Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 18, 2024, 06:14:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 220-240 volts to 110-120  (Read 9469 times)
Albert
« on: September 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Guys, I am taking an electrical appliance to Ukraine that runs on 110-120 volts here in USA.  It does not run on dual voltage like some shavers, camera battery rechargers, etc.

So I definitely need the thingy that converts from the 220-240 that comes from the outlet in Ukraine to 110-120 volts.  I can, of course, buy one here in USA and take it with me.  But, given that I always have a ton on things in my suitcases anyway, I was hoping to just buy such a converter there.

My question:  Are such converters readily available in Kyiv.  I don't just mean is it possible to find one after looking all week.  I mean, it is a fairly common item?

Thanks for those who have had actual experience with this and can possibly tell me of the specific place to look in Kyiv.

LP
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to 220-240 volts to 110-120, posted by Albert on Sep 8, 2004

Albert, such things are readily available in Kyiv. However I'd recommend you bring one with you anyway to save the hassle of shopping for one. Just go down to your local Shack or Fry's and buy one, assuming you can tolerate the zombies who often work there.

Btw, more and more devices are being made "international". They will run from 90 to 240 vac on either 50 or 60 hertz.
This is especially true with consumer electronics and battery chargers. As you shop for new toys it's one of the things you should check for, especially in battery powered items. For example most Sony, Panasonic, and Canon products are now international and all you need is an adaptor for the outlet.

I'm careful to look for this when I shop for new gadgets and now everything I own is international. It's becoming a standard, at least in consumer electronics.

KenC
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Albert,
Go to any good travel store at your local mall and pick up a couple before you leave.  The one I bought was small (about the size of an adapter from 2 to 3 prong plugs) and you will not even notice the space that it takes up in your suitcase.  You could even keep them in your shaving kit.  I don't know about the availability in Ukraine, but why take a chance?
KenC
romachko
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: 220-240 volts to 110-120, posted by KenC on Sep 8, 2004

Yes, it's best to buy it here. It's usually hard to find the right one in Ukraine. Also, most electric/mechanical devices are more expensive in Ukraine than here I bought a number of things in Ukraine for my fiancee, e.g., TV, fan, PC, A/C, etc. etc., which cost a lot more there than in the U.S., probably because they were imported and hefty duty had to be paid.

Wal-Mart, Target and other stores sell a transformer kit with various types and sizes of plugs. Read the power capacity before buying so that the transformer won't be overloaded. American Tourister, in my possession, can take up to 1600 W at 10 Amp, enough even for iron. The dimensions: 1.5"X2"X2.5" and weight: 5oz. are small enough to fit in your pocket! Travel Smart, also in my possession, has two settings: 25 W max and 1875 W max. Don't forget to pack an extra fuse(s) or two. It is advisable to pack a long American extension cord with multiple females. When you attach anything to the transformer, the whole thing tends to fall off due to weight. The lightweight extension cord will alleviate this problem.

You still may end up with buying small things like a plug, because European sockets sold in the U.S. won't be solidly attached to the Ukrainian wall outlet.

If you have any knowledge of electricity, you might take an inexpensive miniature digital multi-tester. You can find them at Radio Shack. It eliminates a lot of guesswork. I won't travel, domestic or abroad, without it.

Jeff S
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: 220-240 volts to 110-120, posted by romachko on Sep 8, 2004

I bought several of these when they went on sale for $5 a couple years ago. They work great: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=33499

- Jeff

Gmen99
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: 220-240 volts to 110-120, posted by romachko on Sep 8, 2004

HI: great message romacko! better yet go to lowes,home depot or some where else to buy a inexpensive miniature digital multi-tester! the "shack" sell's the tiny ones for way to much! if you like digi then better yet,if you can read analog thats cheaper,But much annoying! most mulit meters have fuse's in the back.Bring fuse's like romachko
said! when it comes to electricity in other soil,the amps
the meters vary,also if there is many people running
many items at once,it could cause a spike in your
shaver,clock,etc and more so Your ampage will raise
and burn the items out!
romachko
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: 220-240 volts to 110-120inex..., posted by Gmen99 on Sep 9, 2004

It's better to stay with digital. Generally, analog has no polarity and over-range protection, One mistake, bang! For an experienced electronic hobbiest analog gives many uses which digital doesn't, e.g., capacity test, but for a tourist digital is much more useful and carefree.

Some advantages at Radio Shack are variety of types and sizes, and occasional special discount. For model change and other reasons they often cut the price as much as 50 %. Some independent supplier offers a digital at less than $5. If you have more bucks, buy one with auto-range.

Another useful device for tourist is immersion-heating coil. You can make coffee or tea in your room. Always use bottled water, though. An inexpensive hotel in Ukraine doesnft have a coffee maker in your room but a small fridge is usually provided.

wtching4u
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: 220-240 volts to 110-120..., posted by romachko on Sep 9, 2004

I agree
Rags
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

I would think that they would have one at "TZYUM" department store (on Kreshadik) as they have a fairly extensive electronics department there.
Just be sure that it is big enough to support the device load (watts).
wsbill
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Huh??
Gmen99
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi:My suggestion would be to buy the converter first, Hear In the states.You really dont want to be stuck There,without that! i would say its not a common item
and would be hard to find.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: