Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 19, 2024, 11:58:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-entry on extended green card  (Read 19232 times)
pamoshtnik
« on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

My wife was issued a green card with conditional status expiring in June this year but we filed the I-751 in plenty of time and were sent a letter extending the expiration to June of next year.  We are leaving for Europe soon and neither of us can locate this letter showing the extension.

Has anybody heard of or have any experience with re-entry into the U.S. when the green card shows and expired date?

It seems to me that the extended date would come up on thier computer terminal upon passing the green card through the reader but what would seem logical does not mean the government works that way.

Ray
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re-entry on extended green card, posted by pamoshtnik on Sep 2, 2005

That “letter” extending her Green Card is Form G-854. It’s one of those carbon-less mailers about 10x6 and looks like a piece of junk mail. It should be carried with her Green Card but if you can’t find it, I would make an InfoPass on-line appointment at your nearest CIS office. If she takes her valid passport, Green Card,  and the Receipt Number for the I-751 with her, they can stamp her passport for her to show that her I-551 has been extended.

Yes, you are correct that the Green Card extension will show in the computer when she clears immigration upon return to the States. However, she may have problems boarding the plane overseas if her Green Card is expired and she has no other proof of extension. The airline people don’t have access to the same computer files that immigration has at the POE.

My wife traveled overseas while her Green Card was on extension pending the I-751 approval and didn’t have any trouble returning with the expired card and the G-854.

Ray

pamoshtnik
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re-entry on extended green card, posted by Ray on Sep 2, 2005

Unfortunately I have been trying to get an appointment through the USCIS InfoPass system for almost one week and it always says there are no appointments available.  I called down there and left a message 4 days ago that was never returned regarding this and today we went there personally and were turned away.  I told them about the problem with InfoPass and the response was "we hear that often and that is no excuse", they refused to listen.

When we arrived back home I called to the USCIS central number and they blame it on hurricane Katrina.  Apparently I am missing something because I don't remember any service center or computer center residing in the affected area.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: