Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 25, 2024, 06:08:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "American Woman" question and a little story..  (Read 27118 times)
Jay
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: "American Woman"  ques..., posted by Zebson on Mar 23, 2001

Hi Zebson,

I was going to the Philippines to be married and live with my wife there.

I had grown up in Hong Kong, Indonesia and the Philippines,  in that order.
Spending the most year’s in the RP. After 11  year’s here,  I went back to the Philippines
to see about living there. Made another trip, met my future wife and went back to live permanantly.

I had decided to take “early retirement” from life in the U.S. Too hectic! LOL!
Unfortunately it didn’t work out. I got drunk and somehow we ended up back here.
Now I’m wearin’ a tie and back in the working world.

In my opinion, the problem with people in this country, my fellow American’s, is that too few of them are
actually ABLE to “intelligently scrutinize the problem area’s of this country”. Most, I believe get their fact’s from listening to friend’s, and watching T.V., or maybe a newspaper at most. They just don’t seem to have the ability to look at thing’s from all angles. Thank God there are still enough people in America who can  see thing’s objectively and rationally.

Next time I take early retirement at least I’ll have the money and know how to do it. I learned from
my mistakes before. However, with a daughter just finishing 10th grade , and furthering my skill’s in my profession, to make the right amount of money, it will be a while. So for now I wear the darn tie!

Someday, sooner rather then later, I’ll have that beautiful Nipa hut next to the beach in the Philippines. Until then I’m a workin’ for da man.Smiley

Jay

Dave H
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: "American Woman"  ..., posted by Jay on Mar 23, 2001

why not a "heard of pigs" tie like Jim's. You ought to see it! I've got my eye on it. I'd gladly trade my purple G-string for that tie. ;o))

Dave H.

Dave H
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to If you're have to wear a tie..., posted by Dave H on Mar 24, 2001

N/T
Zebson
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: "American Woman"  ..., posted by Jay on Mar 23, 2001

Jay, Same here on the working man gig....I've been to PI about 6 times so far. I did some work as an advisor with HFH in the lower Visayans back in 89' on my first trip, and I got hooked. That's an interesting parallel, about your PI ideas sounds quite similiar to my plans with regard to a nice simple Nipa hut next to the ocean, etc... My hope is to only spend another 10 years or so here and save up to enough to retire and hit PI, build a place for my fiance and I, start a small business and live simply. We have a lot of dreams and ideas on how we are going to do this, but of course only time will tell. Since I am from Southern California, I can relate and agree with you on the hectic craziness and fast paced life here that I have inherent problems with too. In the mean time, it's a good thing I found a nice little temporary place to live that is in the mountains and has a creek behind it. Only time will tell.

Zeb

Jay
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A Nipa hut by the ocean....., posted by Zebson on Mar 23, 2001

Hi Zeb,

Sorry to take so long to reply. Our dream’s are about the same. I’d say.
I’m hoping it will only take about 5 year’s, but who knows? We plan on buying a plot of land,
build a place, a NICE nipa hut (got to have a satellite dish and ham radio ), and have a small buisiness which will provide us a simple, yet comfortable lifestyle. The buisiness is imperitive to sucsesful retirement there. I learned that the last time! Smiley

Until then, we are moving to S. Florida in July. My wife and I visited my brother there last August
(her first trip, I lived there before) and she loved it. If I am going to have to be here in the U.S., I want to have a palm tree and beach nearby, at least! We live in Houston now and it’s flat and boring looking. Blah!
Nearest “beach” is Galveston, 40 miles away and it ain’t too purty. Downright nasty, if you ask me. The town is nice, just not the beach.

I’m glad that I at least KNOW OF a place that is cheap to retire to. Most people have never been anywhere and don’t really have a good place for retirement. I consider myself fortunate in that respect.

Good Luck on your dream’s, don’t be a stranger,

Jay

Dave H
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: "American Woman"  question..., posted by Jay on Mar 22, 2001

Jay,

I believe you. ;o))

I have always been a big Guess Who, Burton Cummings fan. I had heard several versions, as to the meaning of the song "American Woman" over the years. Tonight, I decide to put my curiosity to rest. I read that the words to "American Woman" were actually ad-libbed, according to Burton Cummings (singer). He was late onstage for a second show. The band began to play a riff. He made his way to the stage and began singing whatever came into his mind. He must have recalled a bad relationship with an AW. ;o) A fan had been bootlegging the concert. His tape was confiscated and they obtained the copy of their performance. When they put the final version onto vinyl, they added the terms "war machine" and "ghetto scene," having recently heard them and thinking that they sounded cool. I guess (who) it is a song that many people can find a personal meaning in. Especially here! ;o))

By the way, Randy Bachman was a leader (with Burton) of the Guess Who, before he formed BTO (Bachman-Turner Overdrive).

Dave H.

Dave H
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Sure Jay...  ;o), posted by Dave H on Mar 23, 2001

One of the versions that I had heard, was that "American Woman" was a reference to the Statue of Liberty. It has been 30 years since the song was written. Times have changed and memories fade. It is time for me to find an LP and see if their is any backmasking going on. !em morf yawa yats namow naciremA. X:o)

Dave H.

kevin
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Miss Liberty, posted by Dave H on Mar 23, 2001

This would be an excellent find on 8-track too.  Although it's early '70's, and I'm sure plenty of them were made, it's one of the earl '70's classics.  If you find one, and it doesn't work, it can be fixed.

- Kevin

Jay
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Sure Jay...  ;o), posted by Dave H on Mar 23, 2001

Hi Dave,

What do you mean by "sure Jay I believe you"? LOL! I'm curious.

Where did you read this? That's interesting about Randy Bachman. I did not know that.

"Takin' care of buisiness" Jay

Dave H
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Sure Jay...  ;o), posted by Jay on Mar 23, 2001

Hi Jay,

Just laughing at the "P.S. Don't flame me folks" at the end of your post. Funny...often people that leave the US for a time or come to the US as immigrants, have stronger feelings of patriotism, than those of us that have been here our whole lives. I guess we take things for granted. My Cuban-born (American citizen) ex-mother-in-law is a prime example. She is much more pro-American and patriotic than I am. Every year she makes me video tape the 4th of July fireworks, with patriotic songs playing in the background, on the CD player. Every year it is the same thing, but she never gets tired of it. Shocked)

I read it in an online copy of an interview with Burton Cummings, from the Toronto Sun newspaper. About Randy, I had already known that.

Dave H.

Zebson
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to ;o)), posted by Dave H on Mar 23, 2001

N/T
Jim H
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

It's the government I have a problem with.

Jim

Zebson
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to I love my Country!, posted by Jim H on Mar 23, 2001

It's friday..I'll drink to that statment.

Zeb

kevin
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Dave,  she can put you in a more patriotic spirit.  All she has to do is when you visit, she'll first serve tacos, refried beans, and plenty of tobasco sauce.  Then you can join in on the fireworks fun!!!  LOL.

- Kevin

Jay
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi Dave,

I see. Glad to see you got my point. I thought maybe one "hair pic" and my rep as a patriotic American may have gone out the window on this board! LOL! Though, I know YOU liked it.

I think Ray may still be puking and laughing into the trash can next to his desk over that! Smiley

Jay

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: