Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
May 07, 2024, 02:43:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M.I.L. visa paperwork  (Read 7647 times)
Stan
« on: January 18, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Hey guys, just wondering what paperwork besides an "Official letter of Invitation", DS-156 did you send with her for her interview. I have written a letter on her behalf and so has my father who went with us to Crimea last year just simply talking about her integrity. Plan on sending a copy of my Army Discharge, ( heard it helps to be a Vet.) copy of mine and the Mrs. passports and a copy of our marrige ceritificate. Oh, also a copy of Tanya's birth certificate. Anything else we should be sending along?
Thanks,
Stan
SteveM
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to M.I.L. visa paperwork, posted by Stan on Jan 18, 2004

I know that people's experience varies greatly with MIL visas.  Some are approved fairly quickly; others rudely rejected without consideration.  While my experience may be somewhat out-of-date, I remember that several of us in the same situation were able to determine that the following factors helped get approval:

1. "hostages" - spouse, and more importantly, other children or grandchildren still living there.

2.  income from a good job, or even better, owning a small business that requires their presence.

3.  property ownership -- this one did not help us much during the initial rejection, but property values in some areas have risen significantly in the last couple of years.

4.  other compelling ties -- we documented that my MIL was the sole caretaker of her (then) 90 year old mother.

The trump card is previous foreign travel to U.S. or Western Europe (with timely return), which means they have a much harder time proving that she won't return this time.

Documenting this information may or may not make any difference in the initial decision, but providing a list of what she submitted to a Senator/Congressman's office will help interest them in your case if you need to appeal an initial rejection.

Again this disclaimer: the criteria change over time (and sometimes between interviewers/reviewers).  This may be overkill, or it may not help at all, but it can't hurt, either...

Stan
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Document Ties to Home, posted by SteveM on Jan 20, 2004

Thanks for the answers I got,,,,,,, but basically what we're dealing with here is; 72 year old woman who lived all her life in the USSR, retired, no outside work. When we were there this summer, we took her to Yalta for the day. Lived in Simferopol for 40 years, had never traveld 60 minutes to Yalta. Has two other daughters living in Simferopol ,(we are getting copies of their birth certificates) and 3 grandchildren living there. Co-owns their Apt. w/my wife and her sister. Has strong ties to her church, and makes it downstairs to the neighborhood market maybe 3 times a week. 1 good eye and false teeth, REAL bad heart. I'm guessing it's gonna be hard to show any ties to Simferopol other than our word.
SteveM
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Document Ties to Home, posted by Stan on Jan 20, 2004

I dont agree at all--2 other daughters and 3 grandchildren should help a whole lot.
Stevo
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Document Ties to Home, posted by Stan on Jan 20, 2004

ggg
Stevo
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to M.I.L. visa paperwork, posted by Stan on Jan 18, 2004

visa in the mail...no interview required.

Stevo

Apk1
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Well, all I sent was an invite letter, t..., posted by Stevo on Jan 19, 2004

The "elf" process your Russian M.I.L. went through was a simple application including a $100 fee, I think for Ukraine it is a very different process. My M.I.L. was here for a month during Xmas, her Russian visa was also mailed to her without an interview, but I think that applies to those older than 60 y.o.

I have several friends with Ukrainian wives, some have been able to get their M.I.L here, some have not been successfully.
It goes back to those that meet all of the requirements...such as good job to return to, family, children, property...etc.  The embassy does not intend to give a tourist visa to a 35 y.o. who has no viable means of support.

Stan
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Well, all I sent was an invite letter, t..., posted by Stevo on Jan 19, 2004

Was she here before? A friend of ours down in Texas just had her mother "shot down" in Kiev. Back in Sept.,,, Dan posted that his MIL had to go back to Kiev after they requested the last 3 years of tax returns from him so she had to make a return trip. I requested a March 3rd appointment and it was granted and just wondering what else to send with her as she is VERY old and 2 trips to Kiev could very well be her last. (Actually, I'll be VERY surprised if she makes it back home alive after seeing how Americans live and how the USSR lied to them.) I do have very good insurance lined up for her when she gets here, or if?  Wink  
Thanks in advance,,,,
Stevo
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Well, all I sent was an invite lette..., posted by Stan on Jan 19, 2004

ggg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: