Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 23, 2024, 02:33:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Games to play with RW/UW  (Read 6734 times)
Albert
« on: December 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

What suggestions do you have for games we can take over to play with these gals during some idle periods?  I have taken cards and played blackjack and rummy with them,  but these two card games get boring fairly fast.  Are there other card games that are appropriate and fun for two people?

And aside from card games, what other games and board games are there?   I looked at many and rejected them because they mostly required knowledge of English spelling, English grammar, movies and TV shows from USA, etc.

What games are there that have a world wide applicability regardless of nationality, language skills, etc.?  Also, the games could not be bulky in terms of what I had to carry with me on the plane.

Thanks

doombug
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Games to play with RW/UW, posted by Albert on Dec 18, 2004

Monopoly comes in numerous languages and is distributed worldwide.  And, yes, this includes a Russian version:

"Q: What languages/countries are represented by specific MONOPOLY games?
A: The MONOPOLY game is licensed in more than 45 countries and the list continues to grow. The 26 languages in which the game is printed included Italian, Indian, Arabic, Portuguese, Croatian, Czech, Icelandic and RUSSIAN."

Found at Hasbro's site, on this page:  http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/pl/page.faq/dn/default.cfm

And the card game "Uno" is very fun and simple.  I bought a deck and played with my wife, her daughter, and their nanny in Peru.  Neither of them speaks English, however no more than 3 or 4 English phrases are  involved in the game.  It's described here:  http://thehouseofcards.com/retail/uno.html

And though I've never played it, "Jenga" was (and maybe still is) very popular--and very simple.  The maker's website, and a description:  http://www.hasbro.com/jenga/

Too bad she doesn't know English (fluently).  "Balderdash" is the funnest, funniest, and best game I've ever played.

Jack
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

I agree with Nobby, "Meeting a UW/RW for marriage does not have to be a job interview. Part if it should be fun."

One of my favorite games, which required very little English, was spin the bottle. And if you play strip poker with a deck of Russian cards make sure not to get the Jack and King confused.

Frank O
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Games to play with RW/UW, posted by Jack on Dec 20, 2004

or should that be strip poke her?!
Gman
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Othello
Zoidberg
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Let me just say it amazes me when I read some of the answers to simple questions. People just like to jump to conclusions so much. Meeting a UW/RW for marriage does not have to be a job interview. Part if it should be fun. If games is your thing by all means play some games.

My wife and I spent about 6 months writing and talking before meeting. We then spent almost a month together the first time and I went 2 more times after that before bringing her back. Before I got there she bought a video game for really cheap. Basically it was the same games as the first Nintendo system back in the 80's. I'm not a big video junky but we played some evenings and it was fun. Now that we are married I picked up a cheap Nintendo 64 on EBAY and we play about an hour a few times a week. Of course even in Ukraine we did plenty of talking about serious things but sometimes we felt like playing. Especially when I went in the winter. Smiley

I think for board games chess, checkers and backgammon might be fun and easy to carry.

I also feel that playing games you can learn plenty about a person. Some people don't know how to have fun or might think fun is something else. It is a good thing to see how the other plays. If one person is really serious about life and the other wants to play all the time than that might be a problem as well. Sometimes you learn more about a person doing things then to just talk about it.

Nobby

jamesss
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

many Russians like Backgammon. And she'd probably love it if you learned a Russian card game called Durak ("Fool") It's not hard to learn and play. And they play it everywhere.
wsbill
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by wsbill]

LP, is so right (his post below).

I'm surprised some of you guys that are married don't put together a real check list of what to go over.  And maybe create a free website where a guy and his girl can visit and also have it in russia for her to completely understand.

Alot of guys go into this marriage thing totally blind.  Myself included, but, I am atleast reading what you guys have to say.

But, a real man vs wife check list is a real must.  Because, if she ain't ain't got questions, then she's not really all there either.

You could be just fooling yourself in to thinking your getting married and really look like a fool when it doesn't work out.

Just make sure you get a pre-nup (in English and Russian) and she understands where your coming from with it.

thunderbolt
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

try chess
LP
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

...Where is the world are you finding idle time for playing games?

There are so many more important things that could and should be accomplished while with a girl. Try teaching each other some language or discussing issues that will effect a possible marriage. Communication and understanding cultural differences and each other as individuals should be a top priority. Geez, when you're considering marriage to an individual with whom you can't communicate very well you have much bigger things to worry about than playing games. At least the kind you're talking about.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: