Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 19, 2024, 10:01:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Birthday Girl"..Starring  (Read 9427 times)
greg
« on: February 23, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Beautiful Nicole Kidman and Ben Chaplin. Perpetually lonely, decidedly mind-mannered bank clerk(Ben)is about to turn his life helter-skelter with a last-ditch attempt at love; ordering a mail order bride off the website "From Russia with Love". The result is an offbeat romance that turns unexpectedly into a rollicking comic thriller when his mysterious, chain-smoking Birthday Girl(Nicole) arrives in England with a surprise in tow; her cousins right behind her. Now (Ben) routine exitence is about to be blown out of the water as he find himself drawn into an adventure he didn't ask for; but might be exactly what he needs. Forced into robbing his own bank to save (Nicole) life, (Ben) discovers that everyone involved has a few surprises. A must see movie for Guys bringing over a MOB .
John K
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to "Birthday Girl"..Starring, posted by greg on Feb 23, 2004

My wife and I didn't care for it much.  We might have been prejudiced, however, by the fact that Nicole Kidman made some rather poor comments about men looking for brides overseas, on the talk show circuit while she was plugging her film.

Even so, it was a cute movie, but not terribly realistic, in our opinion.

greg
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to We thought it was so-so, posted by John K on Feb 23, 2004

at least I learned something about "Scammers". Think of the movie as educational for those into MOB.
AJ277
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Yea, thought it was so and so, posted by greg on Feb 24, 2004

seemed funny if taken for what it is..

but overall just seemed to bolster the crappy stereotype
of the MO bride....

wsbill
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Yea, thought it was so and so, posted by AJ277 on Feb 24, 2004

cities, than say a girl from the simple life in the country side.
Zink
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

I liked "Russian Doll" better. It's an Australian film about a MOB who went to Australia but her fiance dies and she's left trying to find a way to stay in the country. It's funnier and even stars a real Russian actress! I didn't like "Birthday Girl" that much but my wife thought it was hilarious. She liked the goofy way they spoke Russian and a few other things about how they portray Russians. Nicole Kidman is one of her favourite actresses too.
wsbill
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Gag!  Wonder if that AFA movie will ever turn up?
greg
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Save your money if your thinking abo..., posted by wsbill on Feb 23, 2004

already on Dvd and Vhs. Money worth spending to watch.
Jack
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

I wonder if Ben would have chosen this woman if he had really got to know her instead of rushing to marry the first and only Russian woman he wrote too? What would have happened if he had of met a second, or third Russian woman?..... Naaaaw, that makes for common sense, probably not good for the movie.
greg
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: "Birthday Girl"..Starring, posted by Jack on Feb 23, 2004

be learned from watching this movie. Lesson for all Listers who choose to bring a MOB over for Love and Happiness. My opinion is that Nichole used Sex to win Ben's heart and trust. Ben used his little head, plus he allowed himself to be used as a door mat for Nichole to wipe her feet on. Amazing how Women can use Sex to control a Guy.
Jack
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Agree w/ You Jack..Lesson can, posted by greg on Feb 23, 2004

Absolutely right. Women using sex to seal the deal and men thinking with their wrong head.

I think what happens with a lot of guys is they meet a Russian woman who is far prettier, younger than he could ever imagine being able to find in America.  Many guys think this is the only such woman like this, how lucky they were to have met her first thing, or are afraid to let her get away, thinking she might be the best he will find. And a lot of guys will fall, or make themselves think they are falling, for this one fine woman. And when she uses sex, the deal is about done.  

If guys would expand their horizons, meet just a few more ladies, most realize there are MANY such fine ladies they can choose from, not just the first one they met. But trying to get this point across to some men is useless.

wsbill
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to right, posted by Jack on Feb 23, 2004

There is too much hype and costs in the MOB process so a guy is going to be rational and typically pick the first one that comes along, which just shows him any sort of attention.

But what you have to do is ignore all the MOB hype about how saintly these women are and look at this whole evolution as if your trying to find just a decent girl.

The city circuit that the MOB biz revolves around are cities which have more players in them than anythings... Eastern Europe is like a sex playground for Western Europe.

So given that fact you should look in cities that are off the beaten path.  Of course, and if you live in a big city -like downtown, pick a girl that lives in a downtown atmostphere where she is most likely to use to the society in a big city.  IF your out in the sticks, I sincerely doubt if your going to find many women who will want to live in rural america...even with electricity and indoor plumbing.   but the country side girls, just might.

Be selectived in this process.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: