Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 28, 2024, 04:22:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Expired Russian International passport renewal  (Read 54561 times)
Peter Ryan
« on: November 30, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Are there any armchair Babushkas out on the street who can offer some advice on passport renewal for my wife. Nobody ever warned me about this huge bureaucratic hill! We have tried calling the DC Russian Embassy but cannot get through. Is there a special phone number that anyone knows about that works? For those who are not aware of the long drawn out process and I hope I am wrong but it seems to be as follows:
Firstly, go to the county office of marriage with 2 checks - One for them and one for the Secretary of (that) State's office where they will produce an Apostille of your marriage certificate for you. Get it translated and then notarized. Travel over to Russia and have the domestic passport changed to show the new married name. Note the domestic passport is supposed to be done in person because the holder must be present and sign receipt of it from the local police department. Also note that the International passport cannot be changed without first changing the domestic one. After this she must come back to the USA and renew her international passport as renewing it in Russia takes several months. When it is renewed you have to include a copy of her green card with the new name so as I see it they will not let you renew it with her old last name. Is that correct? Also, is it possible that my wife can travel back to Russia on an expired passport?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Peter
RW
??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Expired Russian International passport r..., posted by Peter Ryan on Nov 30, 2004

well, I obtained a new passport without any hassle you described. Called Russian consulate in Seattle, they had described all the requirements. One note though - I did not change my last name in Russian passport as I did not want any hassle with marriage certificate. And I also did not cancel my russian address of residence (propiska), so that I don't have to be reassigned to the Russian consulate. So to sum it up - I have my russian passport in my Russian name and all of my American documents in my married name.

Filled out all the forms they gave me (that probably the worst part, but everybody was very helpfull and I filled them right there so I don't make mistakes), paid by personal check. In three months they called me to come to pick it up or have option of them mailing it to me. That was it.....

Peter Ryan
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to ??, posted by RW on Dec 1, 2004

According to the DC embassy to do this you have to submit your application 8 months before it expires. We are at 5 months. How long ago did you do this?
Thanks
Peter
RW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: ??, posted by Peter Ryan on Dec 1, 2004

I did it in June, three weeks before my passport expired. There is all information on website
www.russianembassy.org
Your wife can read it in russian section "passport"

Never heard about 8 months....

Stevo
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Expired Russian International passport r..., posted by Peter Ryan on Nov 30, 2004

she will need a travel letter or stamp from the Russian embassy first allowing her to do so.  Then she can get her passport renewed in Russia (pay a bribe and get it done quicker).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: