Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 16, 2024, 10:15:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meeting ladies on the street vs agencies  (Read 27226 times)
anono
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: LP - could not have said it better m..., posted by LP on Jan 7, 2005

i typed up the following before reading these more recent posts. i'm OK with you for now lp, based on what you've posted since i've been here last. i also asked rostick about you. seems we have similar approach to this. i could see myself making the same spring trip you mention. just back off on personal attacks and i have no problem with anyone, however the difference in opinion.

on posting and learning russian

i post to respond to others and if i can possibly help others, that’s a bonus. i sometimes make light of something or poke fun at myself or others if it helps make the reading enjoyable. when i said i “hoped” ‘nema noge pongiski’ meant ‘speak a little english’ it was supposed to be a joke. i also want to say i know more than two words of russian. i know at least TWICE that!

when i read other peoples posts, i realize i do not know their circumstances. i do not know the six times some guy traveled to ukraine, it was to see (mostly) two english speaking ladies. maybe the guy has a hearing loss making it difficult not only to understand russian but his own language.  maybe the guy isn’t lucky enough to have the “language gene” some people seem to have, just like some people suffer from a math deficit. or spelling. or grammar.

criticizing others who have not had the time or burning desire necessary to learn russian because of the time and effort we make in going to russia is like me as a pilot criticizing those who spend so much time driving cars for not becoming pilots because then they can get places faster than others.

i think it’s great some people can learn other languages. some people can do it easier than others for many reasons.

i’m not going to criticize people for not becoming a pilot.

i do not care about my spelling, i do not need to list my accomplishments. (second best speller in my class). i sometimes have difficulty reading my own work. i recognize my style when it comes to posts and it can be difficult to read. all are spontaneous and free flowing. while some forms and patterns of spellings errors can be an indicator of intelligence, i think it is easy to know the difference.  i take issue with one opinions and thoughts before i do his spelling and grammar. i would also consider the circumstances. is he or she applying as a proofreader at a publishing house or is it a post on some bulletin board inhabited by trolls? only those without a legitimate argument change the argument by attacking such unimportant and very peripheral things such as spelling and grammar.

i am no longer going to respond to those who have nothing to offer other than criticizing those they do not know. i am not going to become involved in their insecurities. i do not have to attack others in order to feel good about myself or superior to others. i already know :-)

posted without the help of spell-check

LP
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: LP - could not have said it bett..., posted by anono on Jan 10, 2005

....I also could give a rodent's rectum about your spelling or grammar because I make mistakes too. My point was you infered in an earlier post you had to practice two words of Russian and two very simple words at that. It implied you didn't speak much more and therefore had nothing to do with your spelling. As for feeling good about yourself, well, I've never met someone who had to make such a statement unless he didn't. Guess I'm wrong again. Ah well, it wouldn't be the first time.

Btw, I also wouldn't criticize anyone for not becoming a pilot. I wouldn't even recommend it in the first place. There are some really screwed up professional aviators out there and if I were you I'd be afraid everytime I went near an airliner (I know I am). The only people with bigger egos than pilots are bouncers (not the nightclub type). Say, you were a bouncer right?

It just worked out to be my third career because I bore easily and was too stupid to learn anything else. I won't go listing other accomplishments because it would show a lack of pride and confidence in myself. (By definition that's called self-esteem and people who have it usually do list accomplishments. Ask any shrink). Oh and depending on what one does for a living things like such spelling and grammar are far from unimportant and peripheral. Or it could simply be pride and confidence at work again. Btw, unlike "self-esteem" there is no hyphen in "spell check". In fact it's a verb, I think you should have used "spell checker" but I could be wrong. (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

Seriously, no harm intended. I'm jist yankin yer chain (bad speeling there eh)? It's just the way I am. I'm not a real prick, I only play one on the internet. Besides, you already possess the thick skin, lofy self-esteem, unflappable ego, and rock solid confidence of the typical MOB adventurer right? Plus you're also bright enough not to respond to people who criticize you Wink

Bobby Orr
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Meeting ladies on the street vs agencies, posted by Albert on Jan 5, 2005

For the average guy going over for the first time - I would recommend that he seeks the help of an agency / translator at the very minimum.  For the average guy going over for less than three times to the same city - I think he needs agency help / translator help etc.  If the guy has experience, fortitude, persistence and the ability to communicate in Russian the chance of him needing an agency is minimal.  Most people do not have the time, money and fortitude to waste over there.  So, they need to do their homework and preparation prior to going by either picking a quality agency, guide / translator and or advertising / letter writing as well.  My advice always for the first time guy is to go over, get their feet wet with the help of a quality agency and then take it from there for their subsequent trips, since it seems so many guys never have the guts to just "do it."
Dan
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Meeting ladies on the street vs agencies, posted by Albert on Jan 5, 2005

Of course, no-one knows for sure because no-one knows the statistics for the percentage of the female population in the FSU that is listed with an agency - BUT - my subjective opinion on the matter is that *at most* the percentage of FSU ladies listed with an agency is in the single digit range (that is - less than 10%). In fact, it may be less than 1 % of the total population.

If you care to parse it further, my guess would be that of the marriage-aged women in the FSU (say, 18 - 45), there is STILL less than 10 % of the total female population of that sub-group who are registered with an agency.

My point is (obviously), that MOST of the women you meet while being in-country and not pre-arranged, are going to be women that are not connected with an agency in any way.

But as I said - no-one knows for sure, so this is merely a matter of one opinion versus another.

FWIW

- Dan

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: