Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 24, 2024, 11:08:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trip back to the Philippines  (Read 31270 times)
Surigao Ken
« on: December 03, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Hey all!

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I've been reading all the posts and I sure miss all ya'll.

Got some questions and all and any information will be appreciated.
It's time for a trip back to the PH., so my wife can visit her family and show off our baby. I can't go do to being activated for operation Enduring Freedom.
So, how long can my wife and child stay over there? We were thinking about a couple of months. Our change of status interview is coming up in March, will that cause problems? Any ideas on travel. I'm kind of leery about her traveling alone with the baby. I will be getting the little one a passport and ask the doctor about shots and stuff.
Actually, I have a million questions, but this will do for starters.
Any help will be appreciated.

Take care!
Surigao Ken

Surigao Ken
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Trip back to the Philippines, posted by Surigao Ken on Dec 3, 2003

Thanks everyone,

Her two year anniversary interview is coming up. Would it be better for her to visit after that interview? We would like to fly PAL airlines because of her frequent flyer miles and hopefully they would be more helpful with my wife and baby. It's a thought.

I'll keep everyone informed.

Hey Ray,I try to stay away from the chow hall, the food is good but it puts on the weight!

Take care,
Surigao Ken

Ray
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Green card expires March 2004, posted by Surigao Ken on Dec 4, 2003

Ken,

If the green card expires in March, then I’m assuming that you haven’t yet filed the I-751 to remove conditions on her residence. You can file any time within 3 months before and not after the 2nd anniversary of her arrival. Since her anniversary is in March, you can file this month if it’s within the 90 day period. After you file the petition, she will receive notice in the mail in a week or two extending her green card for 1 year. It will probably take almost a year for them to process the I-751 and schedule an interview.

Get the I-751 filed first, wait for the receipt notice with residency extension, then she can go ahead and travel home. It shouldn’t be any problem for her to stay several months if she wants. Make sure that she has the extension notice together with her green card and bring some extra copies along also.

Flying on PAL should be fine...

Ray

Jun Encarnado74
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Trip back to the Philippines, posted by Surigao Ken on Dec 3, 2003

Make sure she has a K-3 Visa. then she doesn't need a re-entry permit.
BE CAREFUL BECAUSE ACCORDING TO THE NEW U.S. IMMIGRATION LAW PASSEN ON TO THE PHILIPPINES THAT ANYONE BOUND FOR THE U.S. WITHOUT A GREENCARD OR JUST HAVE A TEMPORARY GREENCARD IS NOT PERMITTED TO RE-ENTER THE U.S. THIS MEANS THAT IF YOUR WIFE HAS A K-3 VISA, SHE MUST OBTAIN A RE-ENTRY PERMIT THERE IN THE PHILIPPINES FROM THE U.S. CONSULATE.

MY WIFE IS THERE NOW FOR A VACATION WITH OUR 10 MONTH OLD BABY AND MY MOTHER. I MADE SURE THAT SHE HAS A GREENCARD ALREADY BEFORE SHE LEFT FOR THE PINAS.

IF I WERE YOU, JUST WAIT TILL SHE HAS A GREENCARD (NOT A TEMPORARY GREENCARD). IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF HASSLES AND MONEY TOO.

Ray
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Trip back to the Philippines, posted by Jun Encarnado74 on Dec 4, 2003

There is no such law...

Some people returning from the Philippines with a temporary I-551 stamp in their passport have been required to obtain a letter from the U.S. Embassy before boarding the plane (espececially PAL). Why? Because some fool Filipino made up a fake I-551 rubber stamp.

This is not a law and has nothing to do with K-3 visas. See my message of 9/7/03:

http://www.planet-love.com/wwwboard/asian/archives/display.php?archive=000135&id=43152

Ray

Jun Encarnado74
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to New U.S. Immigration Law?, posted by Ray on Dec 4, 2003

ok....that's cool. i should have not used the word "Law". well, if you say so. but like i said some hassles might come up when obtaining that letter from the embassy in manila...whewww...you know how they do business, right?..it's always like: "come back next day, sir."

anyways, i thought i just wanted to share...or something.

Ray
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: New U.S. Immigration Law?, posted by Jun Encarnado74 on Dec 4, 2003

That's O.K., thanks for reminding everyone Jun.

You know, it's kind of funny in a way. U.S. law says that the I-551 stamp, or temporary Green Card, in your passport gives you all the same rights and privileges of the actual Green Card. The only place on earth where they won’t accept the stamp, and instead make you go to the embassy to get a letter verifying your status, is in the Philippines. I guess that is a testament to the ingenuity of Filipino forgers and immigration scammers.

I have only heard of a few cases where U.S. legal residents were refused boarding at the airport because they were returning to the U.S. with the temporary I-551 stamp. I think most all of those asses were with Philippine Airlines. I think PAL was getting fined by the U.S. government every time immigration inspectors caught someone arriving on a PAL flight with fake papers, and then PAL had to give them a free ride home on top of it. I think PAL is getting paranoid. When my wife flew home in September, the bimbos at the PAL counter in Cebu wouldn’t let her board because her Green Card had expired and she had the extension notice from BCIS. She had to go to the PAL office and they had to check with Manila before they cleared her to board her flight. I guess it really pays to check in early :-)

Even with the excellent quality of the fake I-551 stamp, it seems that it only got you on the plane. When those folks arrived at the U.S. POE, they punch the A-number from your I-551 into the computer and it has to come up valid and match your passport info. So it seems that some people paid up to $10,000 for nothing.

For those that must travel to the Philippines with a temporary I-551, it might just be a good idea to stay away from PAL for a while. Maybe a non-direct return route through another country might help too. I would either get the letter early from the Homeland Security office at the embassy or check in about 12 hours early for your flight in case they send you to the embassy.

Ray

Ray
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi Ken,

That’s too bad about getting activated, but at least you get to eat all that great military chow (LOL!)

If she stays out of the country less than 6 months then there should be no problems or consequences. If she stays out over a year, they won’t let her back in. Make sure that her passport and Green Card will be valid for the length of her stay.

When you say change of status interview, do you mean her 2-year anniversary, when you need to file for Removal of Conditions? Or is there a scheduled interview at CIS for the Removal of Conditions? When does her Green Card expire?

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: