Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
March 29, 2024, 03:41:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Babushka visitor visa?  (Read 21686 times)
Apk1
« on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

My mother in law wishes to visit us this summer so we are looking into the vistor visa requirements....

The U.S. embassy web page states that to qualify the person needs strong economic and family ties to Russia to guarantee they will return back home...

My question is to anyone who has had success in this....

If my stepson's babushka is on a pension, and has no other close living relatives....but has a flat....does she still qualify?

The cost of the visa application is $100, non refundable so I am trying to get as much success information before she heads down to the elf station (not embassy)to give them the application and fee...

apk

SteveM
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Babushka visitor visa?, posted by Apk1 on Dec 25, 2002

apk (Lee?),

We have been on both the up and down sides of that roller coaster with my mother-in-law.  She also lives on a pension, owns an apartment and a dacha, and has no husband or other children in Russia.  She had never been out of the country when she first applied for a visitor visa a year ago in February.

We were hopeful that she would get a visa because she was the daily caretaker for her now 90-year old mother, and had documents from the doctor to explain the need for full-time live-in care.  She also had a letter from her sister from Ukraine, telling the dates that she could come stay with her mom.

The interview was quick; the interviewer was very rude; and the application rejected without any review of the case.  This caused a lot of pain for all involved at the time.

This year, we decided to go the Congressional letter route.  We were able to get one Senator's office to find out what was recorded in her file (answer: nothing about the documents presented, so we could argue that she didn't get a fair hearing).  Our represenative wrote a letter asking for a careful review of the new application; the other Senator's office emailed a concern to the Embassy.

She was approved without any questions and was able to come visit in March and April.

She applied again to come over for Christmas and New Year's and was sent the visa without an interview.  Visits are now limited to 30 days unless you ask for longer, but the visas are multiple entry and good for one year.

So, what to do in your case?  Here is what I would think:

1.  Try to assemble as much documentary evidence of her ties to Russia (even clubs/organizations/groups she participates in; relatives she cares for; ownership of a car, whatever).  Include copies of the deeds/ownership papers for the flat.  The point is to get legitimate arguments on paper, and give the consular official a chance to either look at them (which may help, but may not) or reject them out of hand (bad for the first application, but maybe better for the second).

2.  Don't expect it to make any difference at all.  If she has never been out of the country before, the application will probably be rejected.  Try to warn all concerned that this is a possibility beforehand.

3.  If the application is rejected, contact the immigration/INS liasons in your Representative's and two Senators' offices and explain the situation.  They have heard this story many times.  Some will be sympathetic; others not very.  In our case, the "not very" was the one who was able to get a response from the Counsulate that confirmed our story about the lack of any review of the case before being rejected.

4.  If the Counsular official has carefully reviewed the evidence, documented the materials submitted with the application, and noted the reasons for rejection, there is not too much you can do about it.  They are pretty much the final word without appeal.  However, in the more likely event that he/she did not put all of this in the file, you can make this the basis for your request for Congressional assistance with a new application.

5.  If you can get a good letter out of any of the three Congressional offices, your chances for approval on the second application go way up.  In our case, the Representative's letter was stapled on top of the application when my mother-in-law went for her interview.  There were no questions the second time, just polite formalities while the approval was granted.

I don't know how universally applicable this is, but hope it helps.  I do know that life can be rough for a while after a rejection, and much sweeter after an approval.  Good luck with your quest.

Steve M.

Apk1
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Babushka visitor visa--Our Experience, posted by SteveM on Dec 25, 2002

Thanks Steve for this information...my wife does not believe me...When her friends have been visited by thier mother, she expects she will also get a visit. But I suspect she will find out the hard way when her mother's application is denied.

Who is Lee?

SteveM
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Babushka visitor visa--Our Experienc..., posted by Apk1 on Dec 26, 2002

Apk,

Sorry about the Lee, got you confused with someone else I was helping last year.

As far as other people's mothers, I ran into the same problem.  Everyone has stories to tell--good and bad--and sometimes it seems that they will deploy them to your maximum disadvantage.

People don't factor things like previous visits out of the country, marital status, other children in Russia, and business ownership or a good-paying job into their stories, but they seem to be the biggest factors that determine whether an initial visa application is approved (or even given consideration).

Getting a rude out-of-hand rejection is tough for anyone, and the US Consulate officials seem to take special pride in being rude to relatively older ladies.  For them it is a big shock.

The only good that comes out of it is that their behavior is often bad enough, and their consideration of the application cursory enough, that they leave you room to ask for (and hopefully, get) effective Congressional intervention.

If it comes to that, ask me and I will send you a copy of my Congressional letter.

Steve M.

Apk1
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Other People's Mothers, posted by SteveM on Dec 26, 2002

My wife was on the internet for hours last night, checking out Russian women forums to see what they had to say...

What her sources told her:

A Russian woman over the age of 65 should not have a problem getting a tourist visa, the embassy does not think of someone that age as being a risk.

The embassy encourages older visa applicants to get a immagrant visa rather than a tourist visa....they say it is easier to obtain....??  I have not a explanation for that one..

I guess my mother in law would be considered to be a business owner now, she rents out my wife's other flat and keeps the money for her needs...so that might be an edge.

Things are changing rapidly re: INS lately, many women complain that thier green cards are being put on hold, even women that have filed for U.S. citizenship are being told that they are on an indefinite wait...

Many stories on R.W. abroad web page (in Russian) about lousy marriages...my wife had a good laugh at some of the stories she read me.

I guess we will try an send in the visa application and see what will happen..

apk

KenC
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Babushka visitor visa?, posted by Apk1 on Dec 25, 2002

apk,
My mother-in-law had no problem getting a visa but her circumstances were different from what you describe.  She has a good government job, owns an apartment, left behind her husband and had been out of the country before (and returned).  We are anxiously awaiting their (both parents) visa interview on December 26th.  Lena's dad has never been out of the country and we would like them both to come for a visit together.  Their chances for success? Beats me.  I will let you know tomorrow.
KenC
KenC
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Babushka visitor visa?, posted by KenC on Dec 25, 2002

Both visas were issued with no problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: