Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 01:42:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Language Translation  (Read 5176 times)
ARTILLARY
« on: November 20, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

I'm  looking for software or a cd that a friend of mine can install on his home pc that will translate english to russian and russian to english. Nothing fancy, just something simple and inexpensive. Any ideas out there. Artie
RfB
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Language Translation, posted by ARTILLARY on Nov 20, 2004

There is no such thing as a cheap high quality language translator. If you buy one that is cheap, that is exactly what you get. The first one I bought was marketed as 'The Best Translator' on the market made by Universal Translator. Easily upgraded to be even better for just an additional $100. For the price of $80 that I paid for it, I got absolutly beautiful looking Russian letters from my English original. When I showed it to ladies to see how it really was, they said it was just a bunch meaningless words put together in a sentence. Totally useless! I bit the bullet and bought Promt for $400. My wife still uses 3+ years later to help with understanding of words. Their website worked as well, but there was a word limit that was a  pain, but it was free.
ARTILLARY
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Language Translation, posted by RfB on Nov 21, 2004

Thanks for the information. I have never had to use one of these programs and didn't know where to look so I told my buddy I'd ask here. Looks like you get what you pay for. I also checked the archives for other posts about this. After all, with all the rain this weekend I had pkenty of time, but a whole weekend wouldn't be enough to look at all the archives. It'd be nice if they were seperated into catagories but I imagine that would take a half lifetime to do. I was once again coming to the source of experience by visiting here. Thanks for the responses. Artie
RickM
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

language translation discs or companies that specialize in making "handheld electronic translators"...
***You'd be surprized how the distributors bargain with you when you ask for discounts...Most have toll free #'s...
LP
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by LP]

...Here's a couple of websites:

http://translation2.paralink.com/

http://www.online-translator.com/

Both are powered by Promt:

http://www.e-promt.com/

Many people badmouth Promt because they use it bare bones but the truth is if you install the optional dictionaries and take the time to "teach" it, it's capable of near flawless translation. Plus it has decent text to speech capabilities in both directions.

Frankly, your friend would be better served by an attempt at learning the lingo. Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone is an OK start. Finally, moral and legal issues aside, I have one word for you: BitTorrent. Nuff said...

UnitedNut
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Not sure about software on the market that can do it, but there are a few websites.  First one that comes to mind is:

http://world.altavista.com/

Maybe you could engage them to see what software they use?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: