Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 16, 2024, 11:12:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aerosvit  (Read 9061 times)
ARTILLARY
« on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi again. Just for kicks, I was thinking of trying a new flight to Kiev. Has anyone ever used the Aerosvit flight JFK to KBP? How did you like it? Was the service good? How is the seat space? Do the show movies? It arrives at 12pm which is better than the usual 2pm or 3pm in Kiev. The downside, I don't receive frequent flyer miles with my usual carrier.
LP
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Aerosvit, posted by ARTILLARY on Jan 11, 2005

Well, since most are comparing apples to oranges I'll give you my two cents. AeroSvit (Ukrainian Airlines) is a fairly new carrier and overall is better than Aeroflop in my opinion. Decent route structure using the B737 within Eastern Europe, Moscow, Greece, Cyprus, Tel Aviv, Sweden, a few other places, as well as within Ukraine, although since they code share with others you may end up on TU 134/154 junkers from Donbass, South, or ARP 410 (Aircraft Repair Plant #410) Airlines while in Ukraine. Last I checked you can book with AeroSvit online, at least for flights within Ukraine. You may be able to book the JFK run online too but I'm not sure because I've never done it that way.

That flight has been running for about two or three years now (they also have a flight out of Toronto). It used to be twice a week but it may be more these days. Equipment is the B767ER (whereas Aeroflop uses stripped down triple sevens on that over the pole run from SEA). As a foreign carrier operating into the US AeroSvit meets the same standards for crew training, maintenance, and security must all international carriers. For example they employ ETOPS procedures, something that matters from a safety standpoint but adds a bit to the flight time.

Food is typical. It won't win any awards but neither will you starve. On time performance is OK. (It's not fair to blame any carrier for depature delays these days, especially out of JFK). It's about 9 plus 45 to Borispol (call it 10 hours) using ETOPS. Movies? Yes, but normally in Russian. Translation (somewhat bad at times) is available on a second audio channel. The last two times I flew the flicks were of US and Russian origins. The FAs are cute enough (at least the female ones), way better than the...nah, I'd better not.

If you're connecting be careful with baggage. I recommend you not allow the departure agent to book your bags all the way through to Kyiv. Better to pick them up and recheck after humping them over to terminal 4. If you don't and they don't make it (and they likely won't) Aerosvit is pretty good at getting them to you but it'll take at least two days. Works out OK if you stay in Kyiv, not so OK if you don't.

The flight is usually fully booked. Lol, in fact now that I think about it I recommend you avoid this flight altogether so you won't be stealing seats some poor non-rev might need.

tbirdjoy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

My wife flew to Simferopol(Crimea) from LAX-JFK-KBP-SIP all on areosvit except the LAX-JFK leg last April and enjoyed it.  It is the only airline with good connections that allow her to travel to and from Simferopol on the same day without any layovers.  She said the service was good and she's going back again on Aerosvit this spring for her annual visit.  I've flown Aerosvit domestically (within UKR) and I never had any problems with them.

Mark

thunderbolt
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I have used Aeroflot a lot, which I would think is similar to Aerosvit, and really liked it.  Lots of legroom, great service, but the minus is that they don't partner on frequent flyer miles with anybody Sad  Even Cubana Aviacion partners!
WillMc
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Aerosvit, posted by thunderbolt on Jan 12, 2005

I fly to Moscow frequently.  I usually flew British Airways, I have friends in England and can stop over in London for no additional charge.  BA has stopped flying to SVO.  They fly to DME instead, which I find less convenient.

Last Month I flew Aeroflot.  It was a bargain but I got what I paid for.  The movies were truncated 3/4 of the way thru.  I never saw an ending.  The food was terrible.  The cabin crew surly.  A women with a small child was sitting 2 seats in front of me.  The child spilled his drink into his seat.  The lady summoned the flight attendent for assistance.  He came to the seat looked at the mess and shook his finger and said, "tsk, tsk!"  Theen he walked away.

At that moment I knew I was not on "The World's Favourite Airline."

thunderbolt
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Aerosvit, posted by WillMc on Jan 13, 2005

I have also flown Air France and Continental to Europe, and the food was awful in comparison to Aeroflot.  It had great leg room, I did not have to sit surrounded by several French guys who have not heard of a deodorant - and that's worth a lot in my book. Besides, Aeroflot is a lot cheaper.

DME is a lot nicer airport; SVO is simply ridiculous as the main international airport for a country of such magnitude.

TwoBitBandit
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Aerosvit, posted by WillMc on Jan 13, 2005

I agree 100% about Aeroflot.  I have flown them  because they have direct flights to Moscow from the west coast (Seattle and LA)...but what an awful flight experience.

The thing that drives me the most nuts is how stingy they are with the alcohol.  They give you one drink shortly after takeoff time and nothing more.   I'm going to get myself into trouble sterotyping...but this is a RUSSIAN flight after all...they should be passing out wine like it's water!  Smiley

Sunny
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Aeroflot, posted by TwoBitBandit on Jan 13, 2005

Here's another point of view.  The primary function of an airline is to fly you safely to your destination.  It's great if they can keep you wined, dined and entertained but not absolutely necessary.  For many of us, the only affordable way to send our families back home for a visit is to fly Aeroflot.  God bless them for their inexpensive, non-stop service from Los Angeles to Moscow!
WillMc
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Aeroflot, posted by Sunny on Jan 13, 2005

I agree.  My flight with Aeroflot was good value.
I have been very lucky that in my job as a consultant I accumulated a lot of frequent flyer miles and therefore had some economical choices.
As I said, I like the free stop over in London and I can't resist the scones, clotted cream and jam on BA.  Too bad they now use DME instead of SVO.
If you must pay hard earned $'s and need to get to Russia, Aeroflot is the best deal I could find.  
Just do not expect to watch a movie to it's conclusion and carry on your own food and drinks and maybe a towel or two.
T P Cornholio
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Yes, we used Aerosvit last July.  It's about the same as any other airline, but with mostly Russian/Ukrainian cattle.  As I recall, the plane was a bit older and still had the larger overhead bins.
Frank O
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I"d be interested too. I also ALWAYS arrive at 2:00PM which is a bummer. If I could arrive earlier that would be great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: