Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 20, 2024, 03:23:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More on e-mail with handhelds  (Read 7377 times)
Albert
« on: December 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post.
I have checked out all of the suggestions.
All of the alternatives suggested were either:
1) Too costly
2) To complicated for me . . . . if more than one piece of equipment  was involved or some software had to be downloaded or added . . . then it is too complicated for me.  Sorry to be such a disappointment to the techies here.
3) Require use of wireless which would involve double costs considering  (a) phone charges and (2) ISP charges.

Let me tell you of one device which, although it doesn't fit the bill, may give some of you some fresh thoughts about what might work.

This device is called a Pocketmail Composer, costs $99 for the unit, and is described at:

http://www.pocketmail.com/us/products/composer/

This device only works when you dial into the service of the selling company.  If I were traveling in USA and Canada, this would fit the bill since they provide 800 numbers.  But, for travel to other countries, only a toll number back to USA is provided which, of course, would eat me alive with phone charges.

So what I want in a unit something like this . . . . . but with the capability to hook into a landline and dial into local ISPs to gain Internet access to check my e-mail on yahoo, hotmail, juno, etc.

As you all know, you can get a fairly loaded desktop with monitor and even a printer thown in now for around $300, so I gag at anything approaching this cost for a simple machine to access e-mail only.

I appreciate all previous attempts, and hope that somebody is holding the secret.

Travis
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to More on e-mail with handhelds, posted by Albert on Dec 9, 2004

You may want to contact T-Mobile. I use their service in the states with a Pocket-PC. It's essentially a handheld PDA/cell phone. It appears T-Mobile has some sort of relationship with MTS in Russia and Ukraine and they do offer GPRS, which is the service used to connect to the Internet from your phone (approx. 56k). The phone has to be capable of browsing web pages and support GPRS, so you would be limited on the number of models available. I don't know the cost there. If you look at T-Mobile's web page, at the bottom is a link for Russia, you can start there.

http://www.t-mobile.com/

FYI, These are very easy to use.

gator70
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Possible option for email on a handheld, posted by Travis on Dec 9, 2004

[This message has been edited by gator70]

I tried this with the t-mobile/ cingular relationship and they have no data services. However voice works well all throughout Europe and the FSU. I was not able to get email in countries without data or GPRS services.
Travis
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Possible option for email on a handh..., posted by gator70 on Dec 10, 2004

What I read was T-Mobile did offer this service via their relationship with MTS...I didn't look into anything regarding Cingular. Though I don't know what their footprint is outside of Moscow...Albert would need to contact them to find out that. This is their cell coverage in Ukraine in the Kiev area but I don't know if it is also their GPRS coverage:

http://www.mtsgsm.com/coverage/mts/ukraine/M-3613/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: