questions.  THANK YOU
PS: What is the I-186 for?  Is that for when she gets here?

Ray
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Affidavit of Support Questions, posted by Peter Lee on Dec 28, 2003

You brought up a good point Peter.

I think it’s safe to say that “in general”, Filipinos don’t have the same respect for privacy that you find in our culture. Many Filipinos think nothing of looking over your shoulder while you’re reading your e-mail in an Internet café, sharing your very personal letters with friends or family members, or repeating to others details of personal and “private” conversations that you had. I have even witnessed some trying to listen in on other folks’ confession in church!

The general lack of respect for privacy that you sometimes see in Filipino culture is not something that you must like, but you better accept that it exists or you’ll go crazy. Having someone go through your personal things, like what happened to you, is grossly wrong by our standards but not such a big deal by theirs. Respect for privacy is just another thing about OUR culture that most of our immigrant wives will need to learn when they get here…:-)

When you share some personal information with your wife, like your tax returns or personal financial stuff for example, it would be appropriate to explain to her that you consider that information personal and confidential, and simply remind her not to share it with ANYONE else or to leave it lying around where others can see it. She will understand (I hope).

Ray

Peter Lee
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Privacy Issues, posted by Ray on Dec 28, 2003

Thanks Ray,
It never bothered me that they do that I ajusted to that pretty quick at her Aunts' house.  Lots of younger kids around makes it worse.   Yes my wife should be told about the personal stuff not blab it out to anyone.  It will be part of the overall ajustment when she gets here.
So I will wait to send the Affidavit of support for a while.

I noticed that ASAWA has not updated there immigration timeline since 11 25 03 what's up with that?

Today marks the 2 months waiting on the clock, the receipt on the I-129 said 2 to 6 months for an approval.  So by there letter it shouldn't be more than 4 more months for an approval if all goes well right?

Have a Merry New Year Ray

Ray
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Privacy Issues, posted by Peter Lee on Dec 29, 2003

Peter,

Those time estimates that they put on the NOA are almost meaningless. They should simply say “It will take a long time, unless we find a way to screw it up, in which case it will take even longer”.

I see that the NBC is now processing K-3 petitions received in October, so you should be approved within the next 30 days or so. If I were you, I would start cleaning up the house, FAST! :-)

http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/sctimes.htm

Ray

Peter Lee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to K-3 Processing Times, posted by Ray on Dec 29, 2003

Thanks Ray a dynamite site for sure.

Unfortunately my receipt date is Oct 17 2003 so I just missed it by about 2 weeks as they are processing any before Oct 3rd 2003 if I read it correctly from Missouri.   I will have to wait till the next round.  I wonder how long the next one is?

The house is not clean yet I need a little more time LOL.

Humabdos
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Affidavit of Support Questions, posted by Peter Lee on Dec 27, 2003

The shorter of the two is the one you need first, after she is here you need the long form for the AOS. Send it fed ex before her St.Lukes check up.
Hum
Peter Lee
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Affidavit of Support Questions, posted by Humabdos on Dec 27, 2003

k
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: