Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 24, 2024, 08:30:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cambodia  (Read 55838 times)
Colonialjd
« on: December 27, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

An friend traveled to Siem Riep in Cambodia where he met the love of his life. He is totally smitten and has been back for multiple visits.  

Here in the states a vietnamese friend told me that he considers cambodians to be the "scum of the earth".  Maybe this is the standard contempt that neighboring countries hold for each other.  

My friend would like me to travel to Cambodia with him in order to experience the culture and the women.  

A brief overview of this forum indicates that it is Pilipina based. Nevertheless, what thoughts do you have on Cambodia and the women who live there?

I read the latin board and have traveled extensively in Latin America.

Colonial

Colonialjd
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Cambodia, posted by Colonialjd on Dec 27, 2003

For those with an interest in off beat cinema (and Cambodia) I recommend the movie: "City of ghosts".  Matt Dillon wrote, produced, and stared in this fine film.  Happy New Year.

Colonial

don2222
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Cambodia, posted by Colonialjd on Dec 27, 2003

Last Summer I spent 10 days in Cambodia. I really enjoyed my trip. Some of the people do speak English, the food is really good, i felt safe most of the time, and overall the people and the country seems much more civilized then the Philippines.  The French influence really shows in the food, I never had a bad meal there. The country is fairly clean and quiet. The hotels are great, spotlessly clean, and about $10 a night with ref and air-con.  Most of the people dress very nicely in button down shirts with slacks, or long dresses.  I travelled by boat and bus all over the country, and I never had a problem.  Just be careful at night, there have been some armed robberies reported.

Don

Nathan
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Cambodia, posted by don2222 on Dec 27, 2003

OK...For those who have traveled much arund Asia, Don might have a point. Even for those married to Filipinas, it is not too much to recognize that the country is deeply troubled with serious social problems that keep it mired in poverty and
corruption- a self-reinforcing cycle. A number of other places in SE Asia are quite a bit safer than the Philippines.
Thailand for example is not only quite a bit more prosperous, it is far more safe. I spent a year in Thailand and my brother has lived there since '91. At the same time, filipinos are a warmer more hospitable people on a personal level.
Hong Kong is a far more civilized place than most of the Philippines but I would rather live in the Philippines any day. Lack of civilization is not totally a bad thing sometimes. The last time I was in Cambodia- 1994, it was not stable compared to today, so I don't have a very good fix on conditions there...but guys, give Don a break- The Philippines is not the most civilized country in SE Asia
and one can still like living there though they recognize this
fact. I would be surprised if Don was spending much time in cat houses at any rate....
Stephen
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Cambodia and being civilized, posted by Nathan on Dec 28, 2003

Wow...I never interpreted him to be negative about the Phils.  I thought he was just giving his first hand experience and thoughts.

Now if I went my thoughts and opinions might be different.

I don't think he's slamming the Phils.  He's still there and seems to be enjoying himself.

Actually, I never noticed that statement until I read some of the other responses.

His statement doesn't bother me.  I look forward to his comments and adventures.

Stephen

don2222
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re:  Cambodia and being civilized, posted by Stephen on Dec 28, 2003

[This message has been edited by don2222]

Hi All,

Apparently I touched a nerve with some people.  Maybe I used a poor choice of words, but this is what I was trying to say about Cambodia:

The people dress more professionally, even though they are just as poor , if not poorer, than Filipinos, most of the Cambodians were dressed in slacks, button down oxfords, dresses, skirts, etc.  Whereas, it seems that all Filipinos ever wear are just jeans and t-shirts.

Cambodia is much quieter. You can sleep anytime of the day or night. The motorcycles and cars are quieter, the malls are quiet and peaceful. The drivers never honk their horns.  There just isn't the constant noise that you hear in the Phils.

The people appear more confident. They  look you in the eye when they talk to you. They actually tell you "I don't know", when they don't know the answer instead of lying or avoiding the question.

Most Cambodians, like the Thais, seem to take pride in their own country and culture, and seem less desperate to leave.  Whereas Filipinos seem to constantly talk bad about their own country.  All I ever seem to hear from Filipinos is how bad their own country is, and how they would prefer to live anywhere else.  I find that to be really depressing.  In the Phils I commonly find myself defending the Phils to the Filipinos. I find it odd that I need to constantly tell Filipinos how nice their country and culture really is.

The hotels, even the cheap hotels are spotlessly clean and well maintained. Whereas in the Phils the buildings seem to just fall apart as soon as they are built.

Almost everything in Cambodia seemed to be cleaner, the air is much cleaner.  Every Filipino that looked at my Cambodia pictures commented on how Cambodia and the Phils appear similar, but that Cambodia looks much cleaner.

I never had a bad meal in Cambodia, the food is a little more expensive, but it was always good.

Service in the hotels and restaurants in Cambodia seems to be faster, and without the confusion or lack of response you sometimes see in the Phils.

Very few beggars, and the few beggars I saw never touch you like they do in the Phils. In the smaller towns in Cambodia almost all the people would great me with a smile and a "hello", but they never, ever asked for anything.

I love the Philippines and the Filipinos, but yes, some things here do get on my nerves.  No place is perfect, and I'm sure if I spent more time in Cambodia, I would see more flaws.  

The only time I ever go to bars is with other foreigners here in the Phils, and that is less than once a month.
I very rarely drink, and I do not smoke, so I really do not like going to bars.  It is so easy to have a nice girlfriend here in the Phils, that looking for a bargirl is something that I do not need to do.

I actually did consider living in Cambodia. The  things holding me back are the fact that English is much less commonly used, and that violent crime might be a greater possibility in Cambodia.  

Filipinos are typically very hospitable people, and I never, ever feel unsafe in the Philippines. My feeling of personal safety is something that is very important to me.

Living in a country can be much different than just a two week visit.  Most of the ex-pats in the Phils will quickly tell you of their love-hate relationship with the Phils.
But, that would probably be true of any country, there are simply some things that you like, and some things that you don't like.

I want to apologize to anyone I offended, I was just sharing my own personal opinions, and maybe I should have used a better choice of words.

Don

dyesebel
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Thanks Nathan and Stephen, posted by don2222 on Dec 28, 2003

Thanks Don...Apology Accepted.
THat was nice of you. Again, I appreciate You.

Perhaps, for all the country's flaws and shortcomings, one can't help but get emotional sometimes.  Thank you so much.

Nathan
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Thanks Nathan and Stephen, posted by don2222 on Dec 28, 2003

Don,

It would be great if you emailed me your phone number
there in Cebu...would love to call you. Ever make it down to CDO yet?

Take care and happy New Year to you!

Nathan

Stephen
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Thanks Nathan and Stephen, posted by Nathan on Dec 28, 2003

Are you living back in CDO again?

Stephen

Nathan
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Hey Nathan..., posted by Stephen on Dec 28, 2003

Hi-

Not yet, but it is in the works this year again finally.
I think Don would like it if he has not already visited.

Take care,

Nathan

Stephen
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Hey Nathan..., posted by Nathan on Dec 29, 2003

Yes, CDO is a very nice city.  

Perhaps we can finally meet for a meal sometime next yesr or so in CDO.

Stephen

Nathan
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Hey Nathan..., posted by Stephen on Dec 29, 2003

Stephen,

That would be fine...my email address is listed here under my info, so keep in touch.

Nathan

Humabdos
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

"overall the people and the country seems much more civilized then the Philippines"

I'm really surprised to hear that Don. I'm wondering if your Philippine experience is beginning to sour?
If Cambodia is so great why didn't you chose to live there?
Hum

dyesebel
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Just want to feel sorry for you --- having to put up with the Filipinos, who you said, are less civilized than Cambodians.  I wonder how Filipinos you meet put up with  you as well.
Humabdos
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Cambodia, posted by dyesebel on Dec 28, 2003

I supect Don is getting tired of the Philippines maybe the rejection from all the cute Filipinas is getting to him? I have a feeling that soon Don will be leaveing the Philippines and have nothing good to say about it.
Hum
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: