Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 19, 2024, 06:11:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukraine will soon be a part of Russia  (Read 25785 times)
wsbill
« on: December 25, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

The way things are sounding, looks like some really do want to turn back the clocks and maintain control over the people.

http://abroad.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2003/12/25/011.html

what do you guys think of this ?

T P Cornholio
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ukraine will soon be a part of Russia, posted by wsbill on Dec 25, 2003

This is not Ukraine becoming part of Russia, but Kuchma trying to become Tsar of Ukraine.  Some in Parliment are trying to limit sufferage of Ukrainian people.  Note the headline erroneously states "Ukraine Votes to Change Constitution" whereas it is NOT the people of Ukraine who are voting.  Ukraine does have a plan in place with intention to join the EU, but will take ~5 years.

that guy
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ukraine will soon be a part of Russia, posted by wsbill on Dec 25, 2003

Nope.
John F
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

If I understood the article you posted correctly, it said nothing about Ukraine merging with Russia.  I understood it to be about an internal power struggle and possibly something Kuchma devised to remain in power indefinitely.
wsbill
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Huh I didn't read it that way., posted by John F on Dec 25, 2003

The Ukrainian constitution is being rewritten and the people aren't having their say.  Just like those who are voicing their objection being removed from the building.

Lynn
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: If King Kuchma stays in power, posted by wsbill on Dec 26, 2003

It happens here all the time, the boob tube and the New Yuck Times don't report that though.
tfcrew
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Huh I didn't read it that way., posted by John F on Dec 25, 2003

I didn't see the word "Russia" mentioned at all.
Interesting though, to read about the Ukrainian (delegates?) brawling it out.
mudd
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Never happen, too many Ukrainians don’t like mother Russia, and want their own language back, not the Russian language. They are coming more independent each year from Russia, and even with all the problems that they have, I doubt that they will ever go back, unless there is a military takeover or something and a pro Russian is put into place. If Ukraine ever joins the EU, they will be a big influence, and a Spanish friend of mine is very worried if they do join. Her input was that they are very smart and hard working and will be a Hugh power influence, so well see if it will actually happen one of these days.
Haroshij
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Ukraine will soon be a part of Russi..., posted by mudd on Dec 25, 2003

I think there will be a very long way for Ukraine to go before they can join the EU. They need to get control of their economy first. The EU has strict demands to every country who wants to join the union, in fact so strict that they sometimes even are broken by some of the most developed countries. Strange as it is, Norway is one of few countries who fills all the demands, and they don't want to become a member. However, it looks like the public opinion is changing in favour of the Union now, and personally I think Norway should participate in the great endeavour to make peace in Europe and to balance the influence of the USA

Haroshij

Cold Warrior
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

I more believe Belarus will eventually join with Russia.
FLASH2D
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Not likely......., posted by Cold Warrior on Dec 25, 2003

i'm in agreement here. ukr. is experiencing growing pains, but is totally enjoying the ways of the west. western companies are really infiltrating and influencing their economy. there are a few loyal commies around and of course the mafia is extremely influential, but they are in many other countries as well. i've only visited belarus a few times but it seems they miss the rule of the com. gov. the most. many of the business people i've met, long for the old days when their life was all planned for them. to bad, it's a beautiful country and being land locked may have something to do with the attitude they possess about being independent. the baltics wasted no time in branching out and courting the eu. they should be members soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: