Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 17, 2024, 04:23:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little update  (Read 14711 times)
Philb
« on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

The Ukrainian woman I have been seeing for the past year or so, just got through spending 3 weeks here visiting me.  This was her first trip to the US.  She was issued a five year multiple entry visa.

It was a good visit.  She was able to meet some of my friends, see where I live, meet some of my family, and just get a bit of a feel for life here.

I have visited her in Kiev a total of 4 times and the two of us have traveled extensively together. I will be headed to Kiev again in November.  From Kiev we will be driving to southern Germany for a couple of weeks.

The two of us are getting married this February.  Now I am sure my next statement will get a few coments.  We will be getting married in Kiev and will be going the DCF route.  

The next few months look to be quite busy with wedding preparations etc..  We are currently petitioning the Orthodox Church to allow us to get married in a church (I am not Orthodox).  Alla, bought her dress while here.  They are much more expensive in Kiev.  Since her return home she has already started making arrangements for the reception.  

Several of my friends and family members are planning on attending the wedding.  For my 73 year old mother it will be her first trip outside of the US.  It ought to be interesting.  My 21 year old son likes the idea of our wedding taking place in Kiev.  He gets a paid airline ticket and plans on bumming around Europe for a month or two after the wedding.

Now we need to figure out where we will live.  Most likely we will end up in Wyoming, at least for a while. Although, I am pursuing a job option in Germany (3 year contract position with possibility for renewal).  Alla, likes this possibility since she speaks fluent German (in addition to English, Spanish, Ukranian, and Russian) and has some business connections there.  

It has been a bit of a long process for me.  My first trip to the FSU was in the summer of 2001.  I have traveled there a total of 12 times (I think).  I have always pretty much done my own thing, no agencies, tours, or buying addresses.  Usually when I went to Russia or Ukraine it was to see just one woman and if this didn't work out just have a vacation.  I met a lot of great people and learned much during my travels.

BarryM
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to A little update, posted by Philb on Sep 19, 2005

The Orthodox Church does recognize some protestant Baptisms. The big requirement is that you are baptized by water in the name of the Holy Trinity. A Baptismal document helps.

I strongly suggest you consider converting to the Orthodox Church. It's an eye-opening experience. The Orthodox Church has a rich history that shows you Christianity in its true purpose and how it developed from the Apostles.

-blm

Cold Warrior
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to The Pettition, posted by BarryM on Sep 20, 2005

AS a Protestant I believe that Baptism is symbolic as a measure of being buried with Christ and raised unto a new life, that's why we practice full body water baptism. Baptism however is not a requirement for salvation, for by faith we are saved and not by works less any man should boast.
Philb
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: The Pettition, posted by Cold Warrior on Sep 29, 2005

Lutherans and,I believe Anglicans, see baptism as more than a symbol.  We would call baptism a means of grace.  We would agree that you can be saved without baptism.  We would also never refer to baptism as a work (at least not a work of man).  We would call it God's work on us where by he brings us to faith.

A little off topic I suppose, but I thought a little clarification was in order. ;-)

Philb
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to The Pettition, posted by BarryM on Sep 20, 2005

Thanks Barry, I figured you would know a few things about this.  As a Lutheran, my baptism is certainly Trinitarian ao hopefully this will not be a problem.  

Another area they seem to be concerned about is children and what church they will be baptized in.  Even though we do not plan on having children (I am 46 and she 42).

Zink2
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to A little update, posted by Philb on Sep 19, 2005

Hi Philb. Maybe you remember me from when I used to post more often as Zink. New computer, slightly new handle. I'm looking for visa info for a Russian to get into the states. My wife and I want to travel in the US but she can't without a visa. My wife's been in Canada for about 6 months. We live just north of the Montana border and I quite often do business in the US. I'd made a special trip to talk to the customs agents about what was necessary for my wife to travel into the US a couple of months ago. Lady working there said that all she needed was her international passport, record of landing and permanent resident card.

We wanted to go buy some materials in the nearest town stateside. Got to the border and when that same lady started checking us through she found out that the laws have changed and Canadian permanent residents aren't allowed across the border anymore. Both of the customs people we dealt with were very nice and apologetic. But they had to follow the book. My wife was charged with trying to illegally enter the US but voluntarilly withdrawing. She was fingerprinted and photographed and added to the system. I was warned that if she tried to enter the US again without a visa we would be arrested and our vehicle confisticated. The lady who had advised me wrongly had to work hard to learn how to add my wife to the system without having a criminal tag or alert attached to her file. She had to call her superior and get help going through the system to do this without ruining our reputations. Luckily we think she succeeded. This all took about 2 hours. Luckily Grandma was with us and was able to babysit our son in the truck while we were in the office.

This happened in the spring and over the summer we've been trying to learn what visa's are available and how to apply for them. The US consulate website doesn't have in depth info and wants me to call them at a cost of $3 a minute to be put on hold and not get any answers. My wife is back in Vladivostok visiting her mother and went to the US consulate there. They told her that she had no chance of getting a tourist visa. And the only way should could get a visa was if she was invited for a very specific reason(wedding, funeral, etc.). So I was curious how your lady got her visa?

stefang
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: A little update, posted by Zink2 on Sep 20, 2005

Holy chit they will arrest her and confiscate your car. Now why aren't they this strict with the Mexican border? No wonder  Canadiens don't want to visit the US if the laws are going to be this crazy. This happened after a government employee told you it was okay.
LP
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

...I'll keep it short. Glad to see everything is working out. If anyone deserves it it's you. Stick around, I for one missed your insightful take on things.
Philb
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Zinkman...., posted by LP on Sep 21, 2005

Thanks for the Devil's Tower suggestion.  ;-)
LP
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to By the way...., posted by Philb on Sep 25, 2005

...how when it comes to MOB the devil is in the details. I bet she'll be impressed too, I've had a few close encounters of the low altitude kind with the place and it's always gotten my attention Wink

Good luck to you both...

Zink2
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Zinkman...., posted by LP on Sep 21, 2005

Thanks LP. I'm kind of surprised you're still here. Seems to me you were leaving about the time I quit reading last fall. I don't have much time for posting anymore. And my wife likes her privacy so I won't be giving out too many personal details. Plus if she was here now I'd have better things to do!

But for a quick update... Everything between me and the missus is great. Life around us gets screwed up at times. But I'm used to that. We had a baby boy born in Vladivostok. We delayed her immigration until after he was born. I lived over there for 7 months total after we were married and she's lived here for 7 months. So half of our married life we were 5,000 miles apart. Not much fun. But I lucked out with my wife. Brave, calm, tough lady. Perfect match for me personality wise. Gave up everything she knew and trusted me enough to come and live on a run down ranch in the middle of nowhere. The real test is she's coming back after seeing what my life really is. Never lied to her but seeing is understanding. My family loves her and she protects me from them. They don't act half as goofy when she's around. Wouldn't want to make a bad impression(lol).

One of my opinions has changed. I used to be in it for the adventure as much as actually finding a wife. I treated the ladies seriously but never really prepared for success. Finding a good woman really is the simplest part of it all. The immigration proccess is a huge pain. I don't think I'd recommend going over seas for a wife to anybody now. Don't have to be rich to do this but it certainly would've helped. So far things couldn't have gone much better for us. But to go through all of this on a whim or be tricked along the way... I've seen it happen now. And not always to sterotypical MOB losers. People can be stupid when it comes to relationships, even smart people. And even if you do everything right it doesn't guarantee longterm success. Nice to see some useful advice in the newbie 101 thread below. And nice to see a few of the old timers I like still around even if not much.

Anyhow, enough rambling. Take care of yourself, LP. And don't torment too many people. You give good advice on occasion but it seems that you still have your trail of vocal opponents.

LP
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Zinkman...., posted by Zink2 on Sep 22, 2005

...Yeah, I was gonna leave a while back but my public demanded I stay. Go figure. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it. As for my vocal opponents, many are just the stereotypical losers you mentioned. Me thinks it's simply envy. Frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way Wink

I knew you'd do alright. Guys who aren't on a mission usually do. Like you I always treated it this as an adventure and if a good one turned up I'd change directions. I'm glad to hear it's working out for you and it sounds like you found one of those good ones. To be honest I too was concerned what would transpire once she had a taste of the life you lead but it seems those fears were unfounded.

Anyway, good luck and try to stop in once in a while and let us know how it's going. Can't promise I'll still be here but I'm sure others would be interested.

Zink2
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Good luck..., posted by LP on Sep 23, 2005

Ya, well. Because of Canadian immigration laws we went about things ass backwards. First get married, which led quickly to our son and then much later she got to meet the family and see my reality. We don't have fiance visas after 9/11. So no trial periods in Canada. Just full speed ahead and hope she can handle it. I did find one of the good ones. I am in RW's debt. Her mother knows my mother-in-law and wife and they arranged for me to get to know her. I agree 100% with the advice of staying away from agencies as much as possible and try to meet "real" people. But it's easier to let the agencies to the footwork.

Itlooks like time for me to fade off again. Work calls and I don't have the stomach to read much of the feuds like what's going on Between Dan and Mark. I liked both of them, even like you(lol) and don't like to see people that I think are basically decent act like a-holes. Sometimes I agree it's necessary but not everytime the other guy posts. Too much of that here lately and not enough objective, helpful advice.

Philb
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Zink it is good to hear from you.

What Ray says is pretty much my understanding.  Contrary to what everyone says it is not impossible for a Russian or Ukrainian woman to be issued a visa.  

Alla, did have a few things working in her favor.  She has traveled throughout Western Europe,  has ties to Ukraine (business, job, property and family).

I wonder why the Consulate in Vladivostok told your wife it would be impossible?

Aproximately 75% of all non immigrant Visa apps processed at the Consulate in Kiev are approved.  Now this number IS deceiving.  Of this 75% about half are from businesses, which are virtually 100% approved.  So for the rest of the visa apps you are dealing with an aprox 58% approval rate.  I supposed you could even knock this number down further by subtracting a few other categories of applicants that are also virtually approved 100% of the time (exchange students, etc.).  Even then it is not impossible.

Zink2
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Tourist Visas, posted by Philb on Sep 20, 2005

It's amazing the misinformation that gets told even from official sources. Canadian customs told me that american landed immigrants can travel to Canada no hassle. And yet an aquaintance of my in-laws lives in California, married a Canadian working there and was denied entry into Canada to visit his relations. Don't know what to believe.

As for my wife, She owns property in Vladivostok, is a legal immigrant to Canada, married with a child and soon will have legal title to property in Canada. She's also travelled throughout Europe. You'd think that would be enough. I have to wait another month for her to come back and then we'll start working on getting her a visa. I have lots of relatives stateside and it's cheaper to travel there than overseas.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: