Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 25, 2024, 02:00:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the Philippines really safe to...........  (Read 73771 times)
deatchef
« on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

..........visit?
Why is it that all the hot, good girls are in the roughest places??
The below travel warning concerns me. What is the safest part of PI to go to?
Is Cebu relitively safe? Can i go out for a drink at night without a bullet proof vest on?
Veterans; advice please.. Thanks.

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
                                   Office of the Spokesman

This information is current as of today, Mon Dec 30 22:14:00 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) 2002.

PHILIPPINES

November 3, 2002

This supersedes the Public Announcement for the Philippines dated October 23, 2002. It has been updated to
include information on the potential for terrorist bombings during the holiday season as well as the regional
threat posed by Jemaah Islamiya and other transnational terrorist groups. It expires on January 10, 2003.

In view of a number of recent security-related incidents and the possibility of future terrorism, kidnappings, and
other violence or criminal activity, Americans traveling to or residing in the Philippines are urged to exercise
great caution and maintain a heightened security awareness. In the aftermath of the October 2002 terrorist
bombings in Bali, Indonesia, the State Department is concerned that similar attacks may occur in other
Southeast Asian nations, including the Philippines. Extremist groups present in Southeast Asia, such as
Jemaah Islamiya, have demonstrated transnational capabilities to carry out attacks against locations where
Westerners congregate. Terrorist groups do not distinguish between official and civilian targets.

The terrorist threat to Americans in the Philippines remains high. Information available to the United States
Government suggests terrorist groups may be planning bombing attacks in the Philippines from now through the
New Year holiday period. The U.S. Embassy urges all Americans to avoid crowds and crowded places,
including nightclubs and bars, particularly through the New Year holiday and to exercise special caution in public
places, such as cemeteries and shopping malls, or when using public transportation. Philippine authorities have
confirmed that they have put into place extra security measures during this period to deter possible terrorist
attacks and to protect the public, including resident and traveling foreigners. A number of bomb-related
incidents have recently occurred in the Metro Manila area. On October 18, 2002, an explosion on a bus killed
three and injured numerous others. Earlier that same day, a hand grenade exploded at a main intersection in
the Makati commercial area, and another unexploded grenade was found in the same vicinity. On October 16,
2002, a bomb was discovered and dismantled inside a passenger bus on the regular route from Manila to
Laguna Province.

On October 23, the United States Government designated the Jemaah Islamiya (JI) organization a Foreign
Terrorist Organization. JI is an extremist group with cells operating throughout Southeast Asia. JI members
recently arrested in the region have revealed links with al-Qaeda, other regional terrorist groups, and previous
terrorist attacks in the region.

The terrorist New People's Army (NPA), the military arm of the Communist Party of the Philippines, operates
throughout the Philippines and has recently issued public threats against U.S. citizens and interests in the
Philippines. In early 2002 an American tourist was shot and killed by an unidentified gunman on the slopes of
Mt. Pinatubo in Pampanga Province, an area known for NPA activity. Americans are warned to avoid hiking or
camping in this area, and are advised to exercise caution when traveling elsewhere in the Philippines due to
armed clashes between the NPA and government troops in some areas.

Several Filipinos and foreigners, including one American, have been kidnapped by extortionists or other kidnap
gangs operating in various parts of the Philippines. Family members of prominent local politicians and business
persons have also recently been kidnapped in the Metro Manila area.

The terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) has recently issued public threats against U.S. citizens and interests in
the Philippines. The ASG has taken hostage a number of Filipinos, Americans and foreign tourists since April
2000. Several were freed after substantial ransoms were paid, some escaped or were rescued by military
action, and some were killed. In 2002, one American hostage was killed and another injured during a rescue
operation after spending more than a year in captivity. Because the ASG has demonstrated its ability to travel
long distances by boat to kidnap foreigners, it is possible that other locations in the Philippines could be
attacked. Accordingly, Americans should defer travel to isolated beach resorts in the southern portion of the
Philippines.

U.S. citizens are warned to avoid all travel to the central, southern and western areas of Mindanao, including
Zamboanga City and General Santos City, due to incidents of kidnappings, bombings, and other violence and
criminal activity. U.S. citizens should also avoid travel to the islands of Basilan, Tawi-Tawi, and Jolo, located in
the Sulu archipelago in the extreme southwest of the Philippines.

During October 2002 at least 20 persons were killed, including one American soldier, and more than 100
persons were injured in various bombing attacks in Zamboanga City, Zamboanga Province, and in Kidapawan,
Cotabato Province. Other explosive devices have been discovered and defused prior to detonation in these
and other areas.

Americans residing in central, southern or western Mindanao and in the Sulu archipelago should carefully
review their security posture, take appropriate action to secure their well-being, and remain in close contact with
the U.S. Embassy for current information. As a precaution, the U.S. Government has restricted travel by official
personnel to these areas and has withdrawn resident official Americans and contractors from these areas.

U.S. citizens living in or visiting the Philippines are encouraged to register with the Consular Section of the U.S.
Embassy, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Manila City; tel. (63-2) 523-1001. For further general information
on travel to the Philippines, please consult the Department's latest Consular Information Sheet for the
Philippines and the Worldwide Caution dated October 10, 2002, which are available via the Internet at
http://travel.state.gov.

Department of State travel information and publications are available at Internet address:
. U.S. travelers may hear recorded information by calling the Department of State in
Washington, D.C. at 202-647-5225 from their touchtone telephone, or receive information by automated telefax
by dialing 202-647-3000 from their fax machine.

Ray
No
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Are the Philippines really safe to........., posted by deatchef on Dec 30, 2002

No place on this planet is 100% safe from terrorist attacks including the capitol and the largest city in the USA. Remember that we are at war and I’m afraid that it isn’t going to end anytime in the foreseeable future. I think everyone has to make their own decision whether to hide in fear in their homes or try to continue living their lives as best they can. To instill fear in all of us is exactly what the whacko Muslim terrorists want.

Personally, I don’t consider the current situation in the Philippines to be anywhere near bad enough to make me stay home. There have been threats against Americans in the Philippines from one group of a-holes or another for as long as I have been going there (since 1968). Take the government travel advisories seriously and be aware of your personal safety while traveling, but don’t let a bunch of punk-azz terrorists control your life. Life is too short.

And one more tip: forget about those hot-looking young chicks and find yourself an ugly one :-)

Just my $.02,

Ray

juio99
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to No, posted by Ray on Dec 31, 2002

Ray, I know what you mean by suggesting ugly girls may be better.  I presume you are referring to idea they make better wives, less demanding, more thankful for having husband, etc.  

I used to think that was logical, and still do think it sounds logical, but have seen evidence that it doesn't work in practice.  Haven't had personal experience, but have seen other guys, friends, etc, who have gone that route, with unexpected results.

That is to say, some very unattractive or even mostly ugly women have become very demanding and undesireable wives.  They seem to not understand that they have a once in a lifetime chance and blow it.

I would agree that the chances of longtime happiness are very slim if a guy goes for the number 9s and 10s, but don't settle for the 2s and 3s either.  Some of them can be just as much of a horror (in their subsequent actions) as the 10s.  Of course there are no guarantees with any woman (or man), but once that is understood, no need to go below the 5s and 6s.

JR

Ray
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ugly girls, posted by juio99 on Jan 13, 2003

Exactly!

Actually though, it's very difficult to find anything below a "5" or a "6" in the Philippines.

The big problem as I see it is with the guys that put 95% of the emphasis on looks and blow off the rest. I also recommend against sending and asking for photos right away when starting a correspondence. Try to get a feel for the true character before you have a photo to look at and fantasize about :-)

Ray

joemc
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Good post Abe,
           I would like to know what do mean by
         a ugly pinay. now be honest.  ha ha ha.

deatchef
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

"And one more tip: forget about those hot-looking young chicks and find yourself an ugly one :-)"

WHAT?Huh

Ray
Yep
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: No, posted by deatchef on Dec 31, 2002

The uglier the better!

But if you insist on going for the really good-looking Filipinas, you don’t have to travel all the way to the Philippines and risk having your head chopped off by the Abu Sayef. Some of the nicest looking Filipinas that I have seen are right here in San Diego, Ca. And many of them are available too. No need to spend all that money for plane fares, long-distance phone calls, visa processing fees, etc. because the women here already have their green cards (LOL)

Ray

Mita
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Are the Philippines really safe to........., posted by deatchef on Dec 30, 2002

Cebu is safe.  There are a lot of foreigners residing in Cebu and contemplating a move there.  I suggest you check out a yahoo group called "living in the the Philippines" You can get a lot of information from foreigners and locals already living in the Philippines.
My husband went to the Philippines a total of 6 times before we were married here in the US.  He never had any qualms about visiting.  He is actually excited about retiring to the Philippines in a few years' time.  He is also the one who insists we go home for a 2-month visit  in the spring.  My parents live in Bulacan, north of Metro Manila and our activities will be mainly in Metro Manila and my mother's home province of Zambales.
If you are planning to visit, we may just be there and will help you out on your first trip if you want.  No strings attached, no fees required....it's just a little help for a first time visitor to my country.  

deatchef
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Are the Philippines really safe to....., posted by Mita on Dec 31, 2002

Thanks Mita... When are you going? I can try to coordinate it so I'm there while you guys are.
I'll cook you a nice dinner while there.
(I'm a Personal Chef/ CIA Grad)
One of the things i'm most excited about is cruisin the streets for some different produce and meats etc....
I think i'de like to rent a house or small apt. Do you have any suggestions? I'm assuming that would be less expensive than a hotel; or am i wrong?
Thanks..
Mita
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Are the Philippines really safe ..., posted by deatchef on Dec 31, 2002

Oh boy!  You're a chef?!  My whole family loves cooking.  My mom was considered the best in the family and got our cousin interested.  He's now with the Monterey Yacht Club in CA.  His sister (hey, she IS single and very pretty) quit her job at Citibank to study cooking here in the US (don't know if it's the CIA) and now runs her own catering business in Metro Manila.
We plan to be in the Philippines sometime in March.  No definite dates  yet since we have so much to do before we leave for the long break.
I suggest you get a long-term apartment in Makati, Ortigas or Quezon City.  Check out asiatravel.com for studio apartment rates.  I like Discovery in Ortigas, it's centrally located and is within walking distance to the MRT.  Their kitchen is well-equipped too.  A private apartment is cheaper in the long-run but would be hard to find on a short-term visit.  Most would be unfurnished too.
I know some people who rent out their apartments but can't say for sure whether they are available in the spring.
donb2222
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Yes, I have been to the Phils 5 times, for a total of about 7 months spent there.  The funny thing is that you can tell people that you are going to NY or DC or Los Angeles, and no one will worry about your safety.  IMHO, you are much safer in the Phils than you are in many parts of the US.
I live in Atlanta, and there are many parts of Atlanta that I am afraid to go during the night, or even during the day.
Anyway, I have never, ever feared for my safety in the Phils, and I have spent much time in Cebu, Dumagute, Davao, Manila, Bohol, and Palawan.  Bad things can happen anywhere you go, but I feel safer in the Phils than I do here in the good ol' US of A.

Don

deatchef
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Yes..., posted by donb2222 on Dec 30, 2002

Not too many bombs found in public buses in NYC or Philly or Georgia lately... I would imagine that kidnappings are less common in any of these areas than the philippines as well.
Did you go out at night there? Did you go to a club or for a drink and feel just as safe (or unsafe) as if in any US city? Does everyone that has been there feel the way Don does?
donb2222
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Yes..., posted by deatchef on Dec 30, 2002

You are right about the bombs, but danger comes in many different forms.  I am a night owl, and there are many nights that i was walking alone at 3 or 4 in the morning.
Never, ever had a problem.
IMHO, the state department would have to issue travel warnings on many cities in the US, if they were to include the US in their reports.
I'm not saying that you will never be harmed in the Phils.
But, I have travelled to Cuba, Colombia, Mexico, and of course the Phils.  The only countries where I have felt unsafe are Mexico and the US.
Just be aware of your surroundings, and you will be okay almost any place you go.

Don

deatchef
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Yes..., posted by donb2222 on Dec 30, 2002

let's say i want to have a nice little vacation, but also have "sites" to see other than waterfalls and old churches?
Are there different culteral influences in different areas of PI?
Say (for eg:) more spanish-asian looking types in manila or more of a traditional pure asian look in southern PI etc...
Carr
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to what's a good city to start out in? , posted by deatchef on Dec 30, 2002

is the place if you want to look for Spanish mestizas. The women of Cebu are also pretty.  Manila girls are more westernized in clothes and manners but have the same values and traditions as her provincial sisters. The women of Luzon mostly have the Malay look.  And then there are the Chinese-Filipinos....

Anyway, good luck and widen out your search.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: