Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 20, 2024, 11:15:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "American" steak restaurants in Kiev?  (Read 7052 times)
Frank O
« on: October 28, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Just wondering if anyone knows of any restaurants in Kiev that serve steak like they do here in America? I don't just mean how they prepare it but I mean the PORTIONS? It seems every restaurant I've eaten Ukraine be it Kiev, Lugansk, Zhytomyr, Radomyshl etc serve you portions more fit for an anorexic model. Perhaps that explains the Uke women. Anyways I would just like a nice restaurant to take my wife on her birthday when I arrive.
wsbill
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to "American" steak restaurants i..., posted by Frank O on Oct 28, 2004

Why don't you call them up and overnight you a couple of steaks in to Kiev Huh
raenman
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to "American" steak restaurants i..., posted by Frank O on Oct 28, 2004

Frank, when I was in Kiev last Febuary for 12 days I did not see any steaks on any of the menus at the restaraunts where I ate, nor could I find any beef at the shops.There is a T.G.I.F Fridays in Kiev and me and the girl I was seeing were going to eat there.However, when we went there. she took one look at the menu that was posted outside and said  she didnt like the look of the food on it, so we passed. I would give it a try though, might be your best bet.Ray
Frank O
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: "American" steak restauran..., posted by raenman on Oct 29, 2004

We were the same. I just couldn't find any. I figured there would HAVE to be at LEAST ONE in ALL of Kiev that offered a nice big, fat, artery clogging steak but no dice man. I"ll trying. I might just have to settle for a nice romantic restaurant as opposed to a nice meal.
WmGo
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Steak as you know it
in America does not exist in
the FSU. Russia, Ukraine, Kazakstan,etc.
just do not have a substantial cattle industry
and what livestock they do have are generally of
poor quality. Take a travel into the county and you
will see what I mean.
Zink
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: "American" steak restauran..., posted by WmGo on Oct 28, 2004

While in general you're right William, I have found one good steak restaraunt in Russia. I found out about it from an English guy that was taking the same russian language course at the university that I was. It's on the outskirts of Vladivostok and called "The Canadian Restaraunt". Run by a couple of Canadian expats. A bit pricy(approximately $25 US for one person) but excellent food and large servings. My wife and I went there after an afternoon of paddle boating and swimming in the ocean. Had ceasar salad, garlic bread, steak(of course) and cheese cake. Everything was new for my wife. Vlad is built on pretty rough hills and it was a long waddle up to the highway after all that to catch the bus home.

On a side note my in-laws want me to open up a restaraunt in Vlad serving Canadian and Russian food. I've finally learned the in and outs of the meat markets and how to recognize the best cuts of meat. It was harder than you might think for me considering I'm a hunter and a rancher. They've got an interesting way of butchering and cutting the meat there.

WmGo
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: "American" steak resta..., posted by Zink on Oct 28, 2004

Hey Zinkster!

Thank God there is at least one decent
place in the larget country in the world
to get a real steak! This is great news!
Don't know if I'll ever get to that side of
Russia though. However,I must confess  that
on my first trip to Russia four years ago
I had cow's tounge and it was really good.
I had read about it and swore I would never
eat it. I went to a local restaurant a mile
or so from the Moscow center. My date ordered
it as a side dish so I was obliged to at least
try it. I was surprised at how good it was - and
it didn't really look like a tounge - thank God.

Hope all is well. Hope you kill a big buck - is your
rut kicking in in mid November?

Later.

WmGotoungeman

wsbill
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: "American" steak resta..., posted by Zink on Oct 28, 2004

How do the cut up their meats?  Different from the west?
Zink
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: What's so interesting about their bu..., posted by wsbill on Oct 31, 2004

It looks like they take a slice off the cow the full length of her. Not seperating the different cuts. For example no recognisable steaks, roasts or other things. Just several big hunks of meat about 6 inches thick with different muscles in it laying there. There'll be a chunk of ribs, or half a leg. If you want a piece they'll ask you how much and then cut a chunk with a knife or use a big axe if there're bones. My wife told me to explain to them how to do it better. I told her that I don't go telling people that can hack through a cow leg like that how to do things. If you want hamburger you pick the cuts you like and they throw it in the grinder right in front of you. Hopefully you don't get too many bones chips(a hazard when using a big axe to cut things).

I taught the people I know how to cut across the grain to get tenderer steaks, which parts of the cow have the tenderest meat, don't boil beef(I almost cry when I have to eat boiled beef!) and how to fry or roast the meat properly.

wsbill
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: What's so interesting about their bu..., posted by wsbill on Oct 31, 2004

Why don't you put some a ice chest & dry ice, and mark on the outside "human organs" and when you coming threw customs, tell them your a stomach doctor and you've got to get these in a young lady as soon as possible.

Make sure you look serious too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: