Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 17, 2024, 09:17:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aeroflot's Extra Weight Penaltys...  (Read 7456 times)
RickM
« on: December 22, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Maybe somebody has flown Aeroflot "inside" Russia from Moscow lately and can give me a straight answer...

Aeroflots' web page says you can carry total 20kg and penalty for extra weight is 1% of 1st class one-way ticket for each additional kg "over" limit...No mention about "carry-on" allowance or total amounts of bags allowed to carry  per ticket holder...

Delta says you can bring 50lbs.total,up to 2 bags for chech-in and 1 carry-on and penalty is $7.00 per additional kg.(2.2lbs.)over 50lbs.

Aeroflot New York Office says 1 checked bag up to 20kg and 1carry-on up to 5kg and it cost $1.00 per lb. extra above 45kg total per ticket holder...

I'm confused.............

hockeybrain
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Aeroflot's Extra Weight Penaltys..., posted by RickM on Dec 22, 2002

Last time I flew they put all your bags on a scale and it has to be 25 kg or lower.  I think it is 20 kg for the large bag and 5 for the carry on maximum when you get down to it.
wilmc
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Aeroflot's Extra Weight Penaltys..., posted by RickM on Dec 22, 2002

Aeroflot excess baggage fees are very expensive. My experience was in London.  I am sorry I did not retain the details.  My RW girl friend, Galina, and I had spent a holiday in Spain and London.  We flew business class from Malaga Spain to London on Iberia.  Flying Bus. Class there were no baggage charges. After our week in London we packed up all Galina's souvenirs from Spain and the UK.  When we got to Heathrow for Galina's flight, tourist class, back to Moscow, we were charged 90 Pounds, about $140, for her excess baggage.

I called her when she arrived back home and she reminded me that we had foolishly packed some Spanish onions in her bag.  I told her to be sure and enjoy them for they were surely the most expensive onions she would ever eat.

Bottom line, be sensible in your packing, perhaps by packing the bag so that less important items can be removed quickly.  It may be cheaper to send some items via mail or express.  Get the facts on the fees specific to your location.  It is expensive to learn the "hard way." As always, "be careful."

RickM
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Thanks for the info...I called Delta again this morning and they told me "this year" Aeroflot "Stopped" honoring USA weight limits for "inside" Russia (Russian domestic flights)

This is what they told me...Leaving USA and arriving to Moscow (or if transit and going through but not staying in Russia) that you are allowed to bring a total of 3 bags per person.2 of the bags have 70lbs.limit each and must be checked in cargo and you can bring 1 carry-on up to 40lbs. as well as 1 personal ithem like a pocketbook or laptop....

THE PROBLEM COMES when you take "another" flight "out of Moscow irregardless of where you originated from" to some other part of Russia (a Russian domestic flight)...THEN...Aeroflots' weight limits change to an allowance of only 20kg of cargo check-in per ticketed passenger and another carry-on of up to 5kg.THAT'S ABOUT ONE HALF OF USA WEIGHT LIMITS...AND THE PENALTY IS $7.00 usa PER KILO OVER THE TOTAL 45kg ALLOWANCE LIMIT...

"MY THOUGHTS WERE"...My wife and I are bringing along our 10 month old son along and it "NO CHARGE" for children under 3yrs.old...IT'D BE CHEAPER TO BUT AN ECONOMY SEAT FOR THE KID AND HAVE AN EXTRA 45KG THAN TO BE PENALIZED $7.00 usa FOR EVERY EXTRA KILO OVER THE LIMIT..."Russian Traditions"...You MUST bring gifts along for the family..."SHEEEET"...My wife has a suitcase weighting 60 or 70 lbs. just for gifts... Sad(((((

Philb
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Are you asking about Aeroflot's international flights or their domestic flights?  There are different wght restrictions for each. Supposedly, when connecting with a domestic flight from an international flight the higher wght limit applies.  But as is typical in Russia no one seems aware of this rule and they charge you the excess wght penalties.  I have heard of people arguing this point with mixed results.

My personal experience is as follows.  Sometimes I have been charge and some times they do not seem to care. I have been charged this fee twice out of 6 flights (and I am always over wght.) .  I do not remember exactly what I was charged, but it was not cheap.  The worst part was after standing in the check in line for about a half hour they sent me to a different window to purchase the over wght ticket.  After that it was back to the end of the line for another half hour wait.  

Some info concerning carry ons.  The size allowance for carry ons is much smaller on the domestic flights then what we are used to.  On my first trip I had to check my carry on.  Now I just use a small back pack. I have only been asked once to wgh the back pack.

Mike
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

My wife went to Moscow a month ago and said that for over sea flights you're aloud 1 carry-on up to 8Kg and 2 suitcases not more then 36kg each, and about 2 dollars per ever kg over that.

Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: