Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 20, 2024, 02:32:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Budapest to Yalta or bust  (Read 16938 times)
AllenB
« on: September 10, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Anybody have experience traveling from Budapest to Simferopol or more correctly, Yalta?

Malev airlines will take us to Odessa for about $750 and Aerosvit for $700.  We can get by much more cheaply by taking the train from Budapest to Odessa but then we would have to stay overnight in Odessa to get to Simferopol or Yalta.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Streetwise
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Budapest to Yalta or bust, posted by AllenB on Sep 10, 2005

I returned two weeks ago from Ukraine, and I took the train from Khmelnitsky to Budapest which took 18 hours (there are apparently some direct trains but I had to change trains at Chop on the border which was a couple of hours' connection.) So I imagine the train to Yalta would probably take the best part of two days, and I would imagine there would be at least one change. There is definitely direct services Budapest-Kiev (approx 18 hours) and Kiev-Yalta (probably same again) unless you already have another route in mind. If time is not critical, an overnight (preferably 24 hours)stop in Kiev or Odessa, depending on your route, should be welcomed. Even if you an sleep on the train, you will be itching for a shower after 18 hours believe me. Otherwise if you arrive in Yalta in the same shape that I was in when I reached Budapest, you will spend the first few days recovering from the trip. On the plus side, my 18 hour trip cost a total of $50 (I would have paid the extra for First Class if had been available, and would advise you to do likewise - see earlier post.) First Class would have been around $90, so expect $150 to Kiev, and o that basis I guess $100 for the next leg to Yalta, so plan on $500 round trip for two. Even with an overnight in Odessa you should save around $900 against air travel at those prices, which will buy a few bottles of Ukrainian bubbly in Yalta, but it will cost you 4-5 days travelling in total. My impression of Ukrainian rail travel is that you can get anywhere for next to nothing, if you have all the time in the world to do it.
Beattledog
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Budapest to Yalta or bust, posted by Streetwise on Sep 10, 2005

First class sounds like the best way to travel

beattledog

Charles
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Budapest to Yalta or bust, posted by AllenB on Sep 10, 2005

Unless you have to go through Odessa, you may be better off flying from Budapest to Kyiv and then getting a connecting flight to Simferopol.  Otherwise, you're in for a very long train ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: