Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 25, 2024, 04:45:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukraine election - I was there  (Read 2242 times)
Albert
« on: November 03, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Thanks to the jet age, I was in Ukraine for their Sunday election and back here in USA to vote in our Tuesday elections.
I went with a gal to a school in Ukraine (same as here) where she cast her ballot.
I was somewhat apprehensive about going at all because of possible violence, etc. . . . but there was none.
Upon reaching the school, I wanted to remain outside, but she insisted I go inside.
There were several military or police inside, but they weren't hassling anyone . . .  just sitting or standing quietly.
Everyone stood in nice lines (hard to find in any other situation in FSU) at alphabetical spots.
One big difference compared to USA was that the completed ballots were just tossed into large bins and people were walking by, looking in the bins, etc.
Other than that, I was quite impressed with the process.
Of course, the word is that the real fraud will occur with the counting.
I questioned why the vote was only for president.  Other elections will be held for their congress.  Answer was that there was talk of changing the system to have president and parliament elected at same time, but it would have meant Kuchma could serve another two years, so the proposal got nowhere.

The latest joke in Ukraine goes like this:
Call to Yanukovych. Good news and bad news.
Good news is you have won election.  Bad news is no one voted for you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: